Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 08:36 AM

11 posts, read 16,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marma View Post
Hi Y'all,

What do you call people from vermont?

I am a white American and my husband is from India and he is an engineer (shocker). And we both lived in Georgia then moved to MI a few years ago.

I want to get out of MI due to the unstable economy and high property taxes here and he has an interview next week for a company that is based in Barre, Vermont and Cambridge, MA.

At least MI has a large brown population. I am concerned about vermont because it's not very diverse, and while people usually mean well, I just see a lot of ignorance and/or laziness about non-white culture from my own people regardless of what state I'm in:-0

I was disappointed to find the cost of living is MUCH higher in both areas than where we are now.

WHat is the cost of living difference in Barre, VT and Boston areas compared to detroit (we actually live in Auburn Hills)?

Anyone lived in more than one of these states?

In any case, I love the outdoors but find the Michigan winters too long.

I'm going to speak to the diversity in Massachusetts. I'm from Maine and have lived in Massachusetts (east [Boston] & west side [Springfield]). Yes, Massachusetts has more diversity but not so welcoming. Being someone of mixed ancestry, they were more inclined to be standoffish towards me until they realized I was "American" AND "not Puerto-Rican". There are some major issues towards spanish speakers in Massachusetts that I can't wrap my head around. My grandparents, Native Indians from Canada, visited Montpellier, VT a lot between 1950-1970. They never had a problem. If I had to choose between Massachusetts and Vermont.... Vermont. Think of it this way: Since Vermont doesn't have that many people "of color", they don't have any preconceived notions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 10:47 AM

18,333 posts, read 26,590,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Those people usually have four teeth.
I have more than 4 teeth...

Old 11-20-2009, 12:31 PM

5 posts, read 10,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Unless you like being a beacon of diversity suck up the COL and live in Cambridge. The COL isn't too bad, you will only need one car(or none). Commute is less, heating is less, taxes less. Job opportunities - just go to your favorite large job search engine pick an industry search all of VT, then search zip 02138 which is one of Cambridge's several zipcodes note how many results in each search. Enjoy Cambridge a multiracial family there is normal not an exception.
I would disagree about the taxes being less in Cambridge, Taxachusetts. Also, there is a big difference in the COL.

I think Montpelier has a younger, more open population than Barre and would be a great fit.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:18 PM

894 posts, read 1,566,562 times
For tax rankings VT is usually in the top 3 and MA lately has been middle of the pack around #25. COL- well there is lot of hidden costs associated with living in VT(snow tires, tie rods, etc). If you forget about costs and go to any online job bank and do a zipcode comparison the answer is obvious.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:27 PM

986 posts, read 2,340,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
For tax rankings VT is usually in the top 3 and MA lately has been middle of the pack around #25. COL- well there is lot of hidden costs associated with living in VT(snow tires, tie rods, etc). If you forget about costs and go to any online job bank and do a zipcode comparison the answer is obvious.
Property taxes are lower, but the cost of housing in general is a whole lot more. Using your example on finding a job (most of which don't pay enough to buy a house in Cambridge, except maybe the bad areas), use a real estate site and compare pricing.

If we're talking most of the rest of MA, then yes, you would be correct. Boston and the immediate surrounding areas (pretty much anything inside the 128 belt) is ridiculously expensive, and worse the closer you get to Boston.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:49 PM

459 posts, read 1,039,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.RMAX.NP View Post
I would disagree about the taxes being less in Cambridge, Taxachusetts. Also, there is a big difference in the COL.

I think Montpelier has a younger, more open population than Barre and would be a great fit.
"Taxachusetts" has far lower taxes than VT does.
There is a big difference in the cost of living. I've lived in Burlington and Cambridge, and I can tell you that Cambridge is far more affordable. Both places cost about the same, except in Cambridge you make $5 an hour more.
Don't know the COL in Barre, but I'd guess its low. But its... Barre.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:50 PM

459 posts, read 1,039,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
Property taxes are lower, but the cost of housing in general is a whole lot more. Using your example on finding a job (most of which don't pay enough to buy a house in Cambridge, except maybe the bad areas), use a real estate site and compare pricing.

If we're talking most of the rest of MA, then yes, you would be correct. Boston and the immediate surrounding areas (pretty much anything inside the 128 belt) is ridiculously expensive, and worse the closer you get to Boston.
Boston is no more expensive than Burlington, unless you're talking about moving to the Back Bay. Food is cheaper there, heat is cheaper, landlords generally cover utilities there...
Boston is more affordable than Burlington, no doubt.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:00 PM

19 posts, read 76,351 times
I grew up in Michigan and now live about 35 miles from Barre.

There are two sides to VT-- there's the beard-down-to-my-knees Vermont, and the New Vermont. The issue which perfectly encapsulates the situation is gay marriage-- VT was one of the first (or the 1st) state to grant civil union to gays-- and this was more than 5 years ago. VT in many ways is VERY progressive. But then these little yard signs started popping up everywhere which read: "Take Back VT." Those signs were an oddly ineffective backlash. Tourists didn't know what they meant!

Anyway-- Do you have children? Our elementary school is the most welcoming place on earth. You can find what you need in VT, you'll just have to look around a little bit, walk around, try to find the place that makes you the most comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont