Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 06:54 PM

894 posts, read 1,560,245 times

Advertisements

Have a contractor friend that told me VT got a list of LaValley's(W.Leb. NH) VT commercial customers and collected from them. VT has a vicious tax machine. But for grocery shopping, etc. I don't think they catch individuals at least not a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 07:09 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,241,502 times
OMG shopping in Vermont is awful.
Hate having to go to multiple stores for multiple items and being overcharged.
And if you want to see some decent entertainment usually plan on crossing a border.
Why don't I move?
I am hoping to someday lol.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:27 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,859,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Have a contractor friend that told me VT got a list of LaValley's(W.Leb. NH) VT commercial customers and collected from them. VT has a vicious tax machine. But for grocery shopping, etc. I don't think they catch individuals at least not a regular basis.
LOL, only cross the border to shop in hours of darkness, have your license plates obscurred by dirt, snow, or ice, pay cash, wear a balaclava to conceal your face, and on you way home take as many backroads as possible and make lots of turns to see who is following you. Big tax brother is watching.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:46 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,789,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post
OMG shopping in Vermont is awful.
Hate having to go to multiple stores for multiple items and being overcharged.
And if you want to see some decent entertainment usually plan on crossing a border.
Why don't I move?
I am hoping to someday lol.
I'm guessing you're quite a distance from Burlington...

Old 12-02-2008, 05:51 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,502,964 times
I lived for many years in Brooklyn, NY, and I experienced a similar situation. Prices are high, and you still have to go to different stores for different purposes, unless you went to a department store. Most people choose to price shop and save money, I think, rather than opt to buy more things under one roof.

In New York, though, as well as in many other places, there are malls. So you are under one roof and can go to lots of stores. But they are big and you still have to do a lot of walking.

In Manhattan, there are high class stores to shop in, and I guess people get a lot of pleasure from that. But in the outer boroughs, there are few high class stores, except in the pricey neighborhoods. And these are local boutiques.

I haven't heard of New York going after people who buy tax free in other states or over the Internet, though. Maybe the state does. I don't know. But there are a lot more people in New York than in Vermont, so I can't imagine they make much of an effort. I think Brooklyn alone has almost 4 times the population of the entire state of Vermont.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:18 PM

Back in the day for everyday wares it was the neighborhood Woolworths. For a weekend treat and mall shopping "out in the country" it was a trip to Roosevelt Field. Like I said, this was quite some time ago. As far as present day Vermont goes, in the Burlington area, there are plenty of options and if you you can't get it here just go online and before you know it the Fed Ex or UPS truck will be in your driveway.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:26 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,082,182 times
I really miss Woolworths. They closed them all years ago in NY...The last time I shopped at one was when I was in the United Kingdom (England) in 2000.
If we had one here, I would shop there all the time.
My husband and I agree they had what you couldn't find anywhere else!

Old 12-03-2008, 06:06 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,965,261 times
NY is one of the only states that Amazon charges sales tax for. NY sued them for the tax, and while they are collecting it right now, I think Amazon sued them back or something. I used to shop from Amazon a lot, I still do, but now it really bugs me that I have to pay tax AND sometimes shipping.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:20 AM

The quest for revenue is going to unleash an aggressive array of means and methods to get every last nickel. Kind of funny that our very own Sen Shumlin now rides in like one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse uttering dire words of unprecedented cuts coming our way as well as a flurry of other vernacular flourish which we have come to expect. Well, the lights of this locomotive were visible a few years ago and it was the likes of Shumlin and the gang who were at the throttles. No doubt we will have a consortium of the meek who will still insist on putting an ear to the rail despite the fact of how close that coming train wreck is. The crazy part of it all is that a major part of hope revolves around a sought after and expected bailout. I have heard the rhetoric and rationale that because Vermont was second only to Hawaii regarding voting for Obama that should be a pass to get ahead of the line at the trough. Then Shumlin comes out and actually exclaims now is the time "to make love to Washington." Absolutely pathetic. There are many more more states and cities in the nation that will carry more legitimate needs for federal money than Vermont. We will be lucky to keep getting what we have gotten in the past.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:39 AM

894 posts, read 1,560,245 times
We should get 3 electoral votes worth of bailout money-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont