Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:58 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,435,619 times

Advertisements

Charolettesville by all means!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 10:30 AM

178 posts, read 788,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancysi View Post
Thank you so much!!!!! I wasn't getting any replies and I was worried that I was asking too many questions ... my other posting is likely too long - I will be working in Farmville as a Professor and have an hour drive either place I live - and I know, long drive but I am used to it - which would be easier to drive to Farmville from - Richmond or Charlottesville? Traffic wise road wise - likely no traffic where I am going but still curious.

The rents are about the same I am finding - (I have more detailed post - so I will not bore you now ..... ) but getting to D.C is it easier from Richmond or C-ville? Driving? Train? and the Beach - which months are good for it's use? Crowded at the Beach? Sorry for being so 'clueless' ....

Also, now, I am Hindu - but raised in Canada and America so I like diverstiy of all kinds - which of the two has more liberal politics? I am not even sure if I worded that correctly - I noticed more Ethnic gorcery stores in Glen Allen and a Hindu Temple (although I am not overly religous more spiritual, it is nice to know one is there) - but the demographics showed few Asians in Richmond and more in C-Ville - is that true? Will I be welcomed as a visible minority in Richmond or C-Ville? That may sound stupid - I know but again, I am completely clueless to the area(s) - I did read what you wrote but is there any insight you can add to the Asian observation(s) .... Thank you again.
Hope this helps we lived in Richmond for a few years 2001-2004. It's a nice city but isn't really very diverse (I'm Hispanic) . My observations of Charlottesville are that it is a more liberal town and has an upscale feel to it . Richmond on the other hand is closer to DC (wonderful city),has more shopping with the West End expansion and I believe the south side as well. I do know the Indian/Pak community in Richmond is very tight. As far a beaches go the nicer beaches are in North Carolina's outer banks. Roads in the winter are going to be worse in C-ville since it's up in the mountains

Old 07-13-2007, 05:39 PM

26 posts, read 157,420 times
I would like to thank everyone for their feed back - and I was torn between the two places - actually, I really liked Virginia (I know it is hard to know when you just visit) but I found the roads really easy to drive on - the people really nice and the state really clean (I am big on clean). I think that C-Ville is lovely - but more so if you are part of UVA - however, really charming. I am not sure that people are more liberal there - perhaps the student body is - but I found it similar to Richmond and both seemed 'o.k' with regard to people - in fact, I saw more diversity in Richmond (I was in the west end) and the development is unreal! I can't believe how much is being built. I was a little hesitant on the move over all based on certain things, but for now, I think the west end of Richmond will be an easier transition - feels like Jersey (all the stores ... ) of course, every place feels like Jersey to me ....

Old 07-22-2007, 10:07 PM

80 posts, read 326,757 times
My family is thinking about moving to VA from PA. My husband is an automotive technician, and it seems like Richmond would be his best bet to find a job. Some friends of ours are moving to Waynesboro or Charlottesville, and those areas sound very nice, but they seem too far of a commute. Are there similar areas closer to Richmond? I have four children, and I would like good schools, shopping, and nice parks. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:05 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,706,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
FYI, I'm not a realtor....

and labeling all of Richmond dangerous is like someone labeling Farmville a backwater hick town that has a big furniture store and that's about it... ignorant

Poverty and crime are quite concentrated in specific areas which none of us would recommend to a newcomer.

Good luck Nancysi on whichever city you choose... both offer a good quality of life and many amenities.
you realze Richmond City has topped both New York, Chicago, Miami and DC in murder rates within the last decade atleast twice right? And i mean for each occasion those cities were topped not all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia