Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 06:18 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

I've had a PS3 (and used to have a PS2) for many years now, and I do like the system... but I find it has very few games I like, so basically I just have the Guitar Heroes, Rock Bands & one Grand Theft Auto. Earlier I was at a Game Stop store, and the sales clerk was trying to help me find a new game - I looked over at the Wii wall, and saw TONS of cool stuff! I'm a total dork when it comes to gaming, so the girly ones like Project Runway, Imagine-type games, Press Your Luck, etc, were all speaking to me.

The guy suggested I trade in my PS3, and start over with the Wii system... but I'm not a big fan of their controller, and I'd be losing the Blue-Ray/DVD capabilities (I don't use them a whole lot). Whaddya think? Are there any advantages or disadvantages to the Wii vs PS3? As somebody who likes corny "girl games" & music games, would this be a better system for me? Finally, does $100 in store credit for an older model (80GB) PS3 sound fair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 06:21 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,945,418 times
No. The best thing about the PS3 is honestly the Blu-Ray player. It is a bonus that you can play games. You know you can download a lot of games through their online area that may be more your type of thing. We have a Wii and a PS3 and the games on the PS3 are much better, you just have to try a few out. Don't rule out any category because there are some games that we didn't think we would like and ended up liking them after all.

The Wii is better for group gaming and is affordable enough that you could easily have both and just switch between the two. Sell some of your games through Amazon (they have a marketplace kind of like eBay but better) and you should earn enough money to get a Wii. Just don't wait until Christmas.

A lot of those games on Wii sound fun but don't end up being fun. So, check out the ratings before you try and out or rent the games first. I have a shelf of games that I don't like at all. I need to sell them when I get a chance. They are taking up too much space!

Old 09-16-2010, 08:58 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
No. Don't sell your PS3. If not for the games, you can still use it for the Blu-Ray capacity. Save up your money and buy a Wii straight out. I have all three consoles, myself. The worst is the Wii because the games are only fun when you've got a group of people together.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:23 PM

Thanks for the input! Guess I'll hang on to the PS3 for now, and wait until I can afford to buy a second system (Wii)... I knew those games were too good to be true.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:30 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,091,305 times
Default The grass is always greener

I hate to sound like a broken record but I agree with the previous posts. Don’t sell your PS3 especially since it sounds like you may have a backwards compatible one. You do realize that those are very desirable and generally worth more than a hundred bucks if you sell on Craig’s List?

I love my Wii since I play Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. Brawl along with a few Virtual Console games religiously, but my Xbox 360 actually gets played much more nowadays since good Wii titles are few and far between.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:31 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
No way. The Wii sucks unless you just like to pay kids games. Plus, you normally get pawnshop prices on any game product you sell, so it's rarely worth trading.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
I hate to sound like a broken record but I agree with the previous posts. Don’t sell your PS3 especially since it sounds like you may have a backwards compatible one. You do realize that those are very desirable and generally worth more than a hundred bucks if you sell on Craig’s List?
It's not backwards compatible, as far as I know... might have been wrong on the hard drive size, when I mentioned it earlier. Still seems like the general consensus is to keep the PS3, so I'll take your advice - and maybe get a Wii in addition, whenever I have enough money.

P.S. I do like kids games, LOL... even have a subscription to Big Fish.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:59 AM

3,454 posts, read 3,378,593 times
All the other above posts are right on the money about keeping your PS3, especially if you have an original 'fat' model. The 20GB, 60GB, and 80GB models are the only ones that have PS2 backwards compatibility, and the newer 'slim' models(i.e. 120GB, 160GB, 250GB) only have backwards compatibility with the PS1.

The only way I would likely ever sell mine, is if the PS4 were to come out, and it was confirmed it'd have backwards compatibility for all 3 previous PlayStation systems. But that won't happen for many years, and Sony has designed the PS3 to exist for at least a 10 year cycle. My guess is that it won't be replaced by the PS4, for at least 5 more years. Not to mention, the PS3 will likely hit it's peak in the next few years with newer titles yet to come out.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:30 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Gizmo980, how many USB ports does your PS3 have? If it has 2, then yours has no backwards compatibility.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:16 AM

122 posts, read 207,739 times
If you want play nintedo games,why not buy a ndsl,Portability and nice look!and keep your ps3!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games