Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 01:38 PM

459 posts, read 1,036,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Absolutely no jobs.....your kidding right? This site has over 1200 Vermont jobs.
Jobs in Vermont, Vermont jobs, Vermont employment - jobsinvermont.com

There are thousands of jobs on the state job site, monster.com, craiglist, the classified...........
Granted the job market isn't the greatest but to say there are no jobs is sillytown.
Correction. If you are young and have a degree, you leave VT.
There are jobs here... Retail and service, and some labor jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 03:52 PM

82 posts, read 229,466 times
Quote:
Correction. If you are young and have a degree, you leave VT.
There are jobs here... Retail and service, and some labor jobs.
*ding ding ding*

Old 09-30-2009, 04:33 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
The vast majority of my friends who left Vermont after HS/College are coming back to raise their families AND have secured GOOD JOBS. I'd love to see a study about how many people that leave eventually come back.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:04 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
People do come back, but it when they are older. Vermont has the second oldest median aged population in the country and is expected to pass Maine in the next census. There are jobs here as well, but they are not well paid jobs. The census bureau report which recently came out points out the huge difference in pay between our state and others in New England with similar costs. The median difference in yearly income is between 15-20 thousand per year. Then there is the very high divorce rate in the state(I think we rank fifth in the country). This could also play a small role in people moving out of state as well.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:01 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
I think I found some data that will help answer your question. I went to the US Census website and did some drilling and came up with estimated populations for all states since the last census in 2000. They estimate by using birth, death, houshold and other data to estimate the population. Only during the census years do they have the for sure numbers. Here's the link, you need excel to upload it.
Population Estimates (http://www.census.gov/popest/states/NST-ann-est.html - broken link)

Some of the info on Vermont population from the US PEP(Population Estimate Program)
2008 - 621.270
2007 - 620,748
2006 - 620,196
2005 - 619,282
2004 - 618,432
the rest of the years are the same growth rate so it's been slow and steady for years. Personally I'm good with that, fast growth is a double edged sword.

This data makes me more comfortable with my forecast that there will be a slight decline in 2009 but you never know.

Vermont has always been on the lower end of the scale household incomewise and I don't think that will ever change, much to the discern of some posters on this forum.

In general terms in 1900 50% of Vermont GNP was ag and 50% manufacturing. Now it's more like 45% ag, 45% tourist and maybe 10% manufacturing. Ironically alot of people hate that Vermont's economy has become so tourist oriented but if we still had 50% manufacturing Vermont would really be in trouble. I realize the wages are higher in manufacturing but I gues I'm a glass half full person.

The tourist industry has only declined about 8% this past summer(recent article in the Times Argus and about 6% for last ski season.Source Vermont Ski Area Assoc.

Now if we could only get milk prices back up so farmers aren't being paid less than is costs them to produce the milk then we might stop the fast decline of the small family farm. That's a train wreck that is gaining speed every month.

Hope the data helps

Old 10-01-2009, 12:59 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
I think I found some data that will help answer your question. I went to the US Census website and did some drilling and came up with estimated populations for all states since the last census in 2000. They estimate by using birth, death, houshold and other data to estimate the population. Only during the census years do they have the for sure numbers. Here's the link, you need excel to upload it.
Population Estimates (http://www.census.gov/popest/states/NST-ann-est.html - broken link)

Some of the info on Vermont population from the US PEP(Population Estimate Program)
2008 - 621.270
2007 - 620,748
2006 - 620,196
2005 - 619,282
2004 - 618,432
the rest of the years are the same growth rate so it's been slow and steady for years. Personally I'm good with that, fast growth is a double edged sword.

This data makes me more comfortable with my forecast that there will be a slight decline in 2009 but you never know.

Vermont has always been on the lower end of the scale household incomewise and I don't think that will ever change, much to the discern of some posters on this forum.
In general terms in 1900 50% of Vermont GNP was ag and 50% manufacturing. Now it's more like 45% ag, 45% tourist and maybe 10% manufacturing. Ironically alot of people hate that Vermont's economy has become so tourist oriented but if we still had 50% manufacturing Vermont would really be in trouble. I realize the wages are higher in manufacturing but I gues I'm a glass half full person.

The tourist industry has only declined about 8% this past summer(recent article in the Times Argus and about 6% for last ski season.Source Vermont Ski Area Assoc.

Now if we could only get milk prices back up so farmers aren't being paid less than is costs them to produce the milk then we might stop the fast decline of the small family farm. That's a train wreck that is gaining speed every month.

Hope the data helps
Many complain about the income, but there is a reason to compain about it. I have lived in other states and have family in other states. A suburban area in Mass or Ct is no different than a suburban area in Vermont. It is a big factor for why the younger people leave the state. I was no different when I was younger. Vermont was a great place to visit, but I had to have a job that paid well. Once I was older with experience and with a family, I was willing to take a slight pay cut to live in Vermont.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:10 PM

459 posts, read 1,036,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
The vast majority of my friends who left Vermont after HS/College are coming back to raise their families AND have secured GOOD JOBS. I'd love to see a study about how many people that leave eventually come back.
Good jobs?
Such as?

Old 10-03-2009, 06:40 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
software engineers

Old 10-03-2009, 10:49 AM

894 posts, read 1,557,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
software engineers
Right I know two CIO one in Burlington one in Hartford, CT. Last year they were both seeking to employ a software engineer with the same qualifications the one in VT was looking to pay 40-50K(definately wanted to be closer to 40) the one in Hartford was offering 140K. Burlington is probably more expensive than most of Hartford and Hartford is close enough to enjoy VT on most weekends. You really got to want it to live in VT, it is not a close substitute to metro NY/Boston.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:08 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
You really got to want it to live in VT, it is not a close substitute to metro NY/Boston.
That's right. And we do. I could make twice as much as a nonprofit manager elsewhere. I was offered a position with a Boston organization I love. Though we have no desire to leave Vermont, we looked into it. We quickly declined. We want to wake up here every day, do our marketing here, volunteer in Vermont communities, and continue to call Vermont home.

We don't want to vacation in Vermont or drive up just for the weekend. My husband is from the Hartford, CT, area. We still visit friends there and it's clear to us that we wouldn't be happy living there. We're very happy with our decision to stay in Vermont. It's not for everyone, obviously, but it is for us and for our many friends who wouldn't leave.

No trust funds or rose-colored glasses; just day-to-day reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont