Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocation from Pennsylvania to Roanoke, Virginia, daycare prices in area, New River Valley cheaper than Roanoke with no crime and good schools, Christiansburg safety, Blacksburg rent higher

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 08:49 AM

32 posts, read 119,421 times

Advertisements

Hi! I've spent three days reading just about every post on here to research moving to Virginia. Wow, but you all are sooo helpful to everyone! After researching the postings here, I'm thinking that the Roanok area is where we want to be. Please forgive some of the personal and sensitive information I'm going to reveal, but I want to make sure I give all pertinent information so hopefully some of you can help me.

I'm currently living in Pennsylvania, just outside Philadelphia, with my husband and 2 boys aged 8 and 12. I was laid off in April 2005. The job market up here is so fierce I've been unable to find any work except minimum wage. We were forced to file bankruptcy, so our credit is shot. My husband has worked for the same company for 17 years, but it has already been heavily implied that my husband will be receiving his pink slip soon. Cost of living is atrociously high, and we simply can not afford to stay here. In essence, we're being forced to start over. My husband is putting his notice in at work and begins CDL truck driving school on July 30th. He chose the profession because it will give us the freedom to move just about anywhere in the country and still retain his job. We have been wanting to move for years, and there has never been a better time that screams DO IT NOW!

We're currently living in a tiny row home in the middle of a row home development with a postage stamp sized front yard 10 minutes away from a filthy city. Traffic is horrid and it literally takes 20 minutes to drive 2 miles. I'm claustrophobic and I can't breath! With my husband 401k payout, and the sale of our home, we'll have a nest egg of around $40,000. Due to our recent bankruptcy, we're willing to pay a full year's rent up front, if need be. However, we have 2 small dogs (pugs) and 2 cats, and are desperate to find a landlord that will allow us to keep them!

We love the outdoors, mountains, woods, lakes, fishing, hiking, etc... We're looking to rent a 3 bedroom SFH, with a small amount of grass all the way around it in a family neighborhood. I'm not picky. We're good quiet respectful people. I don't need a huge plot of land. I just don't want to hear my neighbors moving around next door through my walls! I'd like my kids to have friends nearby. I don't want to have to pay more than $900.00 a month. My husband will be gone for a week at a time, so I'm looking for a decently populated area that has a low crime rate. I don't mind traveling a bit for shopping or activities. Any suggestions for family neighborhood that might fit what I'm looking for would be wonderful!

Due to our nest egg, I'm in a position to wait until we move to find a local job. With my husband gone so much, I'd need a job with hours during daycare availability. I've been an Inventory Control Manager for a warehouse, customer service, waitress, etc... I've got excellent references, motivated, willing to learn anything, and I'm not afraid of hard work. Are there jobs around there for people like me?

My boys are entering 3rd and 6th grade. My youngest has ADHD. Are the schools there willing to work with parents? Also, my oldest son may not need daycare, but my youngest child most assuredly will. I was paying $195 a week for before / after school 2 years ago. Are prices there comparable?

I've researched a lot of area's that were mentioned in previous posts. There's a lot of places I know we can't afford, so I'm hoping you all may have some specific suggestions on where to look for decent housing in my price range. I'm planning to visit the area in about a month and want to make arrangements ahead of time. We're just looking for a nice place to rebuild our lives and let my children have the childhood they deserve.

Any and all suggestions and comments are appreciated. Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 03:43 PM

106 posts, read 471,943 times
I was thinking you may want to look into the New River Valley Area, which is basically Blacksburg and Christiansburg, its a little cheaper than Roanoke and has some virtually no crime and excellent schools. I've seen small houses rent about at the price range you are looking at there. Its not the greatest area for jobs and pay is somewhat low but you can probably find something if you have a little while to look around. Roanoke is a little more urban, but still nothing like Philadelphia, it ahs a little better job market but prices are a little more and for price range you are looking at you may end up in a so so neighborhood, but once again it could maybe not even compare to what you find in Philadelphia.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:05 PM

Thanks! I've looked into these areas a bit online already and they're on my HIGH possibility list. I'm going to be traveling down there with my two boys for a week to get their input as well, and having a semi-planned itinerary is vital.

I truly appreciate the help! Thanks so much!!

Old 07-15-2007, 01:00 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,571 times
Christiansburg is a good safe bet. Blacksburg rent will be higher due to Virginia Tech. There are going to be alot more trucking/inventory jobs in the Roanoke area though due to it's proximity to the Norfolk Southern Roanoke shops and the upcoming intermodal rail yard. For the most affordable rents the closest possible to northern Roanoke I'd look into Craig County and the Catawba area.

Sean

Old 07-15-2007, 10:49 PM

415 posts, read 1,960,975 times
Don't discount Radford, Pulaski, or Floyd either. I lived in Radford while working EMS in the area, and got to see the entire NRV, and I always though Radford was the nicest "small town" down there. (Christiansburg and Blacksburg sort of run together, and there's a lot of people during VT's fall and spring semesters)

Old 07-16-2007, 07:04 AM

I just realized my spell check keeps removing the e off of Roanoke. How embarrassing!

The hardest part of researching where to live is finding intangible information that's never included on county / town websites. For instance, I can make my own hometown sound like THE place to be on a web page. But what visitors wouldn't know is how people are leaving in droves, crime is high, jobs are scarce, neighborhoods are over populated and highly segregated, property values and taxes are over inflated, traffic is a nightmare, etc...

I've read so much about the counties surrounding Roanoke I feel like I've been there already! I truly appreciate all the information you've given me. It's tremendously helpful as I plan my trip down there to know which areas to focus my time in and which to avoid.

I have a feeling my family will adore Roanoke and it's surrounding areas, and I can't wait to visit!

Old 07-16-2007, 08:59 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,889,780 times
I really wish you luck! You sound like someone who really deserves a break.
From your post I suggest a town called Buchanan. Its in Botetourt County, about 20 miles north of Roanoke. You sound like a family that I know who lives there. Housing prices are lower in the town and it has a lot of friendly people. Everyone there likes the outdoors, especially fishing/hunting/camping. It is right next to the Blue Ridge Pkwy and beautiful views everywhere. Its a great place for kids. When I visit my friends there, they never lock their doors at night and you can often see deer in your backyard. It is still in the country but eventually the sprawl from Roanoke will get there, but not for some time. It is often an overlooked town in our area, it just doesn't have that "upscale" charm that realtors look for. If you visit there, go to the soda fountain drug store and talk to the owners(who moved there from NYC). Its also next to Natural Bridge and a place called the "Pink Cadillac" of Elvis fame.
Good luck!

Old 07-22-2007, 04:46 PM

3 posts, read 5,725 times
Just a quick note...My family and I lost everything due to the economy in a neighboring state. Roanoke VA has been great with good people and great things for our family. South of Roanoke is very nice, but as has been suggested, it can be a little expensive.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:30 PM

14 posts, read 65,959 times
I have a house in Christiansburg, and would welcome pets. My son, who has autism, did well at Christiansburg Primary school. I really like the area, and don't want to part with my house there, though I can't live in it right now due to my job. The house needs some repairs, but it has 3 bedrooms, a large family room, eat-in kitchen, 1.5 bathrooms, spacious back deck with included gas grill for now, and a fenced back yard. The neighborhood is pretty quiet, with mostly older residents, but there are some children nearby.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:10 PM

After a month of research, I feel confident now that the counties surrounding Roanoke are where we want to be! Thanks to your suggestions, we've been able to target specific towns in various counties, and my husband and I are planning quite a few road trips in the coming weeks.

It seems out biggest hurdle will be finding a home that's willing to take on pets. They are out there, but it's a challenging search. I'm confident we'll find what we're looking for eventually. Where there's a will, there's a way, right?

I'm so grateful that you all were kind enough to respond to my requests. If you can think of any further suggestions or tips for finding a rental home, please feel free to pass it on! In either case, thanks to all who have helped us! You've all been a tremendous help!

We're very excited to know that soon we'll be calling Virginia home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia