Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 04:47 PM

31 posts, read 101,654 times

Advertisements

We have been considering a move back to VT for some time now.
Brandon seems like a wonderful place, does anyone have any
info to share? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 05:57 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,187,384 times
I lived in Orwell, 15 minutes from Brandon from '98 to '04 and I watched Brandon progressively improve it's main street during that time. It really went from Ho-Hum to quite an attractive and bustling community. My in-law's have an 800+ farm in Orwell but also own 200+ acres along otter creek at the foot of Brandon Gap along Rt 73; it's a beautiful area and you're not too far from Middlebury or Rutland.

Sean

Old 02-19-2007, 09:55 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
I really like Brandon. It's a nice small town thats undergone a renaisance (I can't spell this morning) over the past few years. It's home to a great restaurant - Cafe Provence, and a lot of other more casual restaurants. A good bookstore too.
It's about 20 minutes to Rutland where most of you shopping will most likely be done. Brandon has a small grocery store, but the big ones are in Rutland.
Schools? Don't know much about them other than the kids will go to Otter Valley Union HS for middle & high school.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:13 AM

413 posts, read 1,588,322 times
Default Up and coming

I live about 10 minutes from Brandon and have found the town to be very nice. There is a thriving artist community with the main draw being Warren Kimble. The town fathers along with some very active residents have brought Brandon back from a defunct manufacturing town to a bedroom community to Rutland and Middlebury. No big box stores so you're going to have to make the trip to Rutland for those. Brandon hosts what they claim to be the biggest 4th of July parade in the state. I can't attest to that, but it is a fun time.
Just like most every other town in Vermont, it has the requisite church, cemetary and village green. Park St has some of the most beautiful homes I have ever seen in addition to a few B&B's.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,113 times
Default Thoughts on Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschoolingfam View Post
We have been considering a move back to VT for some time now.
Brandon seems like a wonderful place, does anyone have any
info to share? Thank you!
I have read all the lauditory comments regarding our village, and they are true. This is truly a wonderful place to live. But, and you know there was a "but" coming..............

I believe Brandon has the highest percentage of welfare recipients in the state.

I do not mean this in a hateful way, but, in my humble opinion, we have more than our share of fat,(don't get me going on the morbidly obese) ignorant people with poor personal hygene. Perhaps that is the legacy of the former Brandon Training School, an institution which housed (warehoused?) folks with all sorts of mental and/or physical disorders.

The ones remaining in town (again, my opinion) are easily spotted due to their unusual movements, "retarded" looks and mannerisms.

It is a blue collar town. There are really three "Brandons"-the so-called normal, mid-upper clas people, Joe 6 pack who's off all day trying to make a living for his family, and the 3rd-the porch monkeys who watch the rest of us work while sipping on their pepsi's and smoking their cigarettes and watching tv.

This is a much more fair assessment. I will be trying to find out why so many are on the govt. "gimmee" list when time permits.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:55 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,104 times
You signed up today to put this <see above> post up ??

On a more realistic note :
Sully's and folk music above the Bookstore !!
Good stuff.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,446 times
Cool remembering Brandon VT

I saw some online pictures of the damages done in Brandon Vt. by Hurricane Irene. Seeing the pictures brought back memories and some sadness to see such damage.

I grew up in Brandon - my father was the local baker there for many years. My sisters and I were sometimes referred to as the bakers daughters - mine was the last class to graduate from Brandon High School in 1961. After that they went to Otter Valley Union HS.

Does anyone remember those days?

The park and the bandstand, the old movie theater, Shapiros dept. store - where I could actually pick up something for my mother, take it home for her to try on and then go back to return it or buy it - Browns Pharmacy - Wimetts Bakery - Desi's store - the ice cream parlor where the ladies made their own ice cream ( what was their name?) Sid Rosen 5 & 10 store?

Old 09-07-2011, 09:05 AM

914 posts, read 2,917,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniewimett View Post
I saw some online pictures of the damages done in Brandon Vt. by Hurricane Irene. Seeing the pictures brought back memories and some sadness to see such damage.

I grew up in Brandon - my father was the local baker there for many years. My sisters and I were sometimes referred to as the bakers daughters - mine was the last class to graduate from Brandon High School in 1961. After that they went to Otter Valley Union HS.

Does anyone remember those days?

The park and the bandstand, the old movie theater, Shapiros dept. store - where I could actually pick up something for my mother, take it home for her to try on and then go back to return it or buy it - Browns Pharmacy - Wimetts Bakery - Desi's store - the ice cream parlor where the ladies made their own ice cream ( what was their name?) Sid Rosen 5 & 10 store?
What a lovely, heartfelt post. It made my day! I hope you will get some responses from posters that remember Brandon as you do.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:10 PM

10 posts, read 53,942 times
Brandon and the surrounding area did sustain a great deal of damage due to Irene. But the town is alive and recovering.

I have lived in Vermont for over 40 years, and each area, each town, has its own appeal. While Brandon may have a large "welfare" population, as mentioned earlier, it is also one of the most diverse small towns around.

I live in Vergennes and commute to Brandon to work at the high school. If you are moving to Vermont, and have school aged kids, give Brandon a shot. No, it's not the wealthiest school system, nor the fanciest, but I find the people who make the system tick, the teachers and administrators, are among the most dedicated and caring people I have ever worked with. You feel it the minute you walk in the door. I took a 20% pay cut, leaving a job I hated, to work in a place where people care about each other.

So don't let one person's perceptions scare you away. Come see for yourself.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:29 PM

22 posts, read 22,597 times
I've always thought that if or when I move from Williston, I'd like o move to Brandon.. It's such a beautiful town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont