Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 07:58 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,796,642 times

Advertisements

I love when the weather forecasters quote the possible accumulation in feet, rather than inches.

Tonight they say we'll end up with better than 2 feet before we're all finished tomorrow morning. It's been snowing all day. I've shoveled my driveway three times.

The snow is just pouring out of the sky. It's so beautiful and still.

I've was a ski instructor for 18 years at a place an hour down the road called Sugarbush. Terrific place...

But not being a pro at the moment I have the luxury of going somewhere else tomorrow.

I'm guessing I'll go to Jay Peak. It's a special place and they've already gotten (prior to this storm...wait for it...) 131 inches of snow this season. And it's been a dismal year for snow.

So I'll get up at 6, be in the car at 7, drive the glorious hour and a half to Jay.

Being a weekday, there won't be anybody there, so I'll have fresh tracks all day long.

Life is good.

Any skiers here? Meet me at the main base lodge at 9AM for a free powder clinic! I'll be the guy with the huge grin on my face.

Cheers,
David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 06:44 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,976,226 times
Sigh. I'm so jealous. We got a measly 2" here in NYC, with ice. What a bummer. I wish I was up there. It snowed a little while we were up there two weeks ago, but nothing like what you got yesterday.

Take some pictures!!!!

:-)

Old 02-15-2007, 08:09 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,513,762 times
And the snow wasn't powdery. Just a heavy, slippery, dangerous nuisance.

It was good snowman snow, though.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:33 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,976,226 times
Apparently, Stowe got 3-4 feet. Avalanche warnings in the backcountry!

ARGH. I'm beyond jealous.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:16 AM

23,672 posts, read 70,796,309 times
Heh! I'm not jealous. Had too much of the stuff as a kid. Give it a couple days for the dogs to doo their thing, and the sand and salt to turn the snow on the roads into an abrasive windshield haze whenever a truck passes by. Then tell me how great it is.

Sometimes it is fun being a curmugeon.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:36 PM

267 posts, read 1,838,892 times
When does the snow start to melt and get warm? I'm curious to when spring begins up there. I'm guessing March/April like everywhere else. We are moving there right in the middle of March so I wasn't sure if I need to keep my coat out or not.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv80s View Post
When does the snow start to melt and get warm? I'm curious to when spring begins up there. I'm guessing March/April like everywhere else. We are moving there right in the middle of March so I wasn't sure if I need to keep my coat out or not.

...it depends where in VT you are.

3 of the largest snow storms in VT history have been in March. But March is also known for sun and gorgeous warm Spring Skiing.

If you're in the mountains, keep your snow gear handy, but make sure you can find your sunscreen. In town (Burlington in my case) make sure you can find your sunscreen, and keep your snow gear handy.

Moving in mid March you're unlikely to find the snow an impediment. But you could get a storm...

Old 02-15-2007, 11:18 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,970,988 times
Ha! I just got home from what was supposed to be an eight hour shift at work that began yesterday at 8 a.m. Work is at a group home for developmentally disabled folks halfway up a mountain on a single lane road right next to Jay Peak. According to the weather bureau we got 50" in 18 hours. I guess that does not take drifts into consideration. It took a bucket loader and a grader with the biggest wing that I've ever seen make the road passable and we didn't go anywhere for 40 hours.

It was fun. It was trying. It was an accomplishment just to shovel a path to a car that was only visible from its antenna. We got snow in a big way that I haven't seen since the blizzard of 78 down by Providence, RI. Thankfully, we didn't lose electricity or we would have all gone mad.

I came home to a plowed driveway. Thanks, Bugger! Still had to shovel a path to the house and my anxious dog waiting inside who hadn't gone out since 7 a.m. yesterday. Amazingly, there wasn't **** and pee to clean up. I couldn't believe it. Thanks Tiffy!

What a load. My wife has been snowed in at her job as well doing work as an in-home caregiver. She might be able to come home tomorrow. Please make it home safely Sweetie. It's been a stressful and soul rendering couple of days. Glad it's behind me . I thought I'd never see such a beautiful sight as that pair of headlights coming up that one lane road tonight at 11:30 signifying that I had a replacement for me at work.

But when all is said and done... Hey, it snowed and nobody died that I know of and my house didn't collapse and my wife is safe and warm. The world ain't so bad and I'm going skiing this weekend - at Jay, of course! Sorry I'll miss ya by a day or two, chaz.

BTW: the **** word was p*o*o*p. C'mon CDF!

Last edited by square peg; 02-16-2007 at 12:00 AM..

Old 02-16-2007, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Ha! I just got home from what was supposed to be an eight hour shift at work that began yesterday at 8 a.m. Work is at a group home for developmentally disabled folks halfway up a mountain on a single lane road right next to Jay Peak. According to the weather bureau we got 50" in 18 hours. I guess that does not take drifts into consideration. It took a bucket loader and a grader with the biggest wing that I've ever seen make the road passable and we didn't go anywhere for 40 hours.

It was fun. It was trying. It was an accomplishment just to shovel a path to a car that was only visible from its antenna. We got snow in a big way that I haven't seen since the blizzard of 78 down by Providence, RI. Thankfully, we didn't lose electricity or we would have all gone mad.

I came home to a plowed driveway. Thanks, Bugger! Still had to shovel a path to the house and my anxious dog waiting inside who hadn't gone out since 7 a.m. yesterday. Amazingly, there wasn't **** and pee to clean up. I couldn't believe it. Thanks Tiffy!

What a load. My wife has been snowed in at her job as well doing work as an in-home caregiver. She might be able to come home tomorrow. Please make it home safely Sweetie. It's been a stressful and soul rendering couple of days. Glad it's behind me . I thought I'd never see such a beautiful sight as that pair of headlights coming up that one lane road tonight at 11:30 signifying that I had a replacement for me at work.

But when all is said and done... Hey, it snowed and nobody died that I know of and my house didn't collapse and my wife is safe and warm. The world ain't so bad and I'm going skiing this weekend - at Jay, of course! Sorry I'll miss ya by a day or two, chaz.

BTW: the **** word was p*o*o*p. C'mon CDF!

Wow, Square Peg...sounds like a bit of a nail-biter.

I'll keep my fingers crossed - let us know when your wife's back safely!

Enjoy Jay Peak this weekend. You'll be able to find untracked snow for weeks up there if Thursday's experience is any guide!

btw - I was most impressed with the quality of the roads from Burlington to Jay Peak and back yesterday. Those little towns (like Montgomery Center) are just gorgeous and the traveling was smooth.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:13 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,970,988 times
Hey, she made it home! And it's been snowing again today. Only a few inches, though, but the wind is quite persistent and is shaping some really interesting drifts. I am presently living amongst some of the largest snowbanks that I can remember. I shoveled out our mailbox. A paycheck! (no direct deposit offered) I'm still not sure how the mailman accomplished that feat. I shoveled out a couple of bird feeders and refilled them. Just seeing birds outside is quite comforting to me. I got the wood stove going. I still have two roofs to shovel and then... and then I shall doze off.

Thanks for crossing your fingers, chaz. And, yeah, isn't Montgomery a special little town. Seven covered bridges! and five of them are still in service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont