Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 09:36 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,264,752 times

Advertisements

If your cats are indoor cats, then they'll be fine. AND, if you live in Brattleboro proper, the'll be extra safe. The further out in the country you are, then you've got to worry about your outdoor animals. Ours is allowed outside during the day, but at night, he's in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 09:38 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
Is it like a wolverine?

Old 10-03-2007, 03:02 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,884 times
Just because you live in a populated area doesn't mean they won't go there. I live in a large sububan town and we see Fisher cats from time to time. They will go where they can get food. When I lived in Brookfield they were all over the place. They will make a home near where they can get food. I came across a dead deer carcass and some Fishers set up a den near the body. One of our chickens had the unfortunate luck of meeting its maker after a fisher cat got ahold of it(nothing left but a leg and feathers). I was always warned by the local farmers not to go out and try and deal with them, because they can do a lot of damage to a man. I took their advice so I'm not sure what they would do. They are one of the only animals that hunt porcupines. They attack the porcupines face until it eventually dies. I'm sure if they went after a cow or horse they would use their teeth and claws to bring them down and kill them that way. They are in the weasel family and a close cousin of the Wolverine.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
They are in the weasel family and a close cousin of the Wolverine.
Yes, I'd agree DON'T MESS WITH THEM...gulp...A wolverine can take down a bear..

It's the same thing we are seeing with other wildlife (going into populated areas) because they are losing their own hunting grounds (due to people). How many cases have we seen on the news of bears and mountain lions going to populated areas?

I'm scared enough of those bats I saw at twilight (though they delight my husband and son and DO eat bugs).

Old 10-03-2007, 10:05 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,904 times
Hi guys.

High pitched baby cry is more than likely a porcupine.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:09 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,904 times
A fisher cat is probably the only animal in New England that will roll over and eviscerate a porcupine in quick fashion. Very slick critter. Gorgeous pelt!

Old 10-03-2007, 01:00 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,498,478 times
They really are handsome animals. Too bad they are so ferocious.

Are there documented cases of fishers attacking people, including children? I would think that if they can attack a large animal, they can attack a person.

I think I once read of campers who made friends with some fishercats near their campsite. I think the fishers may have actually been fed by hand. Is this possible? In view of the fisher cats' reputation for viciousness, I question this story.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:45 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
They really are handsome animals. Too bad they are so ferocious.

Are there documented cases of fishers attacking people, including children? I would think that if they can attack a large animal, they can attack a person.

I think I once read of campers who made friends with some fishercats near their campsite. I think the fishers may have actually been fed by hand. Is this possible? In view of the fisher cats' reputation for viciousness, I question this story.
Like most animals when it comes to wild food, protecting themselves and/or their young they act very diferent than when they are given handouts.

Those people should have been flogged for feeding them by hand. Next thing you know they are roaming the campground looking for handouts and they see a nice yummy dog tied up to an RV..........

Old 10-04-2007, 01:05 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,884 times
I know they attack and kill dogs and cats and from this article they attack people as well. This one is from New Hampshire. wbztv.com - Fisher Cat Attacks Man In N.H. Town (broken link)

This one was a horse that was attacked
Foster's Online, Dover, New Hampshire

I came across many articles on fisher attacks. I'm shocked at the number of articles I came across. There is also a video clip of a small child being attacked in the face by a fisher cat on youtube.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:44 AM

Now you guys have me walking around paranoid! I was at a small park with my husband and son last night and it was getting dark so I said to them, "I'm waiting in the car!" Visions of fisher cats or skunks attacking me (along with those creepy bats)!

Yeah, I like wild life but sometimes that suburban 'get me away from here!' instinct kicks in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont