Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 4,809 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

my company is opening a new location in Rutland and wants me to move up there to run it. I have been reading about the high COL and the fact that there is no jobs in the area my wife would be needing a job nothing specific anything really. So my question is moving from miami to rutland is the COL the same or higher also are there Jobs?? and what about the schools?? since we are from Miami we are an Hispanic family any tips on monthly cost of living (rent,elec,water,etc.) would e helpful. Please help me make up my mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 10:55 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,137,263 times
I'm a Miami native who's been living in Rutland since 1996, and in Norther New England since 1988. For me, COL was much higher in South Florida because rent was higher, 24/7/365 air conditioning ran up my electric bill, and I did MUCH more driving there than I do here. Also, I was miserable in S. Florida so I spent tons of money "entertaining" myself by going out, shopping, traveling, etc., none of which do I feel compelled to do here.

Rentals in Rutland are relatively scarce. If you like, I can PM you the names of landlords who own decent rental properties in the Rutland area.

To get an idea of rentals & prices (and there's always stuff available that's not advertised), check out rental properties at:

Vtcow.com | Vermont Classifieds On the Web

We work and live in our home, so it's in use all the time. Costs would probably be different for people who go out to work or school every day. In our 2000 sq foot house, we pay about $100/month for electricity during the most expensive months. We pay about $80 per quarter for water & sewer (includes washing our massage therapy linens at home). I can't remember what heating is costing us, but I did post all these costs in another thread on this forum if you're able to find it.

There aren't "no jobs" in the area, no matter what people say. There are plenty of low-paying service jobs at restaurants, stores, etc. Skilled work at higher pay is scarce, and that was true here even before the economy tanked. Nonetheless, we've always been lucky enough to have a small business that supports us and now I also happily work in the nonprofit sector, which employs more people as a percentage of the Vermont population than in most other states.

As with any move, it's critically important to make sure that you know how much your new life will cost, and that you have ways of earning it or other resources to cover it.

I don't know what it's like to be Hispanic in a predominantly white/anglo state. I've heard that some people who are ethnic minorities can feel uncomfortable here because there is so little diversity. This may not be a problem for you and your family at all, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Good luck to you and your family!

Old 11-18-2009, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 4,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
I'm a Miami native who's been living in Rutland since 1996, and in Norther New England since 1988. For me, COL was much higher in South Florida because rent was higher, 24/7/365 air conditioning ran up my electric bill, and I did MUCH more driving there than I do here. Also, I was miserable in S. Florida so I spent tons of money "entertaining" myself by going out, shopping, traveling, etc., none of which do I feel compelled to do here.

Rentals in Rutland are relatively scarce. If you like, I can PM you the names of landlords who own decent rental properties in the Rutland area.

To get an idea of rentals & prices (and there's always stuff available that's not advertised), check out rental properties at:

Vtcow.com | Vermont Classifieds On the Web

We work and live in our home, so it's in use all the time. Costs would probably be different for people who go out to work or school every day. In our 2000 sq foot house, we pay about $100/month for electricity during the most expensive months. We pay about $80 per quarter for water & sewer (includes washing our massage therapy linens at home). I can't remember what heating is costing us, but I did post all these costs in another thread on this forum if you're able to find it.

There aren't "no jobs" in the area, no matter what people say. There are plenty of low-paying service jobs at restaurants, stores, etc. Skilled work at higher pay is scarce, and that was true here even before the economy tanked. Nonetheless, we've always been lucky enough to have a small business that supports us and now I also happily work in the nonprofit sector, which employs more people as a percentage of the Vermont population than in most other states.

As with any move, it's critically important to make sure that you know how much your new life will cost, and that you have ways of earning it or other resources to cover it.

I don't know what it's like to be Hispanic in a predominantly white/anglo state. I've heard that some people who are ethnic minorities can feel uncomfortable here because there is so little diversity. This may not be a problem for you and your family at all, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Good luck to you and your family!
That is nice to here and yes rent is very expensive here I'm thinking about going up there alone to check it out before i make a commitment maybe about 3 months I do know that I will be up there on the 1st of December to maybe start hiring a staff for the business so please PM me those landlords thanks for the help.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flakes View Post
That is nice to here and yes rent is very expensive here I'm thinking about going up there alone to check it out before i make a commitment maybe about 3 months I do know that I will be up there on the 1st of December to maybe start hiring a staff for the business so please PM me those landlords thanks for the help.
I think making a 3-month commitment to see what it's like is a great idea. Especially since you might be here through winter. That's a good test of your tolerance! Early spring (really, just more months of winter with very dirty snow piles) is maybe even a better test.

I've PM'd you the names & contact info. Hope it helps.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:24 AM

23,615 posts, read 70,522,351 times
If you are starting up a location, you won't have a lot of time on your hands, but I still think that you'll have a pretty strong culture shock. By and large, Vermonters are VERY reserved and can appear unfriendly. There be hills and mountains in Vermont as well, and you will want to re-learn how to drive. Driving on snow on hills is totally different than driving in Miami. Also, that sun? Be prepared to say goodbye to it during the winter months especially. Not only are the daylight hours MUCH shorter, the sun doesn't get anywhere near as high in the sky and seems weak. Not trying to discourage you, just trying to prep you.

On the plus side, if you have kids, the WORST public schools in Vermont are better than the best ones in Miami. You also won't be spending money on nightlife - there ain't any. Whole towns shut down at five or six PM.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You also won't be spending money on nightlife - there ain't any. Whole towns shut down at five or six PM.

Not true in Rutland. Certainly it doesn't compare to SFla night life. But there are shows at the Paramount & Brick Box, plays in W. Rutland, performances and lectures at the colleges, cooking classes at the Co-op, meet-ups among social and civic groups, potlucks, classes, and more. Rutland even has some decent restaurants now. I don't know about the "bar scene" but I have friends who socialize at Little Harry's restaurant, Table 24, and Three Tomatoes, which are fun and tasty places.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
I don't know about the "bar scene" but I have friends who socialize at Little Harry's restaurant, Table 24, and Three Tomatoes, which are fun and tasty places.

For example, just saw this post on Facebook:

Wine drinkers... Table 24 is hosting a Beaujolais reception tonight at 5:30! It's going to be fun and yummy, paired with some appetizers that we all know won't suck! Oh yeah, and it's FREE!!! Keep next Monday the 30th open for a wine tasting and more food here too! Only $10 a person... lots of wine and food! (come... on, it's Monday, in Rutland, what else are you going to do?) See you all soon...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont