Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 10:24 PM

52 posts, read 164,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
IOne person commented on the very high cancer rate in New Hampshire. She said Vermont is a better place to live. I wonder if the high cancer rate in New Hampshire is related to all that unregulated industry. If so, maybe they should change their state slogan from "Live Free or Die" to "Live Free and Die".
CDC Statistics (circa 2004)
Average age adjusted cancer death rates (per 100,000)
VT: 200.8
NH: 205.2
National: 199.8

These differences are essentially negligible, in fact I'd be interested to see the 95% confidence intervals. Quality of health care is a confounder here, as better access to screening will significantly reduce the rates. This makes using simple stats to determine average carcinogen exposure rates difficult, but still, best data that's around. And as an aside, stay the heck away from WV (223.3 cancer deaths/100,000).

Cancer - Cancer Data - New Hampshire (broken link)
Cancer - Cancer Data - Vermont (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 08:57 PM

46 posts, read 220,548 times
A lot of those statistics are sckewed by the fact that VT is an older state, meaning that there are a lot of elderly. Many people end up with some form of cancer or another the longer they live. So, lots of old people= higher odds of people with cancer. I'm not a professional, and I know this is totally over-simplified! I happened to read some information on the fact that VT is an older state because of the fact that many of the younger folks are leaving the state for job opportunities. I learned years ago that many older people have some cancerous cells in their body that never effect them and go undiscovered. It's my own personal (possibly ignorant!) theory, so please, I hope no one gets annoyed with me! Those are just things that I think about when I read statistics like those, and I try to look at things from all different angles and perspectives. I would be interested to find out how much truth there is the "average age" fact I was told!

Old 11-16-2007, 09:02 PM

I followed a link on ask.com which suggested that, as of 2000, the avg. age was 50 (not old, by the way!).

Old 11-16-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiner View Post
A lot of those statistics are sckewed by the fact that VT is an older state, meaning that there are a lot of elderly.
The CDC statistics are age adjusted, meaning they have taken into account for variation in cancer death rate as a result of age. The posted statistics represent what the cancer death rates would be if every state had the same population age distribution.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I followed a link on ask.com which suggested that, as of 2000, the avg. age was 50 (not old, by the way!).
I didn't intend to start a discussion of population statistics, but . . .

The median age in Vermont is 37.7 (as of the 2000 census)
http://censtats.census.gov/data/VT/04050.pdf

The median age in the US is 35.3.
http://censtats.census.gov/data/US/01000.pdf

So yes, Vermont is a somewhat "older" state.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the info, and for clarifying that the info was age adjusted! Also, thanks everyone for not thinking I'm an idiot! I read what I wrote after I posted it and thought "What a yahoo! What are you talking about!".

Old 11-17-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
I read what I wrote after I posted it and thought "What a yahoo! What are you talking about!".
Not a yahoo at all, it's always good to question whether a given statistic is valid or not. You're right, if age were not taken into account then it wouldn't have been a useful comparison.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:16 PM

Thanks, Aerobars! I just googled remote car starter installation, and it put me in another forum in city-data, where there seemed to be some nasty, belligerent personalities. It made me grateful for the folks on the VT site!

Old 11-20-2007, 06:40 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,498,478 times
Quote:
Thanks, Aerobars! I just googled remote car starter installation, and it put me in another forum in city-data, where there seemed to be some nasty, belligerent personalities. It made me grateful for the folks on the VT site!
I sometimes go on the NYC forum. It's often a lot more hard edged than the Vermont forum. The Vermont forum folks are a really nice group.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:00 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
I sometimes go on the NYC forum. It's often a lot more hard edged than the Vermont forum. The Vermont forum folks are a really nice group.
Living here definately has a calming effect and most people up here though not initially appearing to be exceedingly friendly or outgoing will do whatever they can to help each other out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont