Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 6,912 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate to VT. ( I am originally from there!) My husband is a Physical Education teacher and has been teaching in (more or less) inner city schools for the past 7 years. He obtained his Vermont teaching certificate and is certifed to teach PE there. However, we haven't had any luck finding jobs. How difficult is it to obtain a teaching job in VT for certified teachers? I am a Registered Nurse and can likely find a job in whatever town we move to. Thanks so much in advance for your replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 06:12 PM

894 posts, read 1,557,467 times
I've heard Math and Science teachers are somewhat in demand not so much for others. Despite our spending on education, teacher salaries aren't that great in VT. Same for nursing salaries, DHMC(one of VT's largest employers-located in NH) claims parity with Metro Boston/NY it ain't so. But if you are OK with the $alary situation come on up it's very pretty.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:18 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Are you VT certified or able to be?
I thought reciprocity would be easy but it's not (for me) since I have not taught in years. Maybe it will be easier for you.
I hardly ever see teaching jobs in the paper, except for subs.
The market is smaller here than in other states.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:56 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
Don't mean to bust anyones bubble, but we right now have a very high ratio of teachers to pupils and every year there are fewer students in the system. Considering how the economy is going eventually we will have to pare back the staffing levels and current teachers know this and those with seniority are going to hang on even longer than they planned to. Of course, there might be slots for teachers who actually teach mathematics and sciences as we are ever so top heavy with liberal arts and humanities and I suspect that those will the ones who will face an uncertain future. Bottom line, the student population has been dropping each and every year for the last decade and we have been adding teachers and staff in all those years, hence we are saturated and to be quite honest the ability to afford this is almost at the point where it just cannot go on. Prospective teachers, contact districts where you have an interest and see if the the administrators will give the straight dope.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:16 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Employment Opportunities

You might check this site

Old 12-29-2008, 09:33 PM

11 posts, read 31,592 times
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am in a similar situation and was wondering about teaching jobs as well. I'll be finishing my licensure in art education, so I'll be coming in as an entry level teacher, which I know is going to make it next to impossible to find a job in a public school. What is the sub situation like in VT? I know here in VA, even in some of the more rural areas you can pretty much count on work at least 4 days a week, at $100+ for certified teachers. Is it similar in VT? Subbing isn't the ideal situation, but its at least a way to get my foot in the door and some money in my pocket. VTnurse, try Find teaching jobs, school jobs, education jobs at SchoolSpring.com! . It seems that most of the school systems in VT advertise their open positions there.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:34 PM

11 posts, read 31,592 times
Sorry, looks like that was the same link Ellwood posted. Oh well, good link anyways.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:50 PM

894 posts, read 1,557,467 times
I believe the going rate for subs in VT is 75 bucks a day. Only need a HS diploma. I have heard some places have difficulty finding subs(or subs they like-not sure which). I would guess VT is loaded with art teachers but don't know for certain. For the teachers why not work over the border in NY? NY pays better and you could still live in VT in a bunch of places or be a short drive/ferry ride away and have cheaper housing. I suspect MA pays their teachers more as well. I know a teacher that started her career 30 years ago on LI after a couple of years moved to VT she will retire next year. A friend of hers who started teaching on LI at the same time retired 5 years ago with a pension that is higher than her VT teachers salary. The money will matter, if not today then perhaps tomorrow or the day after...

Old 12-30-2008, 06:23 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
I think the pay is $70-$75 a day and I am not sure how steady you work.
I thought about doing it but I think I have to pay to get fingerprinted & for other admin stuff (which includes digging up OLD teaching info). I have a Masters and don't mind starting out 'at the bottom' but there is no way I can get certified in VT unless I pay for more testing and classes because there is no reciprocity w/my degree being so old.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:27 PM

166 posts, read 441,423 times
Can't come up with the direct link but I posted in another thread awhile back that VT was in the top 10 of the lowest starting teacher salaries in the U.S. When compared to other states in the Northeast Vermont's average teacher salary is poor. If i remeber correctly VT was ranked in the high 20's compared to CT, MA, NY, RI which all had some of the the highest teacher salaries in the U.S. I also had a friend who was a RN here and moved back to CT because she was offered practically double in wages and compensation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont