Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 02:30 PM

414 posts, read 2,280,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peltie View Post
I recently got clocked at 88 in a 65 on I81 near Dublin. The trooper gave me a speeding ticket and didn't charge me the reckless. Told me to keep it under 70.

It cost me less than $150! Paid it over the phone.

Of course, I am female...
Youze one lucky Mofo!! lol Because the cops in NoVa will generally bag anyone that is speeding fast enough to get a Reckless Ticket!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 07:48 PM

3 posts, read 14,547 times
With the new fines that took effect on July 1st, I would retain an attorney. The residents of VA get penalized far more than an out of state individual. Out of state license holders are exempt from the new fine schedule. My advice would be to retain an attorney!

I drank 1 beer over a perid of four hours - can anyone here tell me how I registered a .14 on a breathilizer??? I was convicted for DUI, made to go alcoholics anonymous, furthermore - made to go for counseling for my "alcoholism". In addition, I was told I was using alcohol to solve my problems because - that morning I was notified that a friend of mine was killed the night before in an accident. My closest friends took me to dinner to listen to my grief over my loss. I had a beer - whoopee! In the end, a $10,000dollar beer!

Good luck!

Old 07-12-2007, 09:19 PM

2 posts, read 12,102 times
Get an attorney. I had my license for 11 years....I am 27. I had +4 points on my license when I was pulled over on I-66 for reckless driving. I went to court without an attorney and they took my license right there in the court room. An attorney outside the court told me to appeal the case and they would give me my license back (I need to get home!) and that would give me time to come back with an attorney. I hired an attorney.....got my car tested (3 miles off) and went back to court a month later and received a regular speeding ticket and paid a $300 fine. The attorney cost $700. He tried to charge me $1500 but I told him that I could not afford it and he lowered his fee. I was clocked going 79 in a 55 zone. Don't mean to scare you but my best advice is TAKE IT SERIOUS!!!!

Old 07-13-2007, 07:21 AM

414 posts, read 2,280,177 times
It definately behooves anyone that gets a Reckless Charge in VA to get an attorney to represent them. Especially if the charges aren't backed by the cop getting you on radar!!! Reckless Charges are Misdemeanors in VA, in addition to this the charge will jack-up your insurance rates like a mofo too!!

Old 07-22-2007, 09:00 AM

5 posts, read 28,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vauser View Post
Is 15 miles over speed limit considered reckless driving in VA? I thought it was 20 miles over limit.
20 is considered reckless, and so is anything over 80.

The ticket i got was 87 in a 65, so even though it was 22 over it was considered 7 over reckless.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:47 PM

3 posts, read 14,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyHU944 View Post
It was my first speeding ticket, but had previously gotten a ticket for failure to yield. I was going 87 in a 65, so only 22 over yet 7 over reckless on I-81 near lexington. I did not get an attorney. I did not do any driving safety classes, I had to do an 8+ hour class in the result of my previous ticket though.

When I arrived at court, I plead No Contest which allowed me to explain my situation which could have changed the judges decision. My fine was $200.
My 20-year old son recently got cited for reckless driving (88/65) on 81 near Lexington as well. He was driving my Jeep down to VATech to visit his girlfriend. To make matters worse, he was one day away from getting his license reinstated fronm a 3-mo suspension for underage drinking in PA. He lied to us when we asked if had gotten his license back. Despite all this, he's a a good kid and a good student.

I did get him an attorney and our court date is June 20th. The attorney say Judge Saunders if tough but predictable. We checked the speedometer but it didn't help. My main goal is to get the charge reduced to speeding or expunged at the earliest opportunity. Was your Judge Saunders as well?

Some sites suggest getting character witness letters and a copy of your driving record. Any other suggestions or experiences that might help us? Thanks.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:16 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Suspended license and caught driving....good luck and be prepared to pay out some bucks and he'll be lucky if he DOESN'T do jail time. The Judges aren't playing the Character Witness game anymore. With the amount of deaths on our roadways in Virginia, the laws are getting tougher.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 8,636 times
I recently got caught doing 84 in a 55. I got a citation to appear in court on a reckless driving charge. This is my first ticket, I have been driving for 7 years. What can I do and how severe will this charge be?

Old 02-11-2009, 01:13 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovalaws View Post
I recently got caught doing 84 in a 55. I got a citation to appear in court on a reckless driving charge. This is my first ticket, I have been driving for 7 years. What can I do and how severe will this charge be?
Lawyer, traffic school, copy of driving record, dress up, be respectful. I feel like a broken record here.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:39 PM

162 posts, read 657,764 times
I have a pristine driving record and have never been pulled over (hopefully that didn't jinks me!)

Anyway, VA speed limits, at least in Hampton Roads, are stuck in the past. 55 MPH on most highways around here. Another thing is the continual change from 55 to 45 back to 55. You'll ride for 2 miles or so and it'll change. There always seems to be a cop conveniently sitting right where it changes, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia