Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 12:50 PM

11,765 posts, read 14,720,208 times

Advertisements

I don't know where the posters selling these scare stories about the drug problem live, but from my experience I would say that they are grossly exaggerated.

Given that every human civilization has found or devised some way of seeking altered states of consciousness, it should be no surprise that people in Vermont use drugs, especially alcohol. From what I have read there is credible support for the proposition that there may be drug-related violence in and around Rutland and probably Burlington. Beyond that, there are plenty of people who use drugs recreationally. It will be a rare person whose life is adversely affected by those people.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:12 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,147,388 times
This discussion of drugs in Vermont sounds more like a caricature or cartoon rather than anything truly prevalent, at least in my part of Vermont.

I live and work in Rutland. We sometimes see petty crimes and, rarely, drug-related violence in the newspaper. However, drug crime/violence have not been part of our lives here.

When I lived in South Florida, I knew people of all ages and professions who smoked pot. Here, though, if anyone I know does smoke pot, it hasn't leaked over into my friendship, acquaintanceship, or professional relationship with them to the extent that I've noticed. I see a lot of beer and other alcohol consumed here.

We do have loved ones dealing with addiction, which is about getting help for a horrible disease and dealing with its heartbreaking consequences. It doesn't resemble anything in the discussion going on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I don't know where the posters selling these scare stories about the drug problem live, but from my experience I would say that they are grossly exaggerated.

Given that every human civilization has found or devised some way of seeking altered states of consciousness, it should be no surprise that people in Vermont use drugs, especially alcohol. From what I have read there is credible support for the proposition that there may be drug-related violence in and around Rutland and probably Burlington. Beyond that, there are plenty of people who use drugs recreationally. It will be a rare person whose life is adversely affected by those people.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:15 PM

894 posts, read 1,566,408 times
It's not drug crime or drug violence in Vermont. It is widespread recreational drug use taking the Vermont standard of mediocrity lower, then slowing down, everything so slow and mediocre don't want anybody of diminished capacities to fall behind or be found out.
Go read Gypsysoul's post again, she has a kid in school, she knows what is going on and what is important.

Last edited by vter; 03-15-2010 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: no flaming

Old 03-16-2010, 08:27 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,119,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
It's not drug crime or drug violence in Vermont. It is widespread recreational drug use taking the Vermont standard of mediocrity lower, then slowing down, everything so slow and mediocre don't want anybody of diminished capacities to fall behind or be found out.
Go read Gypsysoul's post again, she has a kid in school, she knows what is going on and what is important.
No, not violence. Recreational use and acceptance of it. Generational use.
In my last apartment both the mother and her teen son were stoners. They have now moved (thank goodness) and so have I but her attitude when the cops came to bust up a three day pot party was APATHY. She was only @20 minutes away and did not come back to scold him or anything. She never apologized to us.

Again, just because YOU don't hear about it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I just keep hearing more negatives from people here (they volunteer them, I do not ask) and think it is not the place to raise a child. Again, everyone else's experience may vary.

All I was doing was 'advising' this OP that maybe you need to dig a bit.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:46 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,301,093 times
Lets see..I've lived in Massachusetts and North Carolina and did I see/hear of recreational drug use there? You bet. IT'S EVERYWHERE.
I have no qualms about raising our children here. Of all my friends/family no one uses drugs. Does that mean it does not exist? No. We just choose not to associate with people who partake in that type of lifestyle and teach our children to do the same. I much prefer that our children grow up in a slow-paced peaceful environment vs. the cut-throat, competition/materialistic laden fast-paced lifestyle of where I lived in the Boston area.
To the OP-do your own research. Come and visit. Have a job lined up before you come or at least some significant savings.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
No, not violence. Recreational use and acceptance of it. Generational use.

Recreational drug use/abuse and acceptance happen everywhere. I don't believe Vermont is a bad place to raise children (having parented two sets of stepchildren who grew up here and turned out rather well) despite statistics about recreational marijuana use. I don't translate that to mean that individual children are more likely to use than their peers in other states. There are just too many other factors.

My friends and family raising children in other states, including states with lower drug use statistics, tell me what their children are exposed to regularly. It's pretty frightful stuff they'd likely never see in Vermont. Nonetheless, their children don't use drugs either.

The fact is, it's good and bad everywhere. The question is, which place is right for an individual person or family, based on their own wants, needs, and resources?

Old 03-16-2010, 09:21 AM

118 posts, read 285,779 times
My two cents on Vermont drug use. One of the unique things about Vermont life is the very flat social hierarchy. After awhile you'll know just about everybody in town. In addition, if you happen to be a local, you'll know a bunch of folks you wouldn't otherwise be friends with if you didn't already know each other from high school. This means that even as a non-user of drugs you'll likely know a bunch of people who are stoners. After awhile you'll get to know who's in who's social circle and sooner or later you realize that you child's school teachers, your attorney, and most of your neighbors are all friends with your stoner friends. If you pay attention and know what your listening you'll learn who is a user and who is not. The list of people I know in Vermont who are NOT users is very short.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang! View Post
One of the unique things about Vermont life is the very flat social hierarchy. After awhile you'll know just about everybody in town.
I agree. This is one of my favorite aspects of Vermont. I grew up in gated communities and among extreme classism (where drugs of all kinds were pervasive and constantly available, by the way). I love how much more connected people are here regardless of their economic resources, educational backgrounds, or professions.

Quote:
The list of people I know in Vermont who are NOT users is very short.
Clearly, despite Vermont being a small state, people's experiences vary greatly. This is not the case at all for me. Between clients, colleagues, and friends, people trust me with a lot of personal information they wouldn't want spread around town. Drug use is not in most of their repertoires.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:45 AM

118 posts, read 285,779 times
With all due respect Sheryl, if your not on a personal level with people who are users and are not present while people are using you'll never truly understand the scope of marijuana use in Vermont.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
With all due respect Sheryl, if your not on a personal level with people who are users and are not present while people are using you'll never truly understand the scope of marijuana use in Vermont.
I think personal experience gives one a sense of a real person's use, not a statewide scope. For reasons that are sadder and more personal than I care to discuss here, I am on a personal level with users.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont