Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 06:12 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
Just gonna throw it out there and leave it open ended. Looking for a good community, artsy, organic, "hippie" if you must, alternative schools, access to outdoors type of town. I know they both fit pretty well but.......

Which one would you choose to live in or around if you could and why??? I want some insight as to why you choose one over the other. Perhaps some issue I haven't considered because I am not from that area.

Thanks
If you find this place, let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 07:09 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,766,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
If you find this place, let me know!

There are a bunch of places like this all over the country. I could compile a list for you if you wish

Old 10-08-2009, 10:07 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,500,653 times
I'd love to see such a list.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:33 AM

Asheville, nc
Missoula, MT
Eugene, OR
Multiple cities in northern calif.
Madison, WI
Austin, TX
Durango, CO
Ithaca, NY (from what I am told)
Burlington, VT
Brattleboro, VT ( from what I'm told)

There are more but just a few off the top of my head. Obviously noy everyone in these areas fits the above mentioned but there is a very large presence of such. Don't you all travel ever??

Old 10-08-2009, 11:07 PM

119 posts, read 379,588 times
Quote:
Asheville, nc
Missoula, MT
Eugene, OR
Multiple cities in northern calif.
Madison, WI
Austin, TX
Durango, CO
Ithaca, NY (from what I am told)
Burlington, VT
Brattleboro, VT ( from what I'm told)

There are more but just a few off the top of my head. Obviously noy everyone in these areas fits the above mentioned but there is a very large presence of such. Don't you all travel ever??

Thanks for a Great list organick,i can vouch for Missoula MT witch is quirky a liberal oasis in the middle of the most right wing area of the country.Also the diversity cancer is not a problem there as it is in Eugene OR.whom is also a great town.
However When it comes to N. California,for anyone whom is thinking about going there,i suggest you check a article i red on buzzflash.com,on top of having severe water problems California is literally bankrupt.
Thanks to your great list organick i was able to find what looks like is going to be my little slice of paradise.A place that i would have never thought off!!!

Old 10-09-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT View Post

i was able to find what looks like is going to be my little slice of paradise.A place that i would have never thought off!!!

good for you...where at??

also in regards to cali. its quite expensive also.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:47 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,977 times
Quote:
So is Durango, another place we considered. Prices and cost of living were shocking.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:00 AM

894 posts, read 1,558,558 times
There are tons of towns like that. New Paltz NY fits the description and there are more like it up and down the Hudson Valley. As to the comment about CA being broke, VT has serious budget problems.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:41 PM

85 posts, read 249,966 times
Default Ithaca VS. Brattleboro

I lived 25 minutes south of Ithaca growing up. It was a great town to go out to visit/shop/eat/see things. Yes it has Ithaca college and Cornell University. Don't get me wrong, Cornell University was incredible to have nearby. My mother worked there for many years and took me to some pretty amazing agriculture exzibits. After you have been there for a bit it is the same as any place else. I know live in NH, have been to Brattleboro many times, and I can tell that the fall scenery is not even close to what there is to offer up further in New England. Brattleboro may be "artsy", but trust me, Ithaca is as well, and the all mighty dollar is all that talks as well in Ithaca. Hope this helps.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:49 PM

119 posts, read 379,588 times
Quote:
good for you...where at??

False alarm old chum,i was a little bit premature...the town i was speaking off was Durango.Co,
After you mentioned it ,i did some preliminary research and i thought WOW!!!!
This is it i found Nirvana.
However as with a one night stand in the light of the morning often the reality is brutally disappointing in so many ways.
Many knocks Durango for being to expensive but that is to be expected for what is a desirable place to live,however the dirty little secret that nobody talks about is the violent crime situation witch exist there.I had dinner today with a California couple that use to live in Aspen Colorado but have relocated to saratoga spring by all place whom told of that unspoken crime situation.Witch according to them is also the case in Aspen no less.
The reason why that is,
as to the do with the absolute invasion of illegals witch have literally taken over Colorado.I was incredulous(or in denial)at first but when i got home i started digging in and i saw on a local Durango blog similar to city-data testimonies that corroborate the couple's assessment.In the outlining area of Durango(as in Aspen)is where the proverbial help lives and you guest it a lot off them are illegals and according to the FBI report link on that website the sub-human MS-13 street gang as set camp there.However i do not know if that sub-human MS-13 crap on 2 legs is also in Aspen but they have a large illegal population there nonetheless.
Astonishingly if you look at a the demographic of the towns in CO. witch have a 85-90%(+) white majority you will see that the Latino population form a disproportionally large portion of the minority population.

here i pasted what i red from the locals on that blog:

" Durango has the second-highest violent crime rate, with 810 violent crimes per 100,000 residents (where 450 is the national average and 700 is considered high.) Englewood had the highest crime rate, with more than 900 violent crimes per 100,000 residents. Of course, that doesn't even include the extremely violent small towns like Cripple Creek that have less than 5,000 people, but Durango definitely has a high enough crime rate. And this is based on official FBI data, so the statistics are NOT wrong. Rates of aggravated assault, forcible rape, and murder are especially high. And speaking of murder, there wasn't a murder in Durango for years and years, but the silence was broken in 2004, when 1 or 2 murders started happening each year. This is just ridiculous for such a small, isolated town. This, combined with the extremely high cost of living, makes Durango a bad place to raise a family."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont