Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 07:29 AM

89 posts, read 317,827 times

Advertisements

Dang all the fun people are leaving when I just got my job offer today. It looks quite good, so i will likely accept it and be heading for somewhere within a 30 or so mile radius of Johnson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 09:05 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,293,156 times
Congrats on your job!

Old 05-07-2007, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,036 times
Default Moving to Vermont from Chicago

I have lived in Vermont all my life and have lived in Morgan, Derby, Newport, St. Johnsbury, and Burlington, Vermont. The further north you go, the more rural it is and the fewer jobs there are. The further away from the cities you go, the friendlier the people and more native Vermonters you will find. Which is probably true in most cities. In Burlington, I have found that, in my experience, the people who are less friendly are out of staters who have moved to Vermont. The areas that I have found that are less friendly are Shelburne, Charlotte, Stowe, parts of South Burlington and parts of downtown Burlington, but basically - very truthfully, snobs can be found in every town. The towns that you would not really like to live in would be the Old North End in Burlington and Winooski. Milton used to be on that list, but I believe it has changed quite a bit over the last 5 years or so. Nice places to live are New North End of Burlington, South Burlington, Essex, Hinesburg, "new" Milton, Colchester, Williston (though this is where all the big box stores are located), further out Richmond, St. Albans, Georgia, VT. I have not lived and do not know about southern Vermont. Burlington is very expensive to live in and many jobs are found at Fletcher Allen Hospital, University of Vermont, University of Vermont - College of Medicine, St. Michael's College, Champlain College, area schools (elementary through high school), Vermont Student Assistance Corporation and many small businesses. There are not many IT related jobs here (as I am in IT) and they are hard to find. There is an IT network that helps people find out about job openings. Housing is going up all the time, but for well over $200,000 a home. You most definitely want to have a job here before moving. Apartments are hard to find as well. The best time to find an apartment would be at this time of the year (May), as college students are moving out and many apartments go up for rent. Here is a link to our city paper - The Burlington Free Press and you can take a look around for homes, apartments and jobs. http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a....dll/frontpage - Hope this was helpful

Old 05-07-2007, 07:06 PM

89 posts, read 317,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Congrats on your job!
Thanks after a couple of adjustments I accepted the offer

Old 05-07-2007, 08:24 PM

55 posts, read 195,381 times
Best wishes on your new position. Sounds like you are lucky to secure gainful employment in Vermont, based on the comments about the labor market that have been posted.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:56 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,794,830 times
pucabear -

Is your house under contract now? Are congratulations in order?

Old 05-08-2007, 02:27 PM

198 posts, read 803,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
pucabear -

Is your house under contract now? Are congratulations in order?
Yes, it is under contract. We have passed inspection, and are on to the appraisal Thursday, with closing set for May 31. Thanks for asking!

Old 05-08-2007, 03:25 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,794,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pucabear View Post
Yes, it is under contract. We have passed inspection, and are on to the appraisal Thursday, with closing set for May 31. Thanks for asking!
Congratulations!

Old 05-08-2007, 03:39 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,989,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pucabear View Post
Good luck Puca !

We get inspected on Thurs.
We have had good luck so far.
Only a sign out front of our house and we had lots of interest and
a sale in 10 days.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:01 PM

198 posts, read 803,554 times
Thank you! Your 10 days is even faster than my 14....it's all in the pricing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont