Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2007, 08:41 PM

9 posts, read 43,123 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to VA in August. I'll be working in Crystal City and my husband will be working at Bolling. We are looking for a single family home ($500 - $800) range, 4 bedroom, yr 2000 or greater. We've never had to deal with big commutes (longest 25 minutes). But from reading some postings it looks like that just will not happen. Really trying to see what would be the best central point to live in for both of our travel. #1 priority is being in a good area (socially and school) for my kids 11 and 8. Is there a place out there in VA you'd recommend that would meet our needs stated?

Catch2247
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 07:54 AM

261 posts, read 1,666,659 times
For the 500-800k range I'd check out Arlington (specifically around the East Falls Church Metro), but I'm not sure how many homes in Arlington are less than 15 years old (and aren't 1 million plus). Other options include Springfield or Annandale for access to 395 or Falls Church for access to the Metro. Vienna would be nice too but again the affordable houses are generally older.

If you do insist on a newer SFH you're looking at the outer suburbs (45 min or more commute), mainly because that's where all the construction has been in the past 20 years. Most of the closer-in construction has been luxury housing or Condos/townhomes.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:13 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
jb124 has hit the nail on the head.

Yes your housing prices are right on with the community you want...McLean, North Arlington, Falls church etc... But finding a home that is under 7 years old is a kicker. most Arlington is 1950-1960 ear housing. The area just outside the loop had a major growth in the 1970's (McLean boomed with new houses as people moved out to the "suburbs") The "new" hosing in those close in areas are very expensive because 5 years ago the land and the old 1960 bunalow it sat on was $500k so after the "tear down" the big "new modern house" was built and thus the price is easily 800+.

So if you want "new" and close you might consider a TH. or go for old and charming and close.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:46 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
You may want to check out Alexandria City. i don't think 500-800k will buy you anything new but it will probably get you something nice but realtively young in the seminary valley or braddock heights neighborhood. the schools are really good and your husband will have as good of a commute crossing that WW bridge as you can get coming from VA, also has metro accessibility. Since your husband is going to bolling i recommend staying inside the beltway to avoid massive commute headaches.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:57 AM

414 posts, read 2,280,177 times
Most of the homes in Arlington, Falls Church, Ballston, Rossyln etc...are more mature homes that were built in the '50, '60, '70...but you can purchase a large new(er) townhouse in those areas for you price range though. Your price range will open many nice housing options for you.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Yac; 06-23-2007 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: link removed, eraltor ad not allowed

Old 06-23-2007, 09:59 AM

Default Whats the beltway area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
You may want to check out Alexandria City. i don't think 500-800k will buy you anything new but it will probably get you something nice but realtively young in the seminary valley or braddock heights neighborhood. the schools are really good and your husband will have as good of a commute crossing that WW bridge as you can get coming from VA, also has metro accessibility. Since your husband is going to bolling i recommend staying inside the beltway to avoid massive commute headaches.
Thanks Alanboy395,

When you say you recommend staying inside the beltway...whats the beltway and what area fall within that? And does anyone know how long that commute is coming over the bridge from Alexandria (on average)?

Catch2247

Old 06-23-2007, 10:27 AM

261 posts, read 1,666,659 times
The Beltway is the ring formed by I-95 and I-495 around Washington DC. It includes all of Arlington County, Falls Church City, Alexandria City, and a little of Fairfax County on the Virginia side. Generally speaking it is an area of older neighborhoods and the property values are high. Accessibility is good though.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:08 AM

Thank you all for your replies,

It's really helped us narrow down our search in the area. To get close it looks like we will have to widen our years on the houses. I want to stay away from a townhouse, unless we rent one for awhile. We hope to stay in this area for a little while (4 - 8 years) so it's really important for us to get our boys in a really good school system.

In reading your emails you mention specific areas in Arlington. Do you have any specific areas in Alexandria that would be good. I'm told there are some bad areas in Alexandria you'll want to try and stay away from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia