Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:50 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,771,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
No games? It has THE game. The new Mario Land is really good. It is what I bought mine for (plus Ambassador status for the free old school games ). Beyond that, there is a new Mario Kart and ports of Zelda and Star Fox. Come the next 3 months, we will see a new Kid Icarus, Resident Evil, and Tekken plus a port of Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater and Tales of the Abyss. With a new Luigi Mansion, Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, and Kingdom Hearts by EOY (most likely), there is plenty to get excited for the handheld. *Note I expect more announced titles come E3 time.
Yeah, but if u had a choice between the Wii U and 3DS you would chose the Wii U.

The Wii U titles are way more interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 12:28 AM

I just read they are considering making online service for games a charge for the Wii U. I am now re-considering getting the Wii U.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:51 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,180,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Yeah, but if u had a choice between the Wii U and 3DS you would chose the Wii U.

Actually, I would choose my 3DS because it's an aesthetic limited edition. I only bought the thing because the LoZ:OoT edition stood out as a right beauty.

I disliked the Wii for its lack of decent game selection. The Wii U is not even going to remotely on my radar until I see games or a special edition or an unpassable price.

Quote:
No games?
Correct.

No. Games.

For a system that has been out as long as the 3DS, the game selection is pathetic. I find it difficult to be happy for a system that has been out for almost a year and still lacks decent games.

Quote:
It has THE game. The new Mario Land is really good. It is what I bought mine for (plus Ambassador status for the free old school games ). Beyond that, there is a new Mario Kart and ports of Zelda and Star Fox. Come the next 3 months, we will see a new Kid Icarus, Resident Evil, and Tekken plus a port of Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater and Tales of the Abyss. With a new Luigi Mansion, Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, and Kingdom Hearts by EOY (most likely), there is plenty to get excited for the handheld. *Note I expect more announced titles come E3 time.
THE game? The new Mario Land is "meh" at best. Here's my list of games for the 3DS that actually interested me... in alphabetical order. I put a star next to the ones that have yet to be released. Bolded the ports.

Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai*
Kid Icarus*
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance*
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D*
Monster Hunter Tri G*
Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle*
Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney*
Resident Evil: Revelations*
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries (Which, just thought I should mention, Capcom made it impossible to erase save data on this particular game)
Shin Megami Tensei*
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona*
Sonic Generations
Star Fox 64 3D*
Tales of the Abyss*
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

So far of the entire library: 16 games interest me. 12 have yet to be released. 7 are ports plus some extra goodies.

Noting, of course, that I have no problems enjoying the new Mario Land or Mario Kart, but a game needs to be more than short term amusement for me to consider it a game I would drop more than $10 on. So when I say "this game interests me", it's more than "this game looks fun" - it's more like "this game looks like it would actually entertain me for more than a few hours before the novelty wore off".

Noting, of course, that the Vita is slated to be released next month. It's "interest to me" game list is pretty similar in numbers to the list for the 3DS with one minor exception. Most of them aren't slated to be released >1year after the system's release.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:23 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,455,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post

No way. WiiU would collect dust just like my Wii does. I haven't played it since I finished Super Paper Mario around it's release date. I don't plan to get one at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio
For a system that has been out as long as the 3DS, the game selection is pathetic. I find it difficult to be happy for a system that has been out for almost a year and still lacks decent games.
You first have to remember that until the annoucement of the price drop most 3rd party companies were scared off by lack of units purchased. Since the drop, more and more have come back thus titles like Resident Evil and Tekken. To date, there have been more first party titles than most other Nintendo systems (at this point in life cycle). When you compared to other launches of handhelds, it is about the same i.e. 4 high profile games (Zelda, Star Fox, Mario Land, Mario Kart) with a lot of 3rd party good (Pushimo, Ghost Recon, Sonic, Lego) to crap games. As I mentioned, the horizon looks good with the shows coming up that more titles should be announced/released.

Remember first and foremost this is a handheld so 16 titles sounds like alot for a year and half of it's life, especially when you excluded some classic Nintendo franchise in your list that will do just fine with nice reviews.

Quote:
THE game? The new Mario Land is "meh" at best.
IGN - 9.5/10
Game Informer - 9.5/10
Joystiq - 4.5/5
Overall, 90 on Metacritic

Far from "meh"... I guess you just don't like good platformers.

Quote:
Noting, of course, that the Vita is slated to be released next month. It's "interest to me" game list is pretty similar in numbers to the list for the 3DS with one minor exception. Most of them aren't slated to be released >1year after the system's release.
Vita is too pricey for a handheld. $249 (WiFi) + $60 (16GB mem card) + $50 (Uncharted) = $360. Though, I don't see how you could find anywhere close to 16 games for it...

Old 01-11-2012, 01:15 PM

The titles I care about for the 3DS are....

Paper Mario 3D
Super Smash Bros. 3D
Luigi's Mansion 2
Heroes of Ruin (dungeon crawler for the 3DS was a super smart move)
Monster Hunter 4
Kid Icarus: Uprising

And the best part is online services are free on the 3DS except they are going to charge us for DLC. Which I think is better than charging for online because DLC is optional.

The number one game for me on the 3DS though is Heroes of Ruin where as the LoZ games on the console are the draws for me.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:59 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,180,203 times
Quote:
No way. WiiU would collect dust just like my Wii does. I haven't played it since I finished Super Paper Mario around it's release date. I don't plan to get one at all.
Same with my Wii. It just sits there sans use for months on end.

Quote:
You first have to remember that until the annoucement of the price drop most 3rd party companies were scared off by lack of units purchased. Since the drop, more and more have come back thus titles like Resident Evil and Tekken. To date, there have been more first party titles than most other Nintendo systems (at this point in life cycle).
Both Revelations and The Mercenaries were announced before the price drop.

Tekken was announced at E3 last year, a month in advance of the price drop.

Quote:
When you compared to other launches of handhelds, it is about the same i.e. 4 high profile games (Zelda, Star Fox, Mario Land, Mario Kart) with a lot of 3rd party good (Pushimo, Ghost Recon, Sonic, Lego) to crap games. As I mentioned, the horizon looks good with the shows coming up that more titles should be announced/released.
I find it a bit deceptive that you mention the "launch of handhelds" and mention the Big 4. Last I checked, neither Zelda, Star Fox, Mario Land, nor Mario Kart was released within the 3DS launch window. You're comparing the Vita's launch (remember, this thing has been out less than a month) against a handheld that has been out for over a year.

We should have already passed the horizon of "GAMES ARE COMING!" They should already be here. And if developers weren't ready and games weren't done, Nintendo should have held back the system's release and continued with the DSi/XL. Without games enough to support a game console, you end up with a failed, or failing, game console. The PS3 was like that at one point - hence the meme of PS3 HAS NO GAMES. 3DS is the same way.

Now, I do hope that more games come out for this thing so that it doesn't fail out completely. The system has crazy potential... it just needs games.

Quote:
Remember first and foremost this is a handheld so 16 titles sounds like alot for a year and half of it's life
The 3DS is 11 months old. The Vita is one month old. My list of games for the Vita is longer than the 3DS. Albeit, the 3DS list might expand a bit once more information on a couple of titles is released - particularly on hit-or-miss franchises. Either way, it only reinforces that Nintendo should have waited.

Quote:
especially when you excluded some classic Nintendo franchise in your list that will do just fine with nice reviews.
Of course I excluded some "classic nintendo franchise" from my list. They don't interest me because they're boring. Give me Kaizo Mario World (and other romhacks based off of Super Mario World) anyday over this new Mario crapola.

Quote:
IGN - 9.5/10
Game Informer - 9.5/10
Joystiq - 4.5/5
Overall, 90 on Metacritic
> Implying I should care about people who get paid to make reviews.

There have been games that get scored like crap that I love; there have been games that get scored insanely high that I found to be overhyped crap.

Quote:
Far from "meh"... I guess you just don't like good platformers.
Everyone has different tastes. To me, a good platformer would be like Sonic Generations, LBP, and Metroidvania style games.

I love me some Castlevania.

Soma Cruz > Mario

Quote:
Vita is too pricey for a handheld. $249 (WiFi) + $60 (16GB mem card) + $50 (Uncharted) = $360.
I'd rather pay $360 for a handheld that I'll use, than the $170 I payed for the Zelda 3DS that will get minor use. Noting, of course, that I paid somewhere around $300 or so for my PSP (Star Ocean Limited Edition release) and feel that it was a darn good investment. I've put countless hours into it over the years.

Quote:
Though, I don't see how you could find anywhere close to 16 games for it...
I accept your challenge, good sir.

Bold are ports
Italics are release date games
Starred means future release

Bioshock*
Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock*
Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention*
Dungeon Hunter: Alliance
Final Fantasy X* (Mainly curiosity)
Hideo Kojima's secret project* (That man is a god)
LittleBigPlanet*
Lord of Apocalypse*
Malicious*
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection*
Persona 4: The Golden*
Ragnarok Odyssey*
Shin Megami Tensei* (Currently no name, so not sure if port or new)
Shinobido 2: Tales of the Ninja
Super Stardust Delta
Tales of Innocence R*
Touch My Katamari
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Ys IV*
Zone of the Enders HD Collection*

So a handheld that has been out for less than a month at this point... already has more games that interest me. Then factor in that when released, the Vita will have more released games that interest me over released games for the 3DS - the only one on my list that will be released by Vita release day is RE: Revelations.

If you can't tell by the list of games here that interest me, I have tendency to prefer handheld games that provide a console-like experience when I'm on the go. Considering that the Vita is going to be a miniature PS3, it's no wonder I'm going to prefer it over the 3DS.

As for the OP, if he's not using his 3DS, then he should sell it. He'll get the most money for it on eBay or CraigsList.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 01-11-2012 at 02:19 PM..

Old 01-11-2012, 04:30 PM

I still like my 3DS and play it, but if the Wii U has online charges then I won't buy it and won't sell my 3DS.

Last edited by the city; 01-11-2012 at 04:51 PM..

Old 01-11-2012, 06:52 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,455,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Both Revelations and The Mercenaries were announced before the price drop.

Tekken was announced at E3 last year, a month in advance of the price drop.
Fair Enough... But where is Agent??? Games get announced but it doesn't mean they are getting completed. Third Parties pretty much threaten to drop what they were doing unless a drop was done in order to sell units.

Selling they are doing... 795,000 in Nov (NPD). Sales for it beat out the original DS by 1 year mark.

Quote:
I find it a bit deceptive that you mention the "launch of handhelds" and mention the Big 4. Last I checked, neither Zelda, Star Fox, Mario Land, nor Mario Kart was released within the 3DS launch window. You're comparing the Vita's launch (remember, this thing has been out less than a month) against a handheld that has been out for over a year.
Fair Enough. At launch, there were too fairly good launch titles Pilotwings and Ghost Recon. Sure a Uncharted title would beat both but it also is $10 more and probably wont be found for 19.99 or less a couple weeks after launch either...

Quote:
We should have already passed the horizon of "GAMES ARE COMING!" They should already be here. And if developers weren't ready and games weren't done,Nintendo should have held back the system's release and continued with the DSi/XL. Without games enough to support a game console, you end up with a failed, or failing, game console. The PS3 was like that at one point - hence the meme of PS3 HAS NO GAMES. 3DS is the same way.

Now, I do hope that more games come out for this thing so that it doesn't fail out completely. The system has crazy potential... it just needs games.
Games are there (around 90 in NA) whether they meet your taste or not.

Quote:
I'd rather pay $360 for a handheld that I'll use, than the $170 I payed for the Zelda 3DS that will get minor use. Noting, of course, that I paid somewhere around $300 or so for my PSP (Star Ocean Limited Edition release) and feel that it was a darn good investment. I've put countless hours into it over the years.
I got my PSP at release and what a waste that was. My DS saw way more usage that piece of junk (and no I don't pirate).

Let's peak into the past week in Japan...
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/331870/japan-3ds-dominates-sales-vita-slips-to-5th-place/

Old 01-11-2012, 07:15 PM

Anyone played FE: Sacred Stones?

I got it on the 3DS and the game is way harder than the first Fire Emblem and Eirika's story is way harder for me than Ephraim's story.

There are so many things to be careful and so much to remember. I am definitely not a Fire Emblem fan.

I need to train my guys more because its getting ridiculous. All though I think being at lvl 15 for all my characters by chpt 15 is pretty good.

Do I get a chance to lvl L'Arachael and characters to 16 at Tower of Valni after this chapter?

Anyways I decided to stick with my 3DS because of these games:

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Super Mario 3D Land
Mario Kart 7
Heroes of Ruin
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Luigi's Mansion 2
Paper Mario 3D
Monster Hunter 4
Super Mario Sunshine port
Super Smash Bros. Brawl 3D

Other good games for the 3DS are Resident Evil: Revelations, Metal Gear Solid 4 3D, and some people like Fire Emblem, so Fire Emblem: Awaken. Also there is an Animal Crossing some out on the 3DS.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:12 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,052,074 times
Quote:

Fair Enough. At launch, there were too fairly good launch titles Pilotwings and Ghost Recon.
Neither being decent, mind you.

Quote:
Sure a Uncharted title would beat both but it also is $10 more and probably wont be found for 19.99 or less a couple weeks after launch either...
And? If the game is good, I don't care about the price.

Quote:
Games are there (around 90 in NA)
Which the fact that only about 4 out of 90 that I actually want? Freaking sad for a platform that's been out for a year.

Quote:
I got my PSP at release and what a waste that was.
And I consider the PSP to be the best handheld to ever be released.

Because more sales=more quality, amirite?

Oh wait, the Wii vastly disproves that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games