Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 10:38 AM

4 posts, read 10,810 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We're looking at a house in Ferrisburg and were wondering if you guys have any thoughts on the area. The house is on the western side of route 7, a couple of miles from Button Bay State Park. We've driven through the area a few times and liked it a lot -- we especially like North Ferrisburg, which feels like a tight-knit community and are wondering if there's the same kind of community feel on the western side side of the highway.

Also, does Ferrisburg feel like a suburb of Burlington? While we'd like to be within striking distance of Burlington, we're currently living in the Middlebury area (we both work in Middlebury) and really like the fact that it doesn't feel like a suburb, but more it's own place.

Any thoughts would certainly be appreciated!

Last edited by bippy d; 08-05-2009 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: typo fix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 11:15 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,830,154 times
While Ferrisburg doesn't have the Norman Rockwell type village it's a nice area. Kingsland Bay SP is a nice place for swimming. It's near the lake but quick to get into the mountains. Lots of groovy places within 30 min for both outdoor recreation and attractions.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:18 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,275,634 times
Ferrisburg does not feel like a suburb! It's a really nice small community. Lots to do in the area with the lakes, Mt. Philo, Vergennes, etc. Do you have any specific questions?

Old 08-06-2009, 10:17 AM

4 posts, read 10,810 times
Thanks for the input -- it does seem like a lovely, lovely area. The house we're looking at is outside of our price range, but also sort of a dream house for us -- we could manage it, but would have to make some sacrifices I don't know that we're willing to make. I suppose part of me was hoping you'd all say that Ferrisburg is awful!

We just discovered Button Bay SP the other day and couldn't believe how lovely it is -- haven't had a chance to see Mount Philo yet and we've heard the Kingsland Bay is also gorgeous. Basically we're in awe of everything here; Vermont is an amazing place.

I do have a few specific questions and some of them may be a little weird:

1) Any sense of how much longer the commute to Midd would be during the winter?
2) Is that flatish plain between the lake and Route 7 really windy all the time? Or just when weather's coming in?
3) Does Otter Creek ever flood along there? (Basin Harbor Rd)
4) Is it particularly buggy there? I know there are bugs everywhere, but the house we're renting is pretty bad -- apparently it has a reputation in the area for lots of mosquitos -- so I'm curious about how bad it might be there.
4) We don't have kids yet, but how are the schools around there?

Any other input would be great -- we're also loving the areas around Middlebury, like Weybridge, Cornwall and New Haven -- how do these places compare with Ferrisburg?

Sorry about all of the questions -- I appreciate any info you guys have!

Last edited by bippy d; 08-06-2009 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: typos!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont