Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 10:29 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,679,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post

this is highly excessive and targets EVERBODY not just repeat offenders.
No not everybody. Just Virginia residents. Nonresidents violating Virginia traffic laws are exempt from these new civil penalties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 08:28 AM

8 posts, read 23,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbrn4 View Post
BTW, some of you don't have to be rude, condescending and a know it all in your responses while telling us "some of us dont know what we're talking about".
I stand on my comment as THESE are the quotes I was speaking of...

Quote:
The new laws are specifically aimed at repeat offenders and those actually convicted of the offenses. It's all about safety.
Quote:
I'm very happy about the new laws. Just drive safely and you won't have any problems.
Remember, 1 time getting caught changing lanes and not using your turn signal is reckless driving and 1000 a year for 3 years.

For those of you searching for this idiotic law, here is the link:

http://www.courts.state.va.us/publications/hb_3202.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by bronko91; 07-02-2007 at 08:39 AM..

Old 07-02-2007, 10:10 PM

97 posts, read 616,493 times
There are other ways to resolve money issues than to keep hitting the taxpayers over and over. How about reduce spending for once or maybe keep the legislators salary increases regulated. How can a 4x increase in fines not be voted on by the people anyway?

Our roadways need work but why should only few pay for everyone's issues? There has to be some kind of limit for a maxium % that any one person pays to the federal/state/local gov't. Do they think if they have 20 different taxes we won't notice that we're working 6 months a year to fund misappropriations of our money? We're being taken for idiots.

At least I got some unemployment this year, thank God for free money (though I still pay taxes on it). Prob. be the only time this life I'll get to see any state loot.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:17 AM

23 posts, read 94,816 times
Well, I was planning to leave Virginia before this lunacy became law. All this does is tell me that doing so is the right decision.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:00 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,541,581 times
As you'd imagine, the new VA traffic fines got QUITE a bit of discussion on overnight trucking radio. FWIW, I'm mostly in favor of the fines. But I can see some problems with it, as well. I worry about the U.S. and state highways where the speed limit suddenly drops from 55 mph to 35 mph. Will every "hole in the wall" town now take advantage of a new revenue stream? As for failing to use turn signals, that's one of my pet peeves. So maybe that's reasonable, as well. I see quite a few court challenges coming. I also see the traffic ticket lawyers scoring a bonanza. And will OTHER states decide these fines are a good idea???

Old 07-04-2007, 11:15 AM

31 posts, read 116,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jballa View Post
Failure to give signal $1050-3000
Operate Vehicle w/ below standard tires $900
Failure to stop scene of accident $900-$3000
Failure to stop entering Highway
Dr two vehicles abreast $1050-3000
view obstructed $1050-$3000
pass on crest of hill $1050-$3000
Impeding traffic $900
No OL IN possession $900
This new law is just plain scary! I am probably one of the most respectful drivers on the road and HATE bad drivers but even I think this law goes TOO far. Why? Because it leaves a driver extremely vulnerable to the overzealous cop. You know they exist and they will be licking their chops. A lot of these infractions are not so clear cut and can be left to a cops interpretation. YES drivers do get ticketed sometimes when they are not breaking the law. One of the unfortunate things about this law is it seems to punish the law abiding driver (or one that might make a small mistake) and the serial abuser of traffic laws equally. Why not make drunk driving or very reckless driver fines on the extreme side (like ten-fold) and leave the law abiding driver a first time warning?

Having said all that I am very happy I don't live in your lovely Commonwealth and will NOT be moving there.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:22 AM
ERR

4 posts, read 13,030 times
Cool Total craziness

So this is to help fund road work. Maybe it is just me. However if they could not budget the monies for transportation right the first time, how is this increase of funds going to be put to use right this time. Instead of fixing the problem just throw more money at it? Makes no sense to me.
Interesting article I found while trying to figure out how much it is going to cost me for the first ticket I have had in 9+ years.
Reason Magazine - Hit & Run > The David Albo Employment Act

Old 07-14-2007, 09:53 AM

37 posts, read 152,379 times
I completely disagree with those who think this "law" is about safety. Its about greed. Plain and simple G R E E D.

Politicians want your money so they can make money from lobby groups who have a axe to grind. Like the traffic attorneys...(The bill's sponsor, Del. David Albo (R- 42nd District) is a partner in a law firm that specializes in traffic court cases. I wonder much money he got as campaign funds from his lawyer buddies).

Also the auto insurance industry would like to stick it to you too. NOTE: Points for driving offenses remain on the offender's license for up to 11 years. So insurance companies can't wait to get their hands on your wallet, again and again.

11 years!!! I know of people who got less time for manslaughter. Also, for this guy who killed someon, his prior bad acts were not introduced in court. Yet for drivers all your mistakes will bite you for 11 years.

Laws have been known to be wrong before. Just coz its "the law" does not make it right and just.

Did I mention that points will now stay on your record part for 11 years? <grin>

Repeal this law or get ready to be recalled.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:23 AM

31 posts, read 116,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbrn4 View Post
The new laws are specifically aimed at repeat offenders and those actually convicted of the offenses. It's all about safety.
You obviously haven't gone through and analyzed this law. May you be the first to get slammed with a huge fine for forgetting to put on your blinker.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:31 PM

599 posts, read 1,261,273 times
Thought I'd bring this back to the top as something very interesting is happening in our town as a protest against these huge fines. Our Town Manager has proposed striking the unpopular fee law from the town code and one of our Councilmen is predicting that other localities will soon be doing the same thing. Now mind you our town has a population of about 13,000 so we're not talking about a huge area here but I'd be pretty proud of our Town Council if they succeed in making this happen. Any comments?
Deb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia