Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 07:43 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,433,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-springfielder View Post
So any view that doesn't agree with your's is tiring? I'd still like to have people who talk about how great vermont is tell us what their vocation is. Any place can be good to live if you can make a good living, any place can be hell if you can't find a good steady source of income. Vermont has a fast fading private industry but a heavy public sector, the student to teacher ratio is one of the lowest in the nation, the number of state employees per capita is double that of neighboring NH. It also has an aging population which says a lot too so if you're in the medical industry you could do well too. But most people who dream of moving to vermont have read Vermont Life and seen the pictures of Woodstock and Stow and dairy farms, although the number of farms in vermont is a small fraction of what it was forty years ago and think that's what all of Vermont is like. If you like lots of hills with few people, a low crime rate and a state that's 96% white, radically liberal politically and expensive, and you can find employement that's steady and pays enough then you'll love vermont.
No, I don't have any problem with someone having an opinion that differs from mine. But, for example, this thread was nearly two years old when someone brought it back from the dead with the sole purpose of badmouthing Vermont. What's tiring are the constant whining, statement of opinion as fact, and the general bitterness. There is a clique on this forum who like to jump in on every thread with their claim that the unequivocal truth about Vermont is that it's a welfare hippie utopia, controlled by liberal extremists, and populated by out-of-state trust funders who, fortunately, don't need to work since there are "literally no jobs", and only those rich people can afford housing, etc, etc, etc. Oh yeah, apparently there are lots of rainbows and unicorns, too. It would almost be funny if it wasn't so ridiculous and over played.

I understand that there are a lot of Vermonters who are struggling right now. But, that is the case everywhere. I am from Vermont. I had a good job and, while I wasn't rich, I was making decent money ($30/hr). I moved out west when our company decided to expand (I said expand, not relocate out of Vermont) and they needed someone to run the western branch. My family is still in Vermont. My dad is a retired police chief and my mom is the finance manager of a dental practice. Not exactly 6-figure salaries. We never lacked anything as kids and my parents are very comfortable financially because they've made wise decisions regarding their money. My sister is a high school teacher and her husband is in law enforcement. They are also living very comfortably and happily in Vermont. I have lots of friends in Vermont and, while some have an easier time than others, all of them love living there and appreciate the quality of life. Sure, some of them could make more money elsewhere, probably lots more, but they don't want to be elsewhere. They're very happy making a life in Vermont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 08:04 PM

118 posts, read 285,351 times
Mommhn, your partly correct. The Vermonters I know love the way things used to be. The state used to be a perfect embodiment of rugged individualism. Today its full of decadence and perversions that deserve nothing more than ridicule. I agree it would be much easier for us to all go our separate ways but, unfortunate for the Nuevo-Vermonters, this isn't going to happen.

So, back to the intent of this thread, what should a single mom moving from Chicago expect to find in Vermont. Well, culturally its about the same. Expect to find a deeply seated culture of poverty with rampant drug use and a large population of disenfranchised, all lorded over by a radically liberal ruling class that abuse the power of State to effectively isolate themselves from the problems they create.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:23 PM

274 posts, read 674,650 times
Well, like anyone else you are entitles to your opinion, but that does not make it a fact.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:35 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,433,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang! View Post
So, back to the intent of this thread, what should a single mom moving from Chicago expect to find in Vermont. Well, culturally its about the same. Expect to find a deeply seated culture of poverty with rampant drug use and a large population of disenfranchised, all lorded over by a radically liberal ruling class that abuse the power of State to effectively isolate themselves from the problems they create.
The thread was started almost three years ago. I suppose it's possible that the OP has been on the fence this whole time, just waiting for your words of wisdom before she makes a decision, but I doubt it.

Last edited by vter; 03-04-2010 at 05:46 AM.. Reason: orphan

Old 03-04-2010, 07:28 AM

159 posts, read 405,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
My dad is a retired police chief and my mom is the finance manager of a dental practice. Not exactly 6-figure salaries. We never lacked anything as kids and my parents are very comfortable financially because they've made wise decisions regarding their money. My sister is a high school teacher and her husband is in law enforcement. They are also living very comfortably and happily in Vermont. I have lots of friends in Vermont and, while some have an easier time than others, all of them love living there and appreciate the quality of life. Sure, some of them could make more money elsewhere, probably lots more, but they don't want to be elsewhere. They're very happy making a life in Vermont.
It's good that your family is doing fine in vermont but if you read my statement and compared it to your's you would see what I was referring too. Your dad, your sister and her husband all have or had good paying, secure government jobs and your mother works in the medical field, exactly what I stated. Regrettably no economy can exist for long on government and service jobs alone and that is the direction Vermont has taken. If your family was fifth generation farmers, or your dad worked in the machine tool industry that once thrived in vermont I would expect your position to be considerably different.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:13 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,147,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-springfielder View Post
your's
dude

Old 03-04-2010, 08:30 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,095,075 times
Vermont is fine as long as you have a decent 2 family income. When I briefly had a job and my husband was working, we were actually saving for a house here.

The problem with states 'like Vermont' (it's not just Vermont) is that once you lose that job or get laid off you really cannot easily find one again.

Right now the recession is pretty much kicking the butt of many places--go to the Employment thread...people from CA, GA, NY and all over cannot find work.

Any place can be the right one if it works out for YOU. I don't doubt some people prosper in the ghetto (pimps/drug dealers?). I am sure some people are very happy here.

Let's realize there are no perfect places.

No one is a trust fund baby where I live. (in my last village, yes, but not here). People go to work at motels, the hospitals, the supermarket.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,530 times
In many ways Vermont does suck, but it is cool in others. Few jobs, very high COL, high taxes in many towns, especially Richmond where I live. Winter is brutal from November until May. Turns brown for a long time, then white for a while, then brown for a long time. About early June it starts getting quite nice for outdoor stuff. Also, we are one of the most cloudy states. VT weather is like an obnoxious teenager, really annoying, but rarely harmful. Vermonters like to complain about the weather while forgetting that weather in other parts of USA routinely kills people.
Many parts of the state are rural and nice if you have a good job and significant coin. I stay here because close family is here, once they are gone…I’m outta here. I manage, but I do see the challenges and why it does suck at times. I have noticed that our late summers and early falls have gotten quite nice, perhaps global warming/climate change is to blame/thank depending on your POV. For what it’s worth, perhaps nothing.
I do like the most people here are “live and let live” don’t shove their religion in your face.
-Respectfully,
Bomber

Old 09-04-2010, 12:43 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,832,735 times
"Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple
There are some wonderful opportunities in Vermont, both employment and home-wise.....

Believe this quote at your own peril because it is complete garbage unless you have career aspirations for Mickey D's and like living in a shed"....

I must admit I did have to chuckle a little bit with your response -- I don't think things are horrifically horrible ...... there are opportunities in VT - hospitals are needing employees - several of the colleges/universities are looking for employees too - DOC is looking for staff....just to toss out a few options.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont