Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 02:46 PM

894 posts, read 1,557,467 times

Advertisements

Hard to beat living next to an Ivy(even if it is the state school of the Ivies)
Ithaca is Gorges. Or just go where you find a job first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 03:37 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz affair View Post
Arel said it all

I have found the culture in Bratt enormous -Theater groups, museums. Plus great restaurants, wine bars, martini bars, non chain coffee houses, shops offering unique clothing & a downtown that in fact looks and acts very urban, but is 10 minutes to the Vermont countryside.

If you want urban sophistication that offers the best of New England, NYC & Boston in a small capsule, Bratt is it. A great little town- that offers so much.

And you're only about 2 -3 hours from the ocean. I'm sure Cayuga Lake is great, but sometimes I feel the need to see the ocean.

I miss the ocean less than I thought I would when I moved here, though. And I can get a lot of the feeling of the sea by looking at Youtube videos. Plus, I love looking at the hills and mountains here.

Of course, when I learn of hurricanes and tsunamis, I'm glad I'm further inland.

Actually, Vermont does experience hurricanes, but it is way too far inland for storm surges.

Last edited by arel; 10-16-2009 at 03:47 PM..

Old 05-09-2011, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,056 times
I live twenty two miles from Ithaca, NY and my boyfriend is from Brattleboro, VT. We are contemplating moving from our home in NY to Brattleboro. Ithaca is a gorgeous area and there is a lot to do.. However jobs are very hard to come by in NYS at this time and taxes and the cost of living are through the roof. Ithaca has a lot of natural beauty and as stated by someone else that in Ithaca your a long way from everything, thats a false statement. NYC is about 3.5 hours from Ithaca, Brattleboro is about 4.5, Boston is about 5, and with all the lakes we have here you may get to be like me and have no overly huge desire to go to the ocean. There are 5 malls i like to shop at around the central NY area that are probably all within an hour to an hour and half from Ithaca with one being right in Ithaca. My boyfriend and i love NY but sadly are looking into moving to Brattleboro due to the fact that we cant afford to live here. But if you do decide to move to NY do keep in mind that school systems in NYS are wonderful.. If you have anymore questions feel free to email me at [email]fordracebabe5@yahoo.com[/email] i have lived in NYS for almost 25 years so i can answer any questions you may have!

Old 10-30-2011, 02:43 PM

57 posts, read 50,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
One big plus to Ithaca is its close proximity to Farm Sanctuary in Watkins Glen.
Good point - may be the tie breaker (at least for me).

I find when I live somewhere, I see the points of interests (listed for Bratt) only when out of towners visit.

I do like that Brattleboro has a train to NYC. Does Ithica?

My kids want me to move back to NE

Old 11-02-2011, 10:37 PM

322 posts, read 709,946 times
I'm from upstate NY (no, Ithaca isn't upstate, its more considered Central NY) and I'd move to Battleboro.

I've visited both a lot, an Ithaca many many times, including joint work efforts.

I agree with the comment about the almighty dollar being quite important in Ithaca. Now, I loved the few coops, farmer's markets and the "Ithaca Hour" form of currency. It worked well in the 90s, but didn't really take off. Very liberal, eh? Circulating your own "money"!

Whilst in Ithaca, I interviewed over the years a number of folks in the service sector. Master's degrees were the norm for waitresses and coffee house servers. Jobs are not plentiful in Ithaca. It has an over-saturation of people wanting to live there and uncommonly over-educated populace (in comparison to other parts of Central and Upstate towns) due to the schools in the area. Its not very hippie, not now.

If NY state is your fancy, look toward Hudson, New Paltz or any of the Hudson River valley towns; esp the few that still have ashrams nearby.

I live now in Houston and get to Austin quite a bit. I do not find Austin at all close to Ithaca, Hudson, Burlington, Boulder, etc. And its a big city. Shopping at Whole Foods is about the only alternative lifestyle I've seen in that city, besides the wannabes trying to grow their dreads. Poser stuff. Young kids.

Upstate NY (say Syracuse to Albany north) - tends to get more remote. We have hermits, not intentional communities, although a few do still survive in the Mohawk Valley.

I'd move to Battleboro of the two, mostly because from there, you can get other places from time to time. The gorge areas and finger lakes get dull, sorry. And south of the thruway (excepting Ithaca) - is a bit dire, in my opinion. I mean, weekend in Binghamton? Jamestown? Ugh. Double ugh. From Battleboro you are at the coast in a few hours.

Ithaca may have an airport, but the fares are higher to get there. Most folk drive up to Rochester.

I think also the jobs/support issue could make a difference, unless you are so independently wealthy that you do not need to work. In that case, I'd take off for Northern California.

If you are into opening a small business, I can tell you from experience that New York State is awful for small businesses. I'd never move back to NYS to open a business. Sadly, this is what the towns in NY need but the taxes are crippling.

OH, my vote for laid back town is Nederland, CO. Boulder has grown so large and dense....but Nederland - nice. And the little towns north of it are even more, lets say...anarchic.

No doubt, each of your towns are lovely in their own ways.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:51 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post

Actually, Vermont does experience hurricanes, but it is way too far inland for storm surges.
goes to show....you never know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont