Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 06:21 AM

132 posts, read 120,851 times

Advertisements

Hi to all

I grew up with Atari, NES and SNES, but the games I played were only Action-Adventure, didn't even touch Zelda nor any RPGs, didn't care about them, "fighting with enemies by reading menus and taking turns??, huh?, Lol, where's Super Contra??".
But, I enjoyed Super Metroid a lot on the long run, I know is not RPG but I think I was able to enjoy and appreciate the experience, the story, drama, danger, the MUSIC wow!, exploration, etc.

So, 25 years later of no gaming(I stopped at SNES, I don't know any other system, not even N64), I miss the video games of my youth, which brought my attention to RPGs and such, so I bought again a SNES with several games that I didn't play nor even knew about, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy 3(VI)), Zelda A Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger, this one I had a music youtube playlist I liked a lot and years later I found it was the music from a game called Chrono Trigger.

What would be your recommendation for someone who has never played RPGs and wants to have a great time getting into a story.?
Recommendations in the sense of my approach, as in, what to expect or not to expect, how to put myself to enjoy the game, etc.

Of the 4 games I mentioned or maybe others I didn't mention, which one should I try?

By the way, also, if anyone knows another game like Super Metroid please let me know so I can check it out.

Last edited by giorgiomax; 02-09-2014 at 06:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 08:04 AM

3,531 posts, read 3,735,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgiomax View Post
Hi to all

I grew up with Atari, NES and SNES, but the games I played were only Action-Adventure, didn't even touch Zelda nor any RPGs, didn't care about them, "fighting with enemies by reading menus and taking turns??, huh?, Lol, where's Super Contra??".
But, I enjoyed Super Metroid a lot on the long run, I know is not RPG but I think I was able to enjoy and appreciate the experience, the story, drama, danger, the MUSIC wow!, exploration, etc.

So, 25 years later of no gaming(I stopped at SNES, I don't know any other system, not even N64), I miss the video games of my youth, which brought my attention to RPGs and such, so I bought again a SNES with several games that I didn't play nor even knew about, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy 3(VI)), Zelda A Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger, this one I had a music youtube playlist I liked a lot and years later I found it was the music from a game called Chrono Trigger.

What would be your recommendation for someone who has never played RPGs and wants to have a great time getting into a story.?
Recommendations in the sense of my approach, as in, what to expect or not to expect, how to put myself to enjoy the game, etc.

Of the 4 games I mentioned or maybe others I didn't mention, which one should I try?

By the way, also, if anyone knows another game like Super Metroid please let me know so I can check it out.
This is awesome. SNES is the best. Honestly, if you're going to start with RPGs, I would recommend you start with the best and most complex of them all: Final Fantasy III (VI).

Final Fantasy III:
Best music, best graphics, best battle system, incredible story, and did I say best music yet . I'm biased, though. Before I played Final Fantasy III, I kind of just played whatever without thinking much about it, but once I played this game, I went to RPGs almost exclusively from that point forward. At that age, this game was mind-blowing. The story is engrossing and covers fairly adult themes for a SNES game, such as love and tragedy, death, evil/corruption, good, inner character struggles...all of it. The battle system of Final Fantasy III is also my favorite. Tons of open exploration in this game. Final Fantasy III is the Gold Standard of the SNES.

Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals:
This is my next best. Good battle system, good graphics, decent music, fun to play.

Secret of Mana and Zelda: A Link to the Past should work if you'd be more inclined to go with an action-adventure experience instead of a more menu-based game.

Chrono Trigger: This is a top contender that many people credit as a SNES best. Some even put this above Final Fantasy III. I didn't play this one much, so someone else may be able to give you a better idea of this game.

Breath of Fire I & II: Breath of Fire II is the better one. This game focuses a lot on the battle system.

Brainlord:
I like this one a lot. It's a cross between an RPG and a Zelda-like side-scroller. Interesting and challenging puzzles, decent music.

Soulblazer is another one.

I'm sure there a few I haven't mentioned.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:30 AM

947 posts, read 1,465,195 times
Zelda is not an rpg. It's an action adventure series with some rpg elements.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:58 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,920,061 times
Get a DS and buy FFV and FFVI advance

Old 02-10-2014, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Get a DS and buy FFV and FFVI advance
DS as in Nintendo DS?
But that's a portable, aren't image quality, size and good sound a great part of the experience?, why would I want it in a tiny screen, I don't get it.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:59 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,158,423 times
If you have a decent quad core computer; get Skyrim. It is selling for half of it's original cost or less. It is a large world and will keep you busy for a very long time. The characters are fairly life-like and you can tweak the appearance to look somewhat like your alter ego.

If you do go that route on the PC; you will download "Steam". Steam has a very large selection of RPG games and they feature weekend and mid-week sales. You can read through some of the threads on Steam and Skyrim.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:08 PM

688 posts, read 897,743 times
All I can do is agree with budgetlord.

Final Fantasy III (VI) is the cream of the RPG crop for SNES. If you had to pick one, this is the one you want to pick.

Both Lufia I and II are good. As are Breath of Fire I and II. Chrono Trigger is fantastic and I would probably try that after FF3. Final Fantasy II (IV) is also good and pretty much pioneered how SNES RPGs were handled. Though overall not as good as FF3, IMO, I think FF2 had the best soundtrack of all Final Fantasies, if not of any RPG ever made.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:08 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,735,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgiomax View Post
In trying to think of games like Super Metroid, the only answer I can come up with is that there is only one Super Metroid. It's basically its own genre. Others that may be somewhat similar in scope/feel would be the following:
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Megaman X
  • Megaman X2
Other good RPGs I didn't mention in my previous post:
  • Super Mario RPG. It's menu-based but simplified, and for a Mario game, it is content-rich with lots of exploration, story and sidequests.
  • Illusion of Gaia. It's an action RPG.
Other RPGs I know of but didn't play:
  • Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest
  • Earthbound
  • Secret of Evermore
Whichever way you go, good luck with the nostalgia feels.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:54 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times
You should be able to get Final Fantasy VI for the SNES also. That was a great game and probably one of the best Final Fantasy created.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
You should be able to get Final Fantasy VI for the SNES also. That was a great game and probably one of the best Final Fantasy created.
Yes, I have it, complete
So yesterday I decided to try an RPG for the first time and chose Final Fantasy 3(SNES), I turned off the lights, put the game on, and let the intro roll, so far so good, then I started to "play" ...and, some enemy walked upon us and attacked us, a fighting screen came out and... I didn't know what the heck I was doing, we beat'im, then 3 more steps and another fighting screen, another 3 steps and another fighting screen, and another, and another ...honestly, it was boring and annoying.

So I left it there, is obvious that I don't know what the heck is going on with an RPG, so because I want to like this game, I want a story, experience, music, atmosphere, etc. I'm gonna start by reading the manual, some basic guides or intros to either the genre or specificially to FFIII, problem is that what I've found so far are like walkthroughs and secrets and etc. I don't want the game to be spoiled to me, I want to discover it myself, so I'll keep looking for a good intro or presentation guide.

Last edited by giorgiomax; 02-11-2014 at 03:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games