Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 08:00 PM

7 posts, read 13,240 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are originally from the east coast and ended up in CA for school/work. Our original 5 year plan has turned into a 15 year plan with kids.

We have had enough of CA and with Brown to be the new gov in 2011 the desire to get out has never been stronger. We visited VA 2 years ago and simply loved the Jamestown-Williamsburg-Roanoke area as well as Richmond.

My question is: how is the opportunities for teachers (that's me)? What area is best for teaching and 2 kids (1 in 2nd grade and 1 in pre-school)? How about opps for my wife-BFA from Cal Arts with 16 years in the animation biz?

-Where you are working...looking for a job as a middle school teacher
-How much you are willing to spend on housing...we have a 350k house right now so about that much
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate...i commute 35 min each way now
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? ...public if it's good
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?...small town feel/excitement with lots to do for a family with 2 young kids
-Community amenities important to you...very-having something for the kids to do is important and for all of us to be involved in the community is something you don't get here in CA
-Pie or cake?...depends on who you ask in my family.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Brian

Last edited by bcass; 11-09-2010 at 08:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 06:41 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,314,990 times
You'll likely want to stay South of the Rappahannock or West of the Blue Ridge. You should probably go whereever you can find a teaching job in those areas.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:36 PM

forgive my lack of VA geography. I assume it's the Rappahannock River and the Blue Ridge Mountains? so you're saying to stay away from the coast? We've heard some good things about Roanoke and Charlottesville

Last edited by bcass; 11-11-2010 at 09:47 PM..

Old 11-11-2010, 10:57 PM

6 posts, read 11,889 times
I am from Va,Went to the largest public art Univ in the US,VCU in Richmond. If you live in Ca as I do in the Bay area. Most of Va is going to be culture shock. Northern Va outside of DC is as sophiscated as San Francisco with a economy recession proof due to the federal government and the military. Went to high school in Alexandria ,remember the Titans TC Williams. Richmond is the state capitol with a large student population mostly VCU 32,000 students. The best public University for Fine Arts in the US.
Roanoke is beautiful with affordable real estate with a new Taubman Art museum. That area is influenced by Virginia Tech which is close . Anywhere you go is going to be more conservitive than Ca. Espicially Williamsburg which is a retirement destination . Pretty boring . If your idea of enterytainment is going to a shopping center you will be in heaven. . Richmond has some neat neighborhoods ,The Fan is beautiful. And because of the Univ there is music,Dance,Theatre,Fine Arts restraunts and diversity. The mountains are gorgeous. I love Staunton. There is so much history there . I was just in Williamsburg . Aside from Bush gardens and the re created historic area there is not much to do there . I lived in Richmond for 6 years . Less than two hours to a international city with the best museums in the world free DC. Good luck.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:13 PM

One area you might want to check out is Loudon County ,Leesburg area,40 miles to DC. There is lots of work in the area. Theres plenty of small towns nearby,within 20 or so miles .The country side looks like England,Check out Waterford, then theres Maryland,Frederick is gorgeous,as is Sheperdstown West Virginia,Warrenton,Middleburg,Purceville,Va. All these places are within a hours drive to DC. The Potomac and Shenandoah rivers meet there. Spectacular. Once you get 40 or so miles out of DC you are in the country. Also you get 50 miles south of DC and you are in the South. Richmond is a southern city. If I was looking for work teaching art it would be in that area. If your wife wants to work in animation DC is it. Good transportation in that region. Trains,Metro.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:22 PM

The Rappahannock runs through Fredericksburg to the Chesapeake . Very different feel than the mountains Charlottesville. Worked in Deltaville at the end of the Rappahannock 30 plus years ago ,left because I was single and bored out of my mind. No social life. People pretty unfriendly and undereducated.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:21 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,314,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcass View Post
forgive my lack of VA geography. I assume it's the Rappahannock River and the Blue Ridge Mountains? so you're saying to stay away from the coast? We've heard some good things about Roanoke and Charlottesville
I meant you should probably steer clear of the DC suburbs of Northern VA, based on the preferences you wrote.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:03 AM

19,304 posts, read 17,193,101 times
You really would be better off securing a teaching position first and then evaluating the surounding areas. VA is not CA it runs more conservative but in terms of goverment were much more fiscally sound. You'll find both good and bad schools in all regions you just have to do your homework. Northern Va can be a hectic, expensive rat race with a commute near DC requiring you to pack a lunch. Fredricksburg is just on the fringes, more influenced by DC but far enough away to have a good suburban lifestyle. Charlottsville is quite eclectic with UVA there and all that includes. Richmond proper has a lot of issues that may impact it as your choice but the surrounding counties are excellant for schools and living.

Good luck with your choice.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:24 PM

More conservative is okay with us. It's the extreme libs that have gotten CA in the financial trouble it's in.

What is your opinion of C-Ville?

Old 11-14-2010, 04:26 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,234,561 times
Check out the forum for Charlottesville.
Charlottesville is definitely more liberal than the counties surrounding it & Albemarle County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia