Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 06:11 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times

Advertisements

Bee - the fact that you pay alot of property taxes for a one bedroom condo is because you chose to buy in Stowe. It's all about valuation so if you choose to live in a place like Stowe where real estate is worth way more than most towns in Vermont your going to pay more. Hardly indicutive of the whole state.

The property taxes for my one bedroom condo here in Waitsfield is $700 minus the Homestead discount for Vermont residents who make less than $90,00(I think) it ends up about $400 in property taxes per year.

If you want to not pay high property taxes then one simply has to stay away from places like Stowe, Manchester and the other resort towns. Also, the bigger the house, the more it's worth, the more your going to pay in property taxes.

Think of it this way...you pay higher taxes in Stowe cause you live in such a beautiful place.

Last edited by MRVphotog; 07-25-2008 at 06:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 06:35 PM

862 posts, read 1,050,419 times
Also,propery assements vary widely from place to place.I once got the entire
board in a Rutland County town out to my place to look at a meadow under 3 feet of
water they had valued at 90K as a building lot.
They knocked it down to 45K "cse it wasn't underwater ALL year.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:35 PM

Stayy away from Stowe and Manchester??? ALL of Bennington and Rutland county
have high property taxes.My sister in Rutland town payses $4700 on a house assessed at 154K.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:36 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Bee - the fact that you pay alot of property taxes for a one bedroom condo is because you chose to buy in Stowe. It's all about valuation so if you choose to live in a place like Stowe where real estate is worth way more than most towns in Vermont your going to pay more. Hardly indicutive of the whole state.

The property taxes for my one bedroom condo here in Waitsfield is $700 minus the Homestead discount for Vermont residents who make less than $90,00(I think) it ends up about $400 in property taxes per year.

If you want to not pay high property taxes then one simply has to stay away from places like Stowe, Manchester and the other resort towns. Also, the bigger the house, the more it's worth, the more your going to pay in property taxes.

Think of it this way...you pay higher taxes in Stowe cause you live in such a beautiful place.
?

This Bee does not own any condos or any property in Stowe. Perhaps this was meant for another poster?

Old 08-19-2008, 05:54 AM

30 posts, read 105,996 times
This thread has strayed from its original theme: Rednecks!

You know what I hate? When you drive by the log cabin, and the redneck is sitting in his rocking chair, barefoot, drinking a bottle of moonshine and cleaning his shotgun. Yeah I hate that.
Or when granny is cooking a big pot of possum stew back by the cee-ment pond, stinking up the neighborhood. Yeah, I hate that too.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:46 PM

219 posts, read 481,265 times
Actually, Springfield and Rutland hasn't snowed that much.

That should go to Buffalo, NY and Rochester, NY.

And Colorado seems to get the latest snow events, snow in May is likely there!

Old 08-24-2008, 06:40 PM

3 posts, read 31,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgett View Post
I have lived in rural Maine (Skowhegan) and rural West Virginia (Mingo Falls) for all my life. That is, almost 50% of my life in Maine, and the rest of it presently in W. Va. While I love living in these rural areas, and love all the benefits one can enjoy from a country life, I have to admit that there has always been a negative side (in my opinion) to being in the "boonies/small towns." That downside I am refering to is rednecks. I am refering to those denizens of rural America who live in broken-down trailers or homes with old junker cars sitting on blocks on the lawn for all to see, old fridges rotting and rusting out back, and all manner of litter and old tires strewn about. These folks take no pride in their communities and are the first ones to complain about where they live as they do not appreciate the unsung benefits of rural living in today's America. They have a most conservative mindset too. They believe painting one's house and tidying up their yards will only make their taxes go up, so they chose to live in squallor as this is better on their wallets. They usually drive the biggest pick-up possible, even if they never haul anything in the back payload. They usually smoke and are often-times big drinkers. They favor NASCAR and monster truck pulls. I won't go on. You know the type.

Does Vermont harbor this species of country dweller as does interior Maine and rural West Virginia? Are they perhaps less noticeable than in my two states? My wife and I are seriously considering Vermont, New Hampshire or perhaps upstate New York to move to due to business reasons primarily, and, secondarily, to get away from the rednecks I have been living near for all my life. BTW, I am expressing an opinion that is mine. It is in no way meant to be a slam on a lifestyle that many endorse and love to live. I am saying, however, that I do not choose to live this way, and wish to live in a part of the country (pun intended) that has less or none of it.

1.Here in Texas, a redneck is someone who's down to earth, lives for their family and friends, and does an honest day's work for a living.

2. Not all Rednecks favor Nascar and monster truck pulls.

3. The next time you see a broken down junk car in the yard or an appliance in the same place, and even paint pealing from the sides of the house, please take the following into consideration before making a judgement: Some people are unable to afford to paint their houses every year, have no money to have the "junk" in their yards hauled away, and many of those people you have just described actually live on a very low income-not because they don't work or take pride in their homes and lives, but because they are unable to find a better paying job and many don't have the education needed to get the better paying jobs that are available. People donot choose to live that way, they are forced to do so because they have no other choice and way to change things.

(I am a Redneck and proud to admit it. You did offend me. You used a term that you know nothing about.)
JUDGE NOT LEST YE BE JUDGED.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:55 PM

Upstate rural NY is the undiscovered gem, Far and away the prettiest part of the US!
Only drawback is high property taxes no worse than VT.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,646 times
Default what a redneck truly is

what you are describing is more accurately called white trash in the white race and ******s in the black. No racial slur intended just accurate definitions. A redneck is not simply rough around the edges a redneck is usally lower middle class but does not fit in so the extreme country actions give these people a bond. the best way to describe a redneck is the opposite of A country gentleman. A country gentleman loves the rural life and the manners and hospitality that are associated with this class. they celebrate the best in the rural culture. rednecks celebrate the worst of this culture and use it as a ralling cry in an attempt to overcome poor family values and morals and bond with other similar types of people in which they can feel comfortable. please remember country is good redneck is bad.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:41 PM

697 posts, read 2,014,601 times
LOL, Rusty the Logger would take issue with this thread. He's the greatest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont