Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 07:45 PM

429 posts, read 1,865,172 times

Advertisements

http://www.courts.state.va.us/publications/hb_3202.pdf (broken link)
As if VA laws weren't absurd already, this clearly proves the altertnative motive.

I'm wondering is reckless driving still have discreation, 22 over but the Cop says 19, or does it have no discretion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 08:50 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,686,547 times
I'm very happy about the new laws. Just drive safely and you won't have any problems.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:09 PM

267 posts, read 1,675,189 times
The new laws are specifically aimed at repeat offenders and those actually convicted of the offenses. It's all about safety.

I don't understand your question tberg. How about rewriting it in a complete sentence?

Old 06-24-2007, 12:23 PM

These laws are designed as ticky tacky fines to bring in revenue, it clearly states that on the purpose, only gullable goody two shoe fools actually think it's about safety.

I can understand drunk driving, but 20 mph over on an interstate, forgetting a liscene, this is highly excessive and targets EVERBODY not just repeat offenders.

The questions was merely is reckless driving, 20 mph over still have discretion, can the officer say you were going 18 over?

Last edited by Yac; 06-25-2007 at 04:27 AM.. Reason: offensive part edited out, calm down.

Old 06-24-2007, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,107 times
tberg, it's completely illogical to argue about penalties against you if you break the law (and I am referring to fines for traffic violations).

If you don't drink and drive, don't drive well past the speed limit and keep all your registrations and such up to date, then you have nothing to fear.

You sound like one of these guys that does 90 on the interstate and doesn't understand how that's reckless driving.

The motives of the State don't matter. The fact is if you break a law, any law, you must pay the consequences. If you don't like said consequences then don't break the law.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:28 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,733,291 times
Calm down and be civil or the thread will be closed.
Yac.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:32 PM

I don't appreciate being lectured about being immoral.
I think these new fines are obscene and ridicolous.

I am not a reckless person, but for heaven sakes if you are going 78 in a 55 on a clear highway, if you are .081, give me a break.
Those fines are way excessive and it is quite annoying to hear the same argument from the usual goody two shoes.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:51 AM

743 posts, read 3,902,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post
The questions was merely is reckless driving, 20 mph over still have discretion, can the officer say you were going 18 over?
I think they generally do, because the radar detector can only be accurate within 2 or 3 MPH... so if they catch you going exactly 20 or 21 MPH over the speed limit, it could be argued that you were actually going 19 MPH over and the radar detector could be off...

Old 06-27-2007, 08:00 AM

8 posts, read 23,890 times
You guys have no idea what you are talking about. These are NOT fines for repeat offienders nor a way to slap those who drive "bad". This is purely a way to generate revenue.
I am President of the local GTO club. We have done a lot of research into this. This bill was introduced in secret and brought out a couple of days before the vote contrary to the law. There is current local discussion of bringing this to the Supreme Court of VA. This could get the governor and the writers of the bill into trouble.
This bill is the answer to highway revenue issue. Except the bill allows money to be spent on other items including the general fund. So all this is is a way to build a revenue stream for the state.
If you change lanes without a turn signal you are guilty of reckless driving and face $1000 per year for the next 3 years ON TOP OF the regular fines and court costs. This is not waiverable by the judge, if you are found guilty. Even if the judge finds you guilty but imposes no fine, this fine still applies.
This bill is the reason I am on this web site, I am searching for a new home outside of Virginia.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:47 AM

97 posts, read 616,540 times
Failure to give signal $1050-3000
Operate Vehicle w/ below standard tires $900
Failure to stop scene of accident $900-$3000
Failure to stop entering Highway
Dr two vehicles abreast $1050-3000
view obstructed $1050-$3000
pass on crest of hill $1050-$3000
Impeding traffic $900
No OL IN possession $900

How many of you "safe" drivers that ride in the left lane doing exactly the speed limit, seat belt on, yacking on the phone, belts showing out of tires, causing other people grief/accidents are guilty of any of these.

This is garbage, and those who put Kaine up there should be the only ones required to pay these hideous fines! How long historically does it take for governments to collapse and start over? gettin there.

NC is always looking better and better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia