Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:09 AM

894 posts, read 1,557,972 times

Advertisements

It is a funny cultural thing in VT everybody smoking pot is not some super secret to gossip about. It is just part of life openly shared with other users and not mentioned in polite company. Not sneaking around like teenagers. No one confides pot use in VT because it isn't taboo simply not spoken about with 'others.'
Of course the largest social network of VT is pot users so if you don't smoke you will always be an outsider- but hey you were moving to VT so you already have enough money and have no need for a job right?

Old 03-16-2010, 10:18 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
It is a funny cultural thing in VT everybody smoking pot is not some super secret to gossip about. It is just part of life openly shared with other users and not mentioned in polite company.

This gross generalization may (or may not) be true in, say Brattleboro or Burlington. It's certainly not the case in Rutland and many other towns.

Quote:
but hey you were moving to VT so you already have enough money and have no need for a job right?
Speaking of gross generalizations . . .

Old 03-16-2010, 10:57 AM

No pot culture in Rutland- ha! Anyone who doubts the pervasiveness of pot in VT should ask their friends, not accusingly. Of course don't ask them to spill the beans by name simply how much of it is around.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:38 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,015 times
There is a world of difference between
Quote:
No pot culture in Rutland- ha!
which I never even implied and
Quote:
It is a funny cultural thing in VT everybody smoking pot is not some super secret to gossip about. It is just part of life openly shared with other users and not mentioned in polite company.
which, as I maintain, is not the case in Rutland.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:07 PM

Ask. Unless you are afraid of the answer.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:35 PM

118 posts, read 284,881 times
So a pot culture isn't the case in Rutland but may be in the wealthier residential communities surrounding Rutland which are my reference points? Implausible, but if true even more alarming.

BTW what do you suppose the motive was in the Wal-Mark parking lot killing a few years back?

Old 03-16-2010, 01:49 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,069,117 times
Let's face it, drugs are all over the world, not just VT or the USA.

We can't live in denial that 'drugs are not here' in Vermont when word on the street is IT IS but we will not see it reported for various reasons.

Vermont MUST continue to be promoted as a 'fun vacation spot' and 'family friendly' to bring in revenue and keep people coming.

What I would like, pertinent to the OP's original query (Should they move here?) are the statistics for how many families move here from out of state and how soon they leave and why.

All I know is I have been cured of 'wanting to live rurally' forever.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:04 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,368 times
Drug use is not just a problem in Vermont, it is a problem in many or most states. Also drug sales and production are a huge part of the underbelly in Vermont. The number one cash crop in Vermont is marijuana.
Another point to make is not all drug use leads to people stealing and killing to get drugs. An issue that has not had statistical support in this state, but is a well known fact to anyone that has ever worked in an ER or large trauma center like FAHC, is the number of suicide attempts or successful suicides and/or accidental deaths that occur. Not one of the many self inflicted or accidental deaths has ever been reported in the news in the last year and even furthur back. People have different reactions when they get high. Some feel invincible while others get depressed. Just because someone doesn't kill or attack another person, does not justify it or make the problem better.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:37 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,488,295 times
At least it's primarily marijuana being used here and not meth, yet, like in several states. Marijuana will cause the individual problems, meth will bring about crime, etc., that will severely impact everyone. The meth problem in some Southern states is insane, all kinds of restrictions in some of them on buying common household items...

Old 03-16-2010, 04:07 PM

986 posts, read 2,333,821 times
I find it amusing that people are so crazy about what other people do in their own time. If their use of marijuana is not affecting you or the way they do their job, who cares? At least it's pot and not meth as arctic said. Meth, crack, and some other hard drugs destroy lives and families. Pot does not.

If you bring your children up properly, they won't do drugs. I had friends in high school who smoked pot. I didn't touch the stuff until I was in college. I turned out just fine even though I smoked pot, but I did wait until I was old enough to make an informed decision. When people grow up in lives that are too sheltered or are ignored by their parents, they will do whatever they want without thinking about it. If parents take part in their children's lives, the child will think before they act and not give into peer pressure as easily. I had plenty of opportunity growing up to drink and smoke pot, but I chose my friends wisely and when given the opportunity, I said no. College was a safer place for me to experiment with alcohol and pot because no one was driving. If I got arrested, it was my own damn fault.

Bang! You should know that one of the worst communities for alcohol and drug abuse by high school kids here in RI isn't the inner city, but actually one of the upper class suburbs of Providence.

To the OP, do your own research on the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont