Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 10:21 AM

332 posts, read 1,625,550 times

Advertisements

The other thing that can make truly horrifying screams are opossums. I got woken up by one once and saw the thing walking along screaming like it was getting axe-murdered or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 07:14 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Damn, you sure it wasn't my ex-girlfriend?

Old 06-19-2007, 09:15 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,290 times
Wow ...

What are the chances there would be 2 different threads with "fisher cat" in the title...

(?)

Better than the chances of spotting a Fisher Cat in Burlington I suppose - but perhaps not. Moose wander through occasionally, like an outtake from Northern Exposure...

Old 06-19-2007, 09:54 PM

332 posts, read 1,625,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Does your X have a pointy nose and an ugly hairless tail?

Old 06-19-2007, 10:00 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
And carry her young in a pouch? Does she play dead and emit stench from her anal glands when frightened?

Old 06-20-2007, 12:45 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,499,841 times
There was a spot on TV, I think on CNN, about someone who had a possum for a pet. I don't remember the situation that gave rise to his having one; maybe he rescued babies from a mother who had been killed by a car.

Under normal conditions, I would think it would be cruel to have a possum for a pet. They are solitary and nomadic animals. Also, they are very hard to properly feed, and if they are not fed properly, they can get a debilitating condition, which I think is called metabolic bone disease. There is a vet, I think somewhere in the midwest, who is a possum expert and can give advice and even send food.

Possums are very healthy, very resistant to disease, including rabies, and are rarely aggressive. But try telling that to my next door neighbor, who says he was chased by a possum. He is not a possum lover.

Possums are good animals and they play an important part in the ecosystem. They are your backyard sanitation engineers. They are rude, though. They hiss a lot.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:29 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
And carry her young in a pouch? Does she play dead and emit stench from her anal glands when frightened?

Some Rutland dwelling muffintop WAL*MARTians have these characteristics.
The only way you can tell the difference is to get a whiff of the breath whilst
the creature in question is in the throes of afformentioned screaming.
If you detect alcohol its the human.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:58 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,290 times
.............rotflmao

Old 10-02-2007, 06:39 AM

3 posts, read 8,679 times
fishers do have a high pitched cry, and they will kill or try to kill just about anything they think they have the guts to try.my mom lost 2 horses in one month due to fisher attacking it. my cousin jimmy, lost a cow just last week due to a fisher. back in 2005 i lost my great dane due to a fisher. so like i say they will take down anything trhey think they can.
i've lived in the country my whole life. And the fishers will come right upto your door steps... they are alot likea raccoon and a skunk, they are very curious animals, but if they are hungry, they don't care what you are, what type of animal you are, they will try and take you down.
most of the time when you hear that high pitched screaming, it's more and likey becuase something bigger than they are, has them cornered. my dad has witnessed it before. he was out hunting, and he saw the fisher, and he cornered it, so he could shoot, but because the fisher was cornered it made this real high pitched scream, and my father said he couldn't shoot it cause it was one of the saddest cries ever. so in the end my father didn't end up killing it, he just walked back slowly, and got on th atv and left.
right now at this time of the season, it seems to be a bad time for beers and fishers.
my best advice to you all, who have cats, dogs, farm animals, if you want to keep them, let your animals in after supper time, cause that''s when alot of fisher attacks happen.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:17 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,499,841 times
I keep my cats indoors. Period. But even indoor cats can get out by mistake. Someone I know used a cat sitter when she was away and one cat got out. She never saw the cat again. She believes the cat was lost to a fisher.

I am shocked that a fisher cat can kill a horse or a cow. How can a solitary, small animal take down such a large one?

Do fisher cats attack people? What about children? Do they try to get into your house? I have heard of them grabbing housecats from open windows.

Can fishers be tamed? Can a person make friends with one? No, I don't plan to adopt one. I have 5 cats and I want to keep them. The thought of one (or more) of them being killed by wildlife horrifies me.

I saw Jack Hanna on Larry King Live, and he held a fisher cat in his arms. The animal was squirmy but was obviously safe to handle. I also saw online a picture of a wildlife rehabber holding a fisher cat.

I never even heard of fisher cats until last year, when I made my first serious visit to Brattleboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont