Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 01:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,926 times

Advertisements

rscott - care to comment further on St Johnsbury vs the other cities you've lived in? My wife and I are considering moving there from Portland, OR. We really do love Portland, but have recently felt the urge for something much quieter, smaller, and less stressful. Question is, is it too rural? We're planning a trip there soon to see it firsthand, but would appreciate feedback on the area. -thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 07:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,919 times
Welcome to Vermont!

I love this state!

I'm a single mom, too. I work from home to support my three teens--two are on their way to college in a year and the youngest is in 7th grade.

Chittenden & Addison counties are the most expensive to live in. Houses are cheaper up north, but if you want to work for a large corporation, your commute will be long, especially in the winter.

Working from home seems to be the best way, especially if you're looking to live on adequate wages.

I'd love to talk to you more--e-mail me at tinaspassion@yahoo.com. I can give you more guidance and, if you want, I can tell you about my home business.

Move here--it'll be a great place for your son to grow up and you'll never regret it!

Tina

Old 05-27-2007, 01:19 PM

5 posts, read 30,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedspaddy View Post
Believe this quote at your own peril because it is complete garbage unless you have career aspirations for Mickey D's and like living in a shed
I live in Vermont and i work at Middlebury College and as we speak Middlebury College is hiring so dont listen to leedspaddy

Old 05-27-2007, 01:23 PM

5 posts, read 30,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinabryan View Post
Welcome to Vermont!

I love this state!

I'm a single mom, too. I work from home to support my three teens--two are on their way to college in a year and the youngest is in 7th grade.

Chittenden & Addison counties are the most expensive to live in. Houses are cheaper up north, but if you want to work for a large corporation, your commute will be long, especially in the winter.

Working from home seems to be the best way, especially if you're looking to live on adequate wages.

I'd love to talk to you more--e-mail me at tinaspassion@yahoo.com. I can give you more guidance and, if you want, I can tell you about my home business.

Move here--it'll be a great place for your son to grow up and you'll never regret it!

Tina
I live in Addison County and i feel it is not that Expensive to live here, Now Burlington and those areas the rents are so high that a person would have to work at IBM to afford to live there

Old 01-29-2009, 04:30 PM

10 posts, read 52,533 times
Avoid Proctor. Close minded people, schools suck, expensive homes and high taxes.
Select board members and road crew do a shamefull job. Just a bunch of privileged native folks who take advantage of their position to fill their pockets and do nothing good for the community.
If you can afford to live in Vt then use your money to buy a home in another state. There are so many beautiful places in the US that looks like VT but offer a better environment and a better quality of life.
People are nuts here.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:12 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,139,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudflatlander View Post
Avoid Proctor. Close minded people, schools suck, expensive homes and high taxes.
I agree about the taxes and can't comment on the schools.

However, my experiences with folks who live in Proctor are all positive. I taught yoga at a big old community building downtown for a few months and the locals were incredibly nice and delightful to have as yoga students.

My husband and I volunteered to staff a Humane Society adoption booth at an outdoor festival in Proctor. Not only were people very friendly and generous with donations, but they adopted almost all the cats we brought who were in need of loving homes. One of those adopters still sends me updates on the two kittens she brought home that day.

At my request, a Proctor household just stepped up to host an event to help the nonprofit I work for.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:01 AM

10 posts, read 52,533 times
This is your personal experience and I am glad it is a positive one but it doesn't give an outlook that could be useful to the person that started this thread.
Honestly a single mom would have a hard time to break in a community that is so close-knit and where the majority of people have been living here in town for generations.
Frankly It could be hard for her to make friends and have a social life with other women in town who have been knowing each other since the elementary school. She might end by feeling very isolated which can be very depressing mostly during the long winter. This is Proctor, which by the way, has a reputation for being a very close knit community and for not welcoming new residents from out of state. Back to the original thread. For a single mom I would recommend a more diverse environment. Maybe a college town which attract many people from other states and from different paths of life where she can have the opportunity to blend in an going on with her life.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudflatlander View Post
This is your personal experience and I am glad it is a positive one but it doesn't give an outlook that could be useful to the person that started this thread.

Since I'm not psychic and cannot predict what will be useful to someone reading a post, I'm going to continue posting my perspective even if someone else thinks my input is not useful.

When you say,
"Avoid Proctor. Close minded people, schools suck, expensive homes and high taxes." to me, those are generalizations that also may not apply to what someone wants to know -- and actually, that is just your personal experience, too.

So I'll respect your attempts to offer info and I hope you'll respect mine and others, rather than criticizing them, and let people take what is useful to them and leave the rest.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:23 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,094,014 times
Making friends when you are an adult, married or single w/kids is very hard.

People here tend to be closed to new people but that happens all over. The way to get beyond that is join some activity(or activities) you believe in or volunteer and try not to focus on friends at your job or in your neighborhood.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Making friends when you are an adult, married or single w/kids is very hard.

I know two single moms who raised their children (now adults) in Proctor. I will ask them if they want to share anything about that online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont