Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 04:15 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,572,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampylle View Post
I think I am going to take a wait and see stance.... none of the early titles let alone the launch titles really grab me... and a bunch of remakes of games I already have is hardly reason to get a new handheld for me.

I will wait a year or so to see how the line up shapes up, and to see if they do their usual price cuts or new versions.
Id wait soley for what Sony is going to announce on the 27th. The next PSP has the gaming industry really buzzing, and Sony's timing might be perfect. The 3DS is already showing it limitations from what I have read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Meh. This is definitely not going to be a first-day purchase. Region locking and continued use of Friend Code system (though modified) are the major disappointing factors.
What is this friend code thing you speak about?? How exactly does it harm the system?

Old 01-25-2011, 09:10 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
What is this friend code thing you speak about?? How exactly does it harm the system?
Alright. Here's the basics of the friend code system in regards to the DS and DSi:

1) You buy a game that supports online play.
2) The game will generate its very own 12-digit code
3) You must give this game-specific code to each friend you want to play online with.
4) This friend code will not work with any other games.

Most games allow you save your friends, but it's still a pain to give out a new 12-digit code for each and every single game. With the 360 and PS3/PSP systems, I have a single account username that I provide to friends and it works for pretty much every game that I want to play online with.

Add to that the issue of WiiWare/DSWare not being linked to specific user accounts, it's just not a good setup. On the 360, if my 360 crashes and I have no backups, I can just log into my LIVE account on a new 360 and re-download everything I've purchased. On my PS3 and PSP, if my system(s) or DLC crash, as I've already experienced before (hi Disgaea 2, how are you?), all I have to do is log into my PSN account and re-download my purchased items. It's a pain, but at least I can re-acquire everything that I have purchased.

With the Wii, if it died tomorrow, unless I beg and plead and cry to Nintendo (and send them both consoles), I will lose everything that I have purchased on that console in the nearly four years of owning it (purchased Feb2007). Then again, since finding out about their no-transfer policy, I stopped buying Wii points and getting WiiWare that wasn't free.

So basically, the current Friend Code system means that your purchased games through the WiiWare/DSWare shops are non-transferable and that you will have to generate a new 12-digit code for each individual game that you want to play online.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:07 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times
Quote:
Alright. Here's the basics of the friend code system in regards to the DS and DSi:

3) You must give this game-specific code to each friend you want to play online with.

Most games allow you save your friends, but it's still a pain to give out a new 12-digit code for each and every single game. With the 360 and PS3/PSP systems, I have a single account username that I provide to friends and it works for pretty much every game that I want to play online with.

Add to that the issue of WiiWare/DSWare not being linked to specific user accounts, it's just not a good setup. On the 360, if my 360 crashes and I have no backups, I can just log into my LIVE account on a new 360 and re-download everything I've purchased. On my PS3 and PSP, if my system(s) or DLC crash, as I've already experienced before (hi Disgaea 2, how are you?), all I have to do is log into my PSN account and re-download my purchased items. It's a pain, but at least I can re-acquire everything that I have purchased.

With the Wii, if it died tomorrow, unless I beg and plead and cry to Nintendo (and send them both consoles), I will lose everything that I have purchased on that console in the nearly four years of owning it (purchased Feb2007). Then again, since finding out about their no-transfer policy, I stopped buying Wii points and getting WiiWare that wasn't free.

So basically, the current Friend Code system means that your purchased games through the WiiWare/DSWare shops are non-transferable and that you will have to generate a new 12-digit code for each individual game that you want to play online.
Little addendum, however.

The 3DS will allow transferring of DSware. And the friendcode system has changed to where it's a single friend code that you share and you can save friend's friendcodes.

However, it still makes no sense to use a numbered system instead of just usernames or whatever.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:05 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
Little addendum, however.

The 3DS will allow transferring of DSware. And the friendcode system has changed to where it's a single friend code that you share and you can save friend's friendcodes.

However, it still makes no sense to use a numbered system instead of just usernames or whatever.
Notice how I said in regards to the DS and DSi. When it comes to the 3DS, we can go buy what Nintendo says, but I want to see the new policies in action first.

I will agree that using numbers is just silly.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:13 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times
Quote:
Notice how I said in regards to the DS and DSi. When it comes to the 3DS, we can go buy what Nintendo says, but I want to see the new policies in action first.

I will agree that using numbers is just silly.
For sure. That's why I want to wait a year. All the kinks, complaints, and give it time to get an actual list of games to back it, and a list of games coming out to be excited about.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:10 PM

The Sony Presser for the PSP Veta & The Psp Phone will be at 3pm Tokyo time, 5am US Eastern Time. All info should be viral 30 minutes after the presser. Im sure Nintendo will be watching.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:

I didnt know that Nintendo system was set up that way. Honestly I only did multiplayer on my PSP, like once . It didnt have any of those Hassles. I love Media Go that program really helps to organize my files.

Its seems the only features 3DS is bringing to the table is 3D visuals, Mp3 playback & downloadable movies. PSP already has movies & MP3 Playback. Hopefully Sony can have a better game catalog this time around.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
For sure. That's why I want to wait a year. All the kinks, complaints, and give it time to get an actual list of games to back it, and a list of games coming out to be excited about.
Im in no rush to upgrade my PSP 1000, which actually still works very well. Plus I have a 16GB stick & have only used like 9GB.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:52 PM

195 posts, read 186,506 times
Since my original comment was before i saw confirmation of friend codes usage... and the whole region locked bit was confirmed... I have a bit more to say.

I find the friend code system to be overly complex where there is no need for it to be so, and as such this is a rather large slight even though i do not play many games for online multi-player.

The region lock however is a big turn off for me. I like being able to import games localized to Europe in cases where a NA release does not happen and on occasion like the early hands on via jp imports. The fact that none of these are options short of hacked flash carts.... means this is no where near a launch by and even at the 1 year mark I mentioned before may be a bit more of a wait for me.

The region lock is especially irksome... i like special edition handhelds, NA does not get many... and that means if Japan gets one I like, I can not snag it then play NA release carts... so there will have to be some serious "must have" titles for me to really pick this up now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games