Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 09:15 AM

2 posts, read 26,876 times

Advertisements

I have a question about VA State Inspections.

If you fail a Virginia State Inspection at one Inspection station, are you required to take it to the same Inspection station once you have made the necessary repairs in order for it to pass?

I ask because I have recently been improperly rejected (an issue which I am already taking legal action about) but I was also mistreated by the service persons at this particular Inspection station as I exposed them for illegally rejecting my vehicle. I am a single female and really would like to avoid going back to the same station where I have already been mistreated before. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

OneVALady
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 12:53 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,568,469 times
You can take it anywhere you please. You will have to pay the full 16 bucks for another complete inspection, though. If it fails, you have 15 days to get repairs completed, and return for a re-inspection of what failed for one dollar. If you can prove that these guys tried to pull a fast one on you, contact the state police safety division right away. A trooper jumping up and down on their chests will be much more effective than a lawyer. Let me know if you need a phone number or contact person.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:24 PM

1,722 posts, read 3,748,242 times
When I lived in Virginia, I thought state inspections were just another way of the state getting my money. But since living in Florida and not having to worry about state inspections, I wish they would reinstate it here. Some of the cars on the road are scary!

Old 08-16-2007, 07:34 PM

32 posts, read 119,395 times
Electron, did you just say $16.00 for a complete Vehicle Inspection? Is that state wide?

My husband and I each pay $90.00 every year to have our vehicles inspected here in Pennsylvania.

Wow. I can't wait to move to Roanoke!

Old 08-17-2007, 08:02 AM

13 posts, read 134,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNative View Post
When I lived in Virginia, I thought state inspections were just another way of the state getting my money. But since living in Florida and not having to worry about state inspections, I wish they would reinstate it here. Some of the cars on the road are scary!
SAME HERE! Except I was in OH and MD. I wish I had a nickel for every 'thermal event' I saw on the side of the road there!

Old 08-17-2007, 08:04 AM

13 posts, read 134,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmorgan View Post
Electron, did you just say $16.00 for a complete Vehicle Inspection? Is that state wide?

My husband and I each pay $90.00 every year to have our vehicles inspected here in Pennsylvania.

Wow. I can't wait to move to Roanoke!
It might be more in parts of VA that require emissions testing. We don't have that in the Noke. Yes, the $16 is statewide.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:09 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,568,469 times
The emissions inspection is another beast entirely, and last I checked, that was 80 bucks. Thankfully it is not statewide. But yes, 16 dollars for an annual safety inspection.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:14 PM

261 posts, read 1,666,659 times
I think it's like 25-35 for the emissions. I had both safety and emissions done a few months back and I think the total was $44 or $54.

And the re-inspection is free, or was for me, after I replaced the broken emissions part.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:39 PM

42 posts, read 280,769 times
Emissions is $28.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:32 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
I get all my inspections for free from the dealership.. for life. And if anything fails, they replace/fix it for free because the vehicle is under warranty for another... 8 years now.

But, my father's vehicle recently failed an inspection because of a crack in his muffler. I sneakily put muffler tape on it (yah, it's legal for the inspection) and he passed no problem.

How did these guys pull a fast one on you? Also, where did it happen? (I'll make sure to not allow friends/family to go there)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia