Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:50 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times

Advertisements

I read a post on this forum about someone who couldn't get work as a teacher so she worked as a social worker. I would imagine, though, that she worked as a case worker. Social workers need to have social work degrees and licenses. Maybe she went back to school and got the social work degree degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,468 times
I live in Vermont, and i have my entire life. I know alot about how everybody here. or "Vermonters" feel about "flat landers" moving in. And from what they've always said is we're all people, and we're all different, but what gets them [which i understand well] is that when a "flat lander" moves in and tries to change the town laws. Or when they come and complain about the road maintence in the spring. It's vermont, if you dont want muddy roads, live on a paved one. or Dont live anywhere that has mud season.
But we dont 'hate' every "flat lander" that visits, or lives here. Only the one's that try to control everything, and attempt to turn Vermont into another City.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:54 PM

25 posts, read 74,727 times
Hi Arel,

My name is Jess and I've lived in Vermontmy whole life. The wage is a very small price to pay for sanity and tranquility. Granted it's not for everyone. Our prices for things are pretty competitive and you don't have to pay a lot to park. Insurance is cheaper and you never sit in traffic very long. The City is no place for me but if you have a positive attitude you will recieve it in return. As far as "outsiders" moving into the state, I think that applies to rich city folk who have 5 homes purchasing the best property around to come once a year. I have a friend who just graduated from technical college and is making over 20 an hour as a engineer. My husband works for himself as a excavator/contractor and we make a decent wage. If you are driven you will do well where ever you are but life is shortand Vermont is a BEAUTIFUL place!!!!

Good luck with your decsion,
Jess and family

Old 07-05-2007, 09:32 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
I cant wait to move somewhere where you dont get filthy looks from snotty people. Last night when we were out watching the fireworks, I sat back and really watched people in my town. There are so many nasty people. Everyone "checks" everyone else out...what kind of baby stroller do you have, or, oh look she has this kind of phone, or purse, etc. And then there are those ..oh dont get too close to me. Geez. We were all gathered in the middle of town, and yeah people are going to get close to each other. And the kids with their dirty mouths. Do they know any other word besides the F word??? What the heck is wrong with kids?? Ok enough rant for now...cuz trust me I could go on and on, lol. All I know is that I cant wait till Oct comes, so I can find a home in Vermont and leave this rude, smoggy, muggy, hot, over crowed, over priced place!!!

Old 07-06-2007, 12:26 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessnhow View Post
Hi Arel,

My name is Jess and I've lived in Vermontmy whole life. The wage is a very small price to pay for sanity and tranquility. Granted it's not for everyone. Our prices for things are pretty competitive and you don't have to pay a lot to park. Insurance is cheaper and you never sit in traffic very long. The City is no place for me but if you have a positive attitude you will recieve it in return. As far as "outsiders" moving into the state, I think that applies to rich city folk who have 5 homes purchasing the best property around to come once a year. I have a friend who just graduated from technical college and is making over 20 an hour as a engineer. My husband works for himself as a excavator/contractor and we make a decent wage. If you are driven you will do well where ever you are but life is shortand Vermont is a BEAUTIFUL place!!!!

Good luck with your decsion,
Jess and family

Thank you, Jess.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:48 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
Sad to say it is not Stowe, but then again it seems it would be hard to find a real Vermonter in Stowe. I just got off the Long Trail on a hiking trip with another party who had an eye problem and we needed to use a phone to call for a ride as our trip was cut short from our original destination and pickup date. We do not carry cell phones on the trail and ended up walking eight miles from the trail crossing at the notch to almost Rte 100. All attempts to stop and use a phone at businesses failed since virtually all pay phones are gone. The first two we did have access to were out of order. Five businesses would not let us use their phone because calls outside of Stowe were long distance, even after we offered to pay for the call. I have to say this is the first time I have encountered this in Vermont, especially not even being able to hitch a ride. Usually towns near the trail have been easy to get rides in. When we finally found a store with a working phone and spoke with the clerk she confirmed the new attitude of Stowe by telling us that one day an elderly driver had a flat out in the lot and when she went out to assist in changing the tire the manager informed her that this is not what she is being paid for.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:22 AM

155 posts, read 613,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
I cant wait to move somewhere where you dont get filthy looks from snotty people. Last night when we were out watching the fireworks, I sat back and really watched people in my town. There are so many nasty people. Everyone "checks" everyone else out...what kind of baby stroller do you have, or, oh look she has this kind of phone, or purse, etc. And then there are those ..oh dont get too close to me. Geez. We were all gathered in the middle of town, and yeah people are going to get close to each other. And the kids with their dirty mouths. Do they know any other word besides the F word??? What the heck is wrong with kids?? Ok enough rant for now...cuz trust me I could go on and on, lol. All I know is that I cant wait till Oct comes, so I can find a home in Vermont and leave this rude, smoggy, muggy, hot, over crowed, over priced place!!!
Oh I agree with you on this one. Though we are coming from the Baltimore, MD area. I have to say on our first trip to Vermont a few weeks ago we had a lot of amazing things happen that would never happen here that made us even more sure about moving.

1) When we checked out all the playground and parks with our two girls other parents and grandparents actually played with our girls. The first time it happened I was shocked and really worried about it. (is the person going to try and take my kid) But then as myself and my husband kept watching we saw that everyone is playing with everyone else and all the kids. It was wonderful to see people be so kind. Just seeing someone care enough to help a child on the monkey bars that needs it if their parent is watching/helping a younger sibling was great. The other parents I could tell had no fear. As I tested this by then going around and helping/talking to some of the other kids. No one even blinked or even noticed really. It will take a long time to outgrow my ever watchful parenting style but I can't wait to do it. As no one in their right mind here would ever touch someone elses child that they did not know with pretty good reason. (kidnapping by sexual abusers, high murder rate, even other older kids here hurt each other, everyone is always on edge)

2) When we went to Church St. we played with and dog sat someones large dog while they went in Ben & Jerry's to order an ice cream cake. Lots of people there have dogs and everyone takes them everywhere. My girls both love animals so they kept wanting to pet dog that went by. So when we first saw this woman with a large lab and she stopped to let the girls pet it I did not think anything of it. Then she says "Would you guys mind letting your kids play with her(the dog) while I go in here and order a cake for my son." We said sure and sat there a table outside the shop and played with her dog for about 10 min. Then when she came out I saw her holding two little cups. She said "thanks" and handed the two kiddie cups of ice cream to my girls. Then asked her dog if she had fun and walked away. This too would never happen where I live. We live in what is known to be a good area and it still would never happen.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:11 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,464 times
Stowe has changed SO much from when I was a kid it's pathetic...it's a real shame, as there are really genuine people there (those who are native and live year round) and they have to deal with all the out of towners with attitudes...we bought a condo there as an investment a few years back, but I absolutely hate going up there during any of the 'rush' times - we avoid all holidays if possible. I'd rather go up during mud season and enjoy the peace and quiet!

When we do move, I'd like to be nearby so I can take advantage of the amenities, but far enough away so I don't have to deal with all the rest of the nonsense.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:52 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diauglau View Post
I live in Vermont, and i have my entire life. I know alot about how everybody here. or "Vermonters" feel about "flat landers" moving in. And from what they've always said is we're all people, and we're all different, but what gets them [which i understand well] is that when a "flat lander" moves in and tries to change the town laws. Or when they come and complain about the road maintence in the spring. It's vermont, if you dont want muddy roads, live on a paved one. or Dont live anywhere that has mud season.
But we dont 'hate' every "flat lander" that visits, or lives here. Only the one's that try to control everything, and attempt to turn Vermont into another City.
Very well put! I think a good example of this showed up in Richmond, Vt last year. The railroad has run through town since the 1800s. Apparently some new residents do not like the fact that the trains have to give horn blasts at the crossing. Also, on a late night run a freight would stop and the motorman/engineer would go up the block to the 24 hour market. Well, someone took offense to this complaining about the idling locomotive at night. I cannot imagine these types of complaints since nobody forced you to buy or rent next to the railroad.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:20 AM

43 posts, read 177,539 times
We have the same complainers here in SE PA. I've lived in my area my whole life. It used to be loaded with beautiful farms, which are now replaced with McMansions galore. The cityfolk (as I named them) move to the 'country' and complain about the highway noise, uhm you bought a house right next to I95 (an extrememly busy section of it) and you complain that the noise ruins the quality of your life? (And the majority of these people did come from NYC area!!

Or they move to a townhouse that is literally right next to the train tracks and also complain that they want the whistles stopped, because 'it's so loud it keeps them awake.' So the saftey of other people is less important?

Or they move under the flight path of a neighboring small airport right across the river in NJ and start a coalition to change the flight patterns (so they bother other people instead) and to ban any more jets. This airport is so convenient, only 10 minutes away, free parking and if your flight is delayed you just go home and wait instead of sittting in an airport for a gazillion hours!

Or the move right on the Delaware River, which recently flooded very badly three times in 22 months, and want the government to do something about it??? Huh??

People like this are unfortunately everywhere. It enrages me when I read about all the above complaints which are all the time. We literally live under the flight path and honestly I think it's cool to see the plans so close, we hear the trains at night and I love the deep, low whistle and rumble of the frieght trains, that transport all the goods these McMansionites feel the need to possess in obsence quantities. And the River, we almost bought a house on it, and are simply grateful we didn't, had we we would have dealt with it and realize it's the price to pay for living with a lovely view. We hear the whizzing of cars/trucks on 95 (it's 1.5 miles from my house) and while it's not my favorite thing to hear (the wind makes a difference) it's the price I pay for having the convenience of living so close to a major road.

We hope to move to the Burlington area in 3 years and promise we will NOT be a 'flatlander' who moves in and complains about everything. From everything I've read, and how we love VT, we'll fit in just fine.

Oh another thing people complain about is the manure the few farmers spread every Spring, they want that stopped too!!!

These people should be shot....haha just kidding, but sometimes I feel that way!!

There are people that simply are complainers, no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont