Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,882 times

Advertisements

So I'm trying to renew the state inspection on my 1977 Camaro. The previous owner had no problems in the past with the state inspections he had gotten. Today i went in to get it renewed. The mechanic told me he wouldn't pass it because it "Didn't start fast enough." He tole me it hard to start with just a few cranks of the engine. The car is Carburated and it's impossible for it to start right off the bat, it has to fill with gasoline first.

So what am i supposed to do now? Try a different shop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 02:49 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,658,207 times
You might be able to get collector plates that last forever and don't require an inspection. Look into it. I think cars over 25 years old are eligible.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 5,882 times
I've thought about that but you can only drive it on the weekends with classic plates. Plus the previous owner never had this problem and he had standard plates as well.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,934 times
Try another shop. I don't know which part of the state you're in, but where I live some mechanics can be very lenient when it comes to certain rules (one even told me "we never fail anyone", but he may have been exaggerating...)

Old 07-20-2010, 06:27 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessedl2 View Post
I've thought about that but you can only drive it on the weekends with classic plates. Plus the previous owner never had this problem and he had standard plates as well.
I don't think you are limited to weekends. We have antique plates and there are rules such as it can't be a daily driver and you have to stay within a 250 mile radius of your home, but they don't limit us to weekend driving.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:31 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Vintage or Antique plates can be used if the car is more than 25 years old:

Registering your vehicle either of these ways limits your use of the vehicle to:
  • Participation in antique car club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar events.
  • Testing its operation, obtaining repairs or maintenance, selling the vehicle or trailer, transportation to and from events as described in number 1 above and for the occasional pleasure driving not to exceed 250 miles from your residence.
  • Carrying or transporting passengers, personal effects or other antique motor vehicles being transported for show purposes.
You may not use your vehicle for general, daily transportation. This includes, but is not limited to, driving to and from work.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:42 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
You could try a different shop.

Any time I've had a car fail, the mechanic gave me a better reason with mechanical explanation than just something so vague as "car doesn't start fast enough." In fact, I had no idea that start-up time was an inspected item.

You don't explain if the car has difficulty starting. Cars with carbs should be able to fire up pretty quickly with a pump or two of the pedal. Does your car sputter, or crank a lot, before the engine starts, or cut out a few times after starting?

Old 07-21-2010, 11:05 AM

542 posts, read 991,943 times
A safety inspection is just that. What does the engine starting slowly have anything to do with safety? Or pollution? What a whack job! The guy inspecting your car obviously doesn't know much about cars since as stated already carburated cars take longer to start, especially if they are cold or not adjusted right. To some, these inspection places is just a job. I'd find one where they actually care about cars and know what they are doing. Or maybe you just need a new starter, which if you know anything about cars shouldn't be that difficult of a job. A dying battery might also have the effect of a car starting slowly. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia