Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:28 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbt View Post
We are thinking about moving to Vermont from the suburbs of NYC. We have 2 school aged kids and are a bit nervous about making such a drastic change at their age. We are pretty settled on the Mad River Valley area but need to think about our careers. My husband is an attorney and would need to continue practicing. Anyone have any advice about towns and schools? The warren and Harwood Union school districts look excellent. I am also intrigued by the idea of living in Burlington but know nothing of the suburbs that surround the city. Please offer any advice that you can. We love Vermont so much and spend as much time up there as possible.
...your first destination, as it would provide the most employment opportunities, and would make for an easier social adjustment. The best school districts are probably South Burlington and Essex Junction (home of the troubled IBM plant).But I'm getting ahead of the game--employment is the real issue, and Vermont may not have what you need. It's just not as stable a place as it was in the '60's and 70's, when I grew up in Burlington. IBM is floundering, Digital is gone, and GE left in the '90's after about 75 years in business. Burlington CAN be a fantastic place for a family, but the "stable income" part is the biggest question..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 11:54 AM

8 posts, read 30,160 times
Yes, if I could figure out how to quote on this forum, I would second the comment about "great post" on Chester by OhBeeHave. I forwarded it to my son and his comment was "Jeez. About the most helpful and articulate post I've ever seen on the Internet." Is this the standard level of discourse up in Vermont or was I just lucky?
I think Brattleboro would be a better place in terms of employment options, being a single person (contentedly so, but it can be uncomfortable sometimes to be surrounded by couples)...the trouble is I'm smitten with pictures of a house in Chester!

Old 01-12-2009, 12:13 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,498,478 times
Yes, the Vermont forum is at a pretty high level. There is always the occasional problematic post, but, in general, I have found the Vermont forum posts to be decent, intelligent, articulate and thoughtful.

I relied on the forum a lot when I was researching my move to Vermont.

BTW, I am currently considering buying a house. I usually get interested in properties on the basis of internet pictures, but I have found that when I am actually shown the house, I am disappointed. Listing realtors do not usually mention or describe a house's negative qualities!

For example, I was very interested in a local house. When I saw the house, I learned there were steep drop-offs on the property, there were undergound oil tanks, and the inside had a layout that I really disliked. Also, when I looked at the house again - I liked how the house looked from the outside, and the thought of it stayed with me - I saw that the houses across the street were up higher. That felt odd and uncomfortable when I looked out the front window.

Only once or twice did the reality of a house live up to, or exceed, its internet pictures. And then there are issues of neighborhood and location.

Of course, if you have more than internet pictures, then you may be in a better position to judge, but not that much better.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:27 PM

8 posts, read 30,160 times
Arel,
Yeah, you'd think more realtors would try reverse psychology on clients. If a realtor were to say, "You don't want to buy this house, it has so many things wrong with it... " the poor house gets to seem like a pound puppy that needs to be adopted and loved.
I'll be sure to see it before making an offer.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:14 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,786,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero View Post
Yes, if I could figure out how to quote on this forum, I would second the comment about "great post" on Chester by OhBeeHave. I forwarded it to my son and his comment was "Jeez. About the most helpful and articulate post I've ever seen on the Internet." Is this the standard level of discourse up in Vermont or was I just lucky?
I think Brattleboro would be a better place in terms of employment options, being a single person (contentedly so, but it can be uncomfortable sometimes to be surrounded by couples)...the trouble is I'm smitten with pictures of a house in Chester!
It's the standard level of discourse up in Vermont...

Old 01-13-2009, 12:25 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
For example, I was very interested in a local house. When I saw the house, I learned there were steep drop-offs on the property, there were undergound oil tanks, and the inside had a layout that I really disliked. Also, when I looked at the house again - I liked how the house looked from the outside, and the thought of it stayed with me - I saw that the houses across the street were up higher. That felt odd and uncomfortable when I looked out the front window.
Watch those underground tanks...they are a big hazard here in VT/NH. At the last place I worked, there was a major issue of leakage they are probably STILL dealing with...

Old 01-13-2009, 08:19 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
Thanks, OhBeeHave. The beauty of the place seems unquestionable. I think I'll have to read up more about this issue of taxing retirees that I've seen referenced in other threads, since I'm about 15 years from Social Security age. Also, I can't help but wonder a little whether I'd be trading the Bible Belt with its unhealthy level of churchgoing, etc. for an equally dominating culture of winter sports. Could a person who doesn't ski have any hopes of fitting in? Finally, do you have any thoughts about whether commuting to the Brattleboro area is a possibility?
Do not fret over a 'dominating culture of winter sports' in Chester. They are there IF you choose to. No one is going to judge you by whether you snowboard or channel surf during your down time. BTW -- I do not ski and people in VT don't care. Back in NY, people are more apt to ask if I ski when I tell them I have a home in VT. To many flatlanders, VT = Skiing & maple syrup; VT = vacation time.

You could make the trip back and forth to Brattleboro, but depending on where in Brat, it could be a haul. You should also take into account the fact that you might have to do some commuting on really nasty days during snow storms. You know what your comfort level is to make that call. It's about a 35+ min ride from the Chester green to I-91 exit 3 minding the speed limit on a decent day. (It all depends on whether you get caught behind any slowpokes on Rte 103.)

Which reminds me: the Chester Police are a real good bunch of guys, but NEVER speed in town. They WILL ticket you.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:30 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
Thank you for the compliment.

Can you share the photos of the house? I already own, so your house is safe with me

If there's an address, I might be able to give you a better idea of what that part of Chester is like. Chester is 50 sq miles, so it covers a lot of ground. Feel free to ask. I'm happy to help if possible.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:54 PM

52 posts, read 223,213 times
Ranchero,

I grew up in the Bible belt - a small town in Western NC. Frankly, I couldn't wait to get out of there because of the close-minded mentality.

When I got my dream job in a tiny town in Vermont, I was very nervous about living in a small town again. I have to say, all my worry was for nothing. I've met wonderful, educated and open minded people here who are warm and not judgmental. The winter sports influence is not at all like the religious influence in the south. I don't ski at all and no one has ever given me a hard time about it.

I live between Chester and Ludlow. Both are great towns and it is breathtakingly beautiful. There is a great theatre in local village Weston as well, with a lot of ties to famous local residents like Tim Daly and The Lloyd family (Christopher-aka Doc Brown-, his brother Sam and nephew Sam Jr., who plays Ted on Scrubs.) Jennifer Connelly and her husband Paul Bettany also have a home in Weston. The Playhouse hires folks for the summer season and also has many volunteers- it's a great way to get involved locally.

My emotional adjustment to this area was almost nonexistent, though I still have a lot to learn about living in this kind of weather. I'm not used to driving in this, and eventually broke down and bought a Subaru. Some folks swear that you'll be fine with good snow tires on a front wheel drive, but I just feel safer in my outback. (Plus, my Camry would never make it up my steep driveway.) People here are great and very helpful. To me, it's all the benefits of a small town without the judgment I was used to in the south. You do have to plan ahead- stores close early and the modern conveniences are not available. You have to drive further distances for shopping and entertainment - one thing I miss is a nearby movie theatre! Travel will take longer if your family is a flight away since there isn't really a close airport. But if you like being at home, cozying up by the fire with a good book or your favorite movie, then walking outside to fresh air and beautiful scenery, this is the place for you.

Hope that helps!
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 01-14-2009, 02:06 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,786,378 times
Nice post, cbags!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbags View Post
Ranchero,

I grew up in the Bible belt - a small town in Western NC. Frankly, I couldn't wait to get out of there because of the close-minded mentality.

When I got my dream job in a tiny town in Vermont, I was very nervous about living in a small town again. I have to say, all my worry was for nothing. I've met wonderful, educated and open minded people here who are warm and not judgmental. The winter sports influence is not at all like the religious influence in the south. I don't ski at all and no one has ever given me a hard time about it.

I live between Chester and Ludlow. Both are great towns and it is breathtakingly beautiful. There is a great theatre in local village Weston as well, with a lot of ties to famous local residents like Tim Daly and The Lloyd family (Christopher-aka Doc Brown-, his brother Sam and nephew Sam Jr., who plays Ted on Scrubs.) Jennifer Connelly and her husband Paul Bettany also have a home in Weston. The Playhouse hires folks for the summer season and also has many volunteers- it's a great way to get involved locally.

My emotional adjustment to this area was almost nonexistent, though I still have a lot to learn about living in this kind of weather. I'm not used to driving in this, and eventually broke down and bought a Subaru. Some folks swear that you'll be fine with good snow tires on a front wheel drive, but I just feel safer in my outback. (Plus, my Camry would never make it up my steep driveway.) People here are great and very helpful. To me, it's all the benefits of a small town without the judgment I was used to in the south. You do have to plan ahead- stores close early and the modern conveniences are not available. You have to drive further distances for shopping and entertainment - one thing I miss is a nearby movie theatre! Travel will take longer if your family is a flight away since there isn't really a close airport. But if you like being at home, cozying up by the fire with a good book or your favorite movie, then walking outside to fresh air and beautiful scenery, this is the place for you.

Hope that helps!
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont