Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:33 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,503,916 times

Advertisements

I've heard of Curtis BBQ, but I haven't tried them yet.

I've eaten at Top of the Hill Grill in Brattleboro. Very good.

I had dinner once last year at the Front Porch Cafe in Putney. Great food, great atmostphere. I imagined how spectacular it must look during Christmas season, but I never went there that winter. Maybe this year.

The Putney Diner is pretty good, too, if you like traditional simple American food.

What was the Putney General Store like? What did they sell there? Was it just a grocery and convenience store, or did they have a counter and/or tables?

I hope they find a way to rebuild.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:01 AM

894 posts, read 1,560,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
The saddest part is that the PHS was using grant money in part to rebuild it and now since it burnt to the ground there is nothing historical left. The original fire left several walls and other lower stucture intact so they could rebuild from there but not now. It was insured but now the PHS is between a rock and a hard place since the second rebuild would have no historical basis.
Cute as these old stores are they are unprofitable. Only way to have a viable general store is to add gas pumps and build a bright modern mini mart. But VT would rather subsidize a failing business for the sake of vanity.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:15 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,831,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
I've heard of Curtis BBQ, but I haven't tried them yet.

I've eaten at Top of the Hill Grill in Brattleboro. Very good.

I had dinner once last year at the Front Porch Cafe in Putney. Great food, great atmostphere. I imagined how spectacular it must look during Christmas season, but I never went there that winter. Maybe this year.

The Putney Diner is pretty good, too, if you like traditional simple American food.

What was the Putney General Store like? What did they sell there? Was it just a grocery and convenience store, or did they have a counter and/or tables?

I hope they find a way to rebuild.
To be honest it was just like many of the other small town general stores in that it had alittle bit of everything. Awesome deli, beer and wine, gifts, toys, grocery, hardware, t-shirts, etc.

Don't remember any tables but it's been a couple of years and when I am in Putney it's usually to have breakfast/lunch at the Putney Diner.

Like many general stores it's right in the middle of the village and been in business for many many years.

The Guilford General Store which is about 3 miles south of Bratt on Rt 5 is a similar type of general store. Guilford is alot smaller than Putney but the same vibe is there.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:23 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,296,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Cute as these old stores are they are unprofitable. Only way to have a viable general store is to add gas pumps and build a bright modern mini mart. But VT would rather subsidize a failing business for the sake of vanity.
More like tradition and pride.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:38 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,136,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
More like tradition and pride.
And the richness of community that money can't buy.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:59 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,831,232 times
There is also a practicle side in that most locals would rather buy stuff in the community and pay alittle more rather than driving to Bratt to shop at the big fancy Hannefords as it puts money back into the community and obviously it saves time and gas money which means it really doesn't end up costing more buying locally.

There is a big fancy gas/convenence store, been there for many years right at the I91 exit but the Putney Diner/Putney General Store is always busier. The sandwiches in the deli counter at the convenience store do not look very appitizing and they are not cheap. Sometimes I will stop at the convenience store to get gas, there is a gas station in the village BTW, and then drive into the village to eat at the Putney Diner.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:06 AM

You can't take money out of this. Rebuild money was from taxes. Should tax money go to keep an unprofitable private business afloat? After supporting these places with tax dollars then paying their price for groceries I'd call it the opposite of 'richness of community.'

Old 11-04-2009, 10:19 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,523,683 times
Quote:
You can't take money out of this. Rebuild money was from taxes. Should tax money go to keep an unprofitable private business afloat? After supporting these places with tax dollars then paying their price for groceries I'd call it the opposite of 'richness of community.'
It wasn't the first historical building restored with some grant money. It doesn't hurt to save buildings from the 1790's, as I see it. It's education that's killing this state's finances, not projects like that general store.

And many general stores are staying in business in the state. They may not be as profitable as walmart or rite aid but I'd prefer more of the money spent staying in the state than going to a CEO somewhere.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:32 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,136,678 times
Quote:
Should tax money go to keep an unprofitable private business afloat?
Do you know that this business was unprofitable? I'd like to see that info.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:30 PM

If it was profitable why did they burn it down twice? Joking. Let's assume it was profitable should tax money go to a profitable private business? Is it OK because they are in a cute historical building that fits a self image of life in VT? Can I have some of your money to run a business if I promise to do it in an old building? Seems most of VT agrees with doing things the way this went. I don't believe it is long term sustainable to spend public money for questionable public good and private gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont