Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 05:19 PM

914 posts, read 2,928,643 times

Advertisements

I wonder where all the old-timers went? not old in age only, but those who can trace their family in Vermont back many generations. It would be interesting to do a documentary on this subject, if there hasn't been one done already - the disappearnce or assimilation of the New England yankee. It's ironic how so many people will wring their hands and lose sleep at night over the plight over endangered wildlife species, but don't give a thought to the extinction of ethnic/cultural groups that helped to create a nation.

Last edited by looking4home; 09-03-2009 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 09:45 AM

102 posts, read 314,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
I wonder where all the old-timers went? not old in age only, but those who can trace their family in Vermont back many generations. It would be interesting to do a documentary on this subject, if there hasn't been one done already - the disappearnce or assimilation of the New England yankee. It's ironic how so many people will wring their hands and lose sleep at night over the plight over endangered wildlife species, but don't give a thought to the extinction of ethnic/cultural groups that helped to create a nation.
My husband's family has been in Vermont since the 1700's. His uncle is in his 90's and still works on the multi-generational dairy farm. It's very rural, very isolated. Uncle is more social than my father-in-law and has granted many interviews. The family was very self-sufficient on the farm and rarely bought anything at the store.

There are some hilarious stories. For instance, someone brought a coconut to the family as a gift. It was a rare thing. My father-in-law was just a boy (he was the black sheep of the family, even then) and stole off with the coconut and tapped it and drank all the milk. Well, to say he was ill would be an understatement. I am sure his poor Vermont native belly revolted at the exotic treat ! Word is he lived in the outhouse for the better part of the week. To this day, eighty-six years later, he won't even look at anything that has coconut in it.

Though he died years ago and I never met him, their dad was known as a prankster. He would make the most delicious hard cider. When company stopped by, he'd get the cider jug out and pour a tiny glass for the guests. As a teen, my aunt was a visitor. She's now gone, too, but in her eighties she told me the story of her visit to the farm. She said the cider was so smooth, it went down so easy and was the most delicious cider she'd ever had. Typically, Gramp would offer another small glass, and when that was gone, with a twinkle in his eye, he'd offer just a tad more. Usually, the gents would stop at two, but the young ladies seemed unaware of what was to come and would politely accept yet another glass. There was no buzz, no lead-up to what came next. After three small glasses it was like you'd been hit with a ton of bricks. Suddenly you were falling down drunk. Gramp would help carry the drunken lass out to the car, chuckling all the way. Word would spread that Gramp had another "victim" and there was much knee-slapping in the valley over the next weeks as the story was told over and over. And the victims took it all in good humor, having been initiated into the rite of passage I suppose. It's classic Vermont humor.

Yeah, those times must have been really tough, never knowing if the crops would fail or if the cows would get sick and die. But people knew how to work hard, live well, be thankful for the good times, be kind to one another and laugh. It is sad that in these busy times, we'll never know that way of life.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:04 AM

18,329 posts, read 26,575,892 times
Quote:
I'm still here, for now. On both my father's and mother's sides of the family were early settlers of VT. My father's side came from CT in the 1700's (where they had moved to in the 1630's), my mother's side from NH (where they also came in the 1630's) about the same time oddly enough. Most of them were involved with the Revolution in some way, most as militiamen and officers, some as political leaders. My ancestors on my mother's side were relatives of John and Nicholas Gilman (Joseph was a member of the Continental Congress and later NH governor, Nicholas a delegate at the Constitutional Convention and later a member of Congress). Most of my extended family has left the state as will I when I have the cash to get out and some other things settle out. The rich people who want VT as their personal playground are getting their wish I guess. I hope NH and ME don't also succomb entirely to it.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:42 PM

914 posts, read 2,928,643 times
Well, then, don't leave arctichomesteader! Can't you homestead in VT? what is driving you away? what types of things anoy you about VT - be specific!

And Duff in VT, I loved your stories. They were funny and sweet, and an example of some harmless fun from another era. But you know that if the hard cider episode happened today, your husband's grandfather would be sued up the ying-yang! I shudder to think of all the charges that would be brought against him - he would probably end up losing his farm over something like that, maybe even incarcerated, or have to wear an ankle monitor at the very least!

Old 09-05-2009, 06:27 AM

102 posts, read 314,296 times
Quote:
Well, then, don't leave arctichomesteader! Can't you homestead in VT? what is driving you away? what types of things anoy you about VT - be specific!

And Duff in VT, I loved your stories. They were funny and sweet, and an example of some harmless fun from another era. But you know that if the hard cider episode happened today, your husband's grandfather would be sued up the ying-yang! I shudder to think of all the charges that would be brought against him - he would probably end up losing his farm over something like that, maybe even incarcerated, or have to wear an ankle monitor at the very least!

I thought of that as I wrote. Serving alcohol to a minor, the boy no doubt charged with date rape. Some of the pranks and practical jokes the farmers and laborers pulled would surely bring a lawsuit today, but they are legends. This particular area of Vermont was known for its jokesters. One particular retired electrician has written a couple of books on the antics of the locals. But, yes, in this day and age... oh my goodness what lawsuits could be filed !

Old 09-05-2009, 10:57 AM

18,329 posts, read 26,575,892 times
Quote:
High price of real estate, high taxes, poor economy, too much regulation, and the far-left politics brought by the outsiders get old.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:37 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,112,613 times
The shopping in VT stinks unless you are a rich tourist, a rich local (BUY LOCAL ALL THE TIME!!! ), or like funky and strange items you can find at the Co-op.

Personally I like our Co-op but cannot afford it. If I had the money, I would shop there all the time because it has great choice for the vegetarians in my home.

NH seems to have more jobs than VT and the pay is more 'realistic'.

Both states are beautiful. I live on the border of both and enjoy the best of the area.

Vermont is more tourist oriented (at least it is here).

Old 02-21-2012, 06:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,200 times
There are tons of differences. First of they are both Libertarian, but Vermont is Left side and New Hampshire is right. New Hampshire is far less beautiful then Vermonts great mountains near Scratton where my house is but I guess thats just opinion. From what I hear generally the schools are better in Vermont due to the higher taxes, but the downside is you have to pay the taxes :P. Luckily both have good gun laws for me and my Pops . NH is much more developed but where I live in Vermont its more like Western Mass or something, sparsely populated but with some great towns like Wilmington and Brattleboro. I personally live in Scratton, great skiing and the summers are great. Waaaay better skiing in Vermont than NH, no doubt about it. Only downside is we get too many vacationers from New York and New Jersey who are SO obnoxious!! We get some Mass folk too who are way less obnoxious and I actually like them although they are still touristas . Sports wise, its mostly Boston with some NY fans here and there, especially for football :/. Overall, they're both great states and it comes down to waht you prefer, as for me, VT PRIDE!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont