Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 15,392 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in the remodeled buildings that once was the Brandon training school, I have lived here for a few years and have had many ghostly experiences. Objects being misplaced or moved, flickering lights, the feeling of being touched on the arm and leg while sleeping. I know that there were alot of bad things happening here when it used to be the Brandon training school, I was curious to know more information about what had happened here, if there were alot of deaths...If anyone can give me anyinformation I would be greatly appreciated.. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 05:52 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Don't let your imagination run wild. I've known a few people who were at Brandon earlier in their lives. In some ways, I think they were better adjusted to life than many "normal" people.

I would have expected to experience the type of thing you describe when I worked at VSH. There were times I had to use the tunnels and basement areas to move patients and materials (including bodies) from one building to another. There were still traces of some of the less appetizing restraint locations, but no ghosts or spirits that I ever saw - maybe some asbestos and leaking steam pipes, but that was about as scarey as it got. If any of the spirits hung around, they probably are now governmental workers... I guess that could explain a lot...

Seriously, none of the people I knew who had been at Brandon made any mention of extraordinary events. It was a much milder environment than VSH, which was much milder than other institutions out-of-state. If I were you, I'd be honored to have someone from Brandon who was now in the spirit world playing around. There is a decent book on VSH and the whole hospital system in Vermont. You can sometimes find a copy on eBay or one of the online book sites.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 15,392 times
you keep refering to vsh. what is vsh? the only vsh I know of would be vermont state housing. I was refering to brandon training school. Looking to find out more about building residents who used to be in this building. I'm not afraid just curious. My daughter and grandchildren have lived here for several years and the children have been spooked a few times. Any info is helpfull.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:29 AM

75 posts, read 381,802 times
I came across a sort of research report that discusses the decision to close Brandon Training Center: http://thechp.syr.edu/brandon.htm . I just skimmed part of this report, but it might contain information that would interest you.

I found another website that mentions the fact that Brandon was called Vermont State School for the Feebleminded until 1929, when it was renamed Brandon Training Center. It says that VSH stands for Vermont State Hospital for the Insane: http://www.uvm.edu/~eugenics/glossary.html .

Old 11-30-2007, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 7,572 times
Default Grew Up At Brandon Training School

Hi,
My dad worked at BTS for 35 years...retired in 1972 after 17 years as the Superintendent. Our family lived right there and I and my 6 siblings loved it! We had the run of the place (pool, gym, great biking, farm) and as dad was the head honcho it was kinda cool. I wonder which "dorm" you are in? Where are you located? I might be able to get more info as diff dorms had different types of patients in them. You are talking about where I grew up...so I would love to discuss.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:58 AM

121 posts, read 563,076 times
We just drove through Brandon. Beautiful setting. Looks like with a few more home renovations on the main street that it is on the cusp of being a really beautiful town. Think there is a bright future ahead.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:41 AM

1 posts, read 6,508 times
I have tons of pictures from the old days back in the 70's including one of Raymond Mulcahy in his car. Also if u didn't know, probably u did, the superintendent's house was a group home during the 70's and I have several pictures from then. So post and yee shall recieve. I also share that alot of people's lives passed while in BTS, but as I shared in 5 years of it, I defend as much of their diginity as possible. Hope you have a nice time in those dorms as large as I recall that they were!!

Old 02-19-2010, 06:06 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
VSH is the Vermont State Hospital in Waterbury. At its height it had a census of over 1800 patients, and the current license is for 54 beds. The census in the las several months has generally been very close to full capacity.

The Vermont State Housing Authority, or VSHA, is the largest public housing authority in the state.

My office is on the grounds of the State Hospital, where I represent the patients there in civil commitment cases, so I spend a lot of time on the wards and in the tunnels. I have never observed anything even remotely seeming to be supernatural.

I suggest that the supernatural events apparently observed by the OP are either figments of her imagination or imaginative interpretations of unremarkable events. (For instance, who among us has never gone to retrieve an object where we thought we had left it and found that it wasn't there? The explanation that the object was moved by some spirit or supernatural being is only slightly less likely than that an invisible alien from outer space moved it to test our reactions.)

Old 02-19-2010, 06:54 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,233,802 times
This brings back lots of memories.
Worked there for several years,
had to quit due to too much lifting/medical problems,
and they closed down a couple years later.
It was a great experience.
Lots of history there, would love to see some pics.

As far as supernatural type experiences, I think anything is possible.
I keep an open mind.
It doesn't mean everytime the wind blows I say hey it was a ghost...but I have had some neat stuff happen in my life, and unless something has happened to someone else they often dismiss other peoples encounters until it happens to them.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:38 AM

1 posts, read 5,513 times
I'd like to find census records or any records on line of patients at Brandan Training School in the late 1800's (1887) to mid 1950s. I am searching for 3 lost people Charles Batease, Henry and William Batease (Battist, Battice, Battis).

Last edited by vter; 02-25-2011 at 05:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: