Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 06:30 PM

85 posts, read 250,619 times

Advertisements

Coolhandluke,
Do lots of research and visit. After two plus years of "we are" "we aren't" moving to VT we are now a "maybe". Being in our thirty somethings, we are realizing that life is too short to sit back and wish the rest of our lives. It doesn't matter where you are as far as people are concerned. I can go to the local mart here in town and be snubbed after living here all my life. You can be happy where ever you are, its what you make of it. These folks who post here often are 100% sincere in their recommendations. The grass isn't always greener on the other side but sometimes the view is much more beautiful. Best of luck to you and your son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,991 times
I have lived in or around Fair Haven Vt my whole 36 yrs. Houses cost more than most jobs here can support and property taxes hit you pretty good too. There are very limited jobs in Rutland area. Burlington seems to have much more opportunity but I'm not sure of the cost of living there. I am trying to get my son through 2 more yrs of high school, and I'm going to western South Carolina. Had it with limited job options and costly fixer upper houses here in VT. Not sure how promising SC is but at least it won't cost me $3000 a year to heat my hut, and rent here is a killer now. $900 per month for a house is cheap, and a 3 bed apartment is scarce, and expensive when you find one. One here in Fair Haven now for $850 per month, apartment not house, and 3rd floor, no porch or lawn. Think about it a lot before coming here. I know a lady from Georgia that moved here, she hasn't had a full time job in 3 yrs and can't afford to go back now. Just make sure you know what you are getting into. Look at "jobsinvt.com' or monster.com, you'll see the jobs. It seems health care is the biggy here, not much else. Good luck.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:39 PM

159 posts, read 405,981 times
I was born, raised and lived 58 years of my life in Vermont, I moved two years ago and will never move back. If you like rural areas with few opportunities for career, shopping or entertainment then you might like Vermont. I only moved a few hours away so I go back to visit often and when I do the thing I notice the most is how dead Vermont seems, the streets are traffic free by 7:00 PM, and even on holiday weekends I-91 seems empty compared normal traffic on I-93 or 95 through NH and Maine. Burlington and it's surrounding area is the exception but even Burlington offers little in the way of work for someone without special skills and education. I'd advise you to listen to others and make certian you have solid employment befor moving to Vermont, there are many, many places just as beautiful as Vermont that offer more for less.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:35 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,142,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-springfielder View Post
the thing I notice the most is how dead Vermont seems, the streets are traffic free by 7:00 PM,
I don't know where you're going in Vermont but that doesn't describe Rutland. It's not Manhattan (thank goodness) but there's plenty going on in the evenings, even on weeknights.

Quote:
even on holiday weekends I-91 seems empty compared normal traffic on I-93 or 95 through NH and Maine.

For this I am eternally grateful. Traffic is one of the things I don't miss at all.

Quote:
I'd advise you to listen to others and make certian you have solid employment befor moving to Vermont
I agree with this.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
I don't know where you're going in Vermont but that doesn't describe Rutland. It's not Manhattan (thank goodness) but there's plenty going on in the evenings, even on weeknights.

For this I am eternally grateful. Traffic is one of the things I don't miss at all.

I agree with this.

Empty highways would be great until you consider Vermonts economy depends on tourism, it's the one industry that appears acceptable to vermonts legislature. And as for the night time activities in Rutvegas...

Old 02-26-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Empty highways would be great until you consider Vermonts economy depends on tourism, it's the one industry that appears acceptable to vermonts legislature.
I've never been on an empty Vermont highway, not even in a snowstorm at night. They're merely far less choked up than the expressways heading out of Boston, Nashua/Manchester, etc. Of course we need more tourists and I want to encourage that. I've just never seen it "empty" as you keep saying.

Quote:
And as for the night time activities in Rutvegas...
I'm not sure what you mean. Are you even speaking from experience? I think it's a meaningless generalization some people like to make about Rutland. Your veiled words about Rutland are inaccurate and convey nothing useful to information seekers.

My husband & I have evening plans in Rutland in the next two weeks including two plays, a Natalie McMaster concert, and a community fundraiser. There are dance performances, contra dances, lectures, gallery shows, and live music. The Paramount is showing classic films on a giant screen and the downtown multiplex movie theater is open with renovations underway. Sure, there are plenty of bars but I think every town has those.

So what are you getting at?

Old 02-26-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
I've never been on an empty Vermont highway, not even in a snowstorm at night. They're merely far less choked up than the expressways heading out of Boston, Nashua/Manchester, etc. Of course we need more tourists and I want to encourage that. I've just never seen it "empty" as you keep saying.
I spent most of my life in Vermont and many a night I felt alone on the highways as I worked nights. And as you live in one of Vermont's larger population centers you're not speaking of the average Vermont town.I'm not sure what you mean. Are you even speaking from experience? I think it's a meaningless generalization some people like to make about Rutland. Your veiled words about Rutland are inaccurate and convey nothing useful to information seekers.

My husband & I have evening plans in Rutland in the next two weeks including two plays, a Natalie McMaster concert, and a community fundraiser. There are dance performances, contra dances, lectures, gallery shows, and live music. The Paramount is showing classic films on a giant screen and the downtown multiplex movie theater is open with renovations underway. Sure, there are plenty of bars but I think every town has those.

So what are you getting at?
Please...I'm sure you know as well as I that while Rutland has some very nice night entertaiment venues it's best known as having the highest number of bars per capita in the nation. And to answer your question I worked nights in Rutland for several years so yes, I do know what I'm talking about and if you'd ever driven from Rutland to Springfield at midnight or 1:00 AM during a winter snow storm you would know what I'm talking about when I say the roads are empty. I won't even get into Rutlands latest police scandel.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Please...I'm sure you know as well as I that while Rutland has some very nice night entertaiment venues it's best known as having the highest number of bars per capita in the nation.
I know it and you might know it, but people who DON'T know it come here to learn about Vermont towns. Saying, "And as for the night time activities in Rutvegas..." is misleading and not helpful to people seeking info.

Rutland's bars-per-capita statistic is old. If it was ever really true, I don't think it was by the time I moved here in the mid-'90s. I believe La Crosse, Wisconsin, now holds that "honor."

Quote:
to answer your question I worked nights in Rutland for several years so yes, I do know what I'm talking about and if you'd ever driven from Rutland to Springfield at midnight or 1:00 AM during a winter snow storm you would know what I'm talking about when I say the roads are empty. I won't even get into Rutlands latest police scandel.
Why are you bringing up the police scandal? I mean, it's scandalous and awful, to be sure, but I don't believe it's germane to the discussion. Wait, do you just want to dump on Rutland and other parts of Vermont, and say everything you can think of that's awful about them? Please, go right ahead, I won't spoil your fun.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:00 AM

Why are you bringing up the police scandal? I mean, it's scandalous and awful, to be sure, but I don't believe it's germane to the discussion. Wait, do you just want to dump on Rutland and other parts of Vermont, and say everything you can think of that's awful about them? Please, go right ahead, I won't spoil your fun.[/quote]

And if you wish to make Rutland sound like some vacation destination hot spot or center of civic and social activities while ignoring the high taxes, high unemploment and increasing crime that's your choice. Would I move to Rutland, I'd consider it if I was going to move to Vermont, however Rutland is NOT the type of town most people think of when they think of Vermont, and I would never consider moving back to Vermont.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:
And if you wish to make Rutland sound like some vacation destination hot spot or center of civic and social activities while ignoring the high taxes, high unemploment and increasing crime that's your choice.

That is your inference and does not reflect my words or thoughts.
I'm answering the questions asked and offering alternative viewpoints when others give misleading statements (e.g., "And as for the night time activities in Rutvegas..." -- unhelpful and misleading).

When posters ask about cultural activities, I'll answer on topic. I won't qualify every statement with warnings about taxes, unemployment, etc., unless that's also part of the discussion. I wasn't aware that the Surgeon General now requires warning labels on cities and towns.

Quote:
Rutland is NOT the type of town most people think of when they think of Vermont
That's right. Often people imagine towns that don't really exist, perhaps something from the Bob Newhart Show. Or maybe they like the idea of living in Vermont and want to know more about its cities and towns. So I'll discuss the Vermont city where I live, a place where I and many others are happy. I discuss Rutland's drawbacks honestly, which you'd know if you've seen my many previous posts about Rutland.

Quote:
and I would never consider moving back to Vermont.
Hmm, yes. I am intrigued that people who can't stand Vermont and move away keep coming back to haunt it with criticism, generalizations, stereotypes, and veiled comments that offer little information.

I've made my point about this particular conversation, several times in fact. Now I'm off to enjoy Rutland's farmers market (outstanding by any standards), my favorite consignment stores, the library, and an awesome 2-hour workout at a great new fitness studio. Tonight, a show at the Paramount. Despite all the city's problems, this is what my life in Rutland is like. No warnings necessary.

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 02-27-2010 at 06:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont