Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2007, 12:56 AM

14 posts, read 95,685 times

Advertisements

My husband, 6 yr. old daughter, and I have moved to Virginia. My husband got a job offer with ComCast Cable.
We are currently staying with a co-worker in Woodbridge, VA. and do not like it here. I am looking for something more country and less city.
We drove to Culpeper a few days ago and I fell in love with the scenery and area. We looked at a house for rent, but are having a hard time finding many rentals to chose from there. We are looking for a house (preferably), not an apartment. If anyone knows of any rentals, could you please email them to me..I have searched everywhere online and just haven't found much.
Also, I have researched the schools there, which seem fine to me, but I have read some previous posts about over crowding and other issues. Is the elementary schools horrible there or are they pretty descent? My daughter willbe a 1st grader this year.
I have also read that it is turning into a ghetto. Is this true?
Please help me and give me any information you may have on this town.
Thank you SO much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 07:02 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
I can't imagine Culpeper turning into a ghetto, but I'll leave it to someone who's a little more knowledgable of the town. I know they're building new schools to alleviate some of the crowding.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:47 PM

15 posts, read 95,095 times
Wow, well if you're looking for more country then that's a good place to go. I grew up 15 min. away in Remington which is in Fauquier County and lived there for about 20 some years and spent a lot of time in culpeper and lived there for about two years. It is building up very fast around that area and a lot of housing, stores and restaurants are going up around there. You may want to pick up a paper to look for rentals, they are very hard to find, it has been two years since I lived there and when I did I was renting out a 4 bedroom house with 5 acres for 1400 a month. I am currently in Front Royal which is even more country, more underdeveloped and definately cheaper. I worked in Warrenton then and still do now. Then it took me 30 min to get to work, now it takes 45 min, not too bad. My fiance' works in Manassas and it takes him about 45 min each way which is pretty good.

I'm not exactly sure if I would call it ghetto yet. Expect there to be a lot of rednecks in camo and there has also been a growing number of hispanics, though i'm sure there is probably more in Woodbridge.

I can't give you much information on the schools. My sister transferred to the highschool in Culpeper from Fauquier and compared to Fauquier's schools it was pretty easy and not very challenging at all.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:07 PM

How are Front Royal's schools? I looked up the town online, and it looks lovely as well. It actually 4 miles closer to Woodbridge, than Culpeper. I may consider moving there instead...LOL!
Is it a nice place?

Old 07-22-2007, 06:39 PM

982 posts, read 3,487,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberette View Post
My husband, 6 yr. old daughter, and I have moved to Virginia. My husband got a job offer with ComCast Cable.
We are currently staying with a co-worker in Woodbridge, VA. and do not like it here. I am looking for something more country and less city.
We drove to Culpeper a few days ago and I fell in love with the scenery and area. We looked at a house for rent, but are having a hard time finding many rentals to chose from there. We are looking for a house (preferably), not an apartment. If anyone knows of any rentals, could you please email them to me..I have searched everywhere online and just haven't found much.
Also, I have researched the schools there, which seem fine to me, but I have read some previous posts about over crowding and other issues. Is the elementary schools horrible there or are they pretty descent? My daughter willbe a 1st grader this year.
I have also read that it is turning into a ghetto. Is this true?
Please help me and give me any information you may have on this town.
Thank you SO much!
Amberette,

What price range are you looking in? I had a renter contact me about a week ago about moving to Culpeper. I know of a couple 4-5 BR homes that are renting between $1400 and $1600.

Last edited by Tish Thompson; 07-22-2007 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: Misspelled name

Old 07-22-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberette View Post
How are Front Royal's schools? I looked up the town online, and it looks lovely as well. It actually 4 miles closer to Woodbridge, than Culpeper. I may consider moving there instead...LOL!
Is it a nice place?

It is a beautiful town... The schools??? Well as a new (non-teacher) employee in that school system I know that the reputation is not good. However, I just don't see why sometimes. The teachers seem great. The kids seem involved, etc... Guess there are just some real imbecile kids in the Middle to High School Range that trash the curve on the SOL scores or something....

One thing is for sure: Warren County High School is moving to a brand new location, we're near completion on another brand new High School and then they start rennovating the Middle Schools in the next 2 years. If ever these schools are going to rise up. Now would be the time.....

Old 07-23-2007, 07:57 AM

My husband will be making wonderful income. We are looking for something with ATLEAST 3 or more bedrooms, ATLEAST 2 bathrooms....preferably a house. And we prefer not to go above $1500/month. Which gives us ALOT of options.
We are having a hard time finding a realtor that doesn't do credit checks, cause to be honest, my husband has terrible credit...but we are VERY trustworthy and will have quit enough money to pay the bills. I just wish we could find someone that would be willing to give us a chance...ya know?
But, if you know of anything, PLEASE let me know..LOL!
Thank you.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:28 PM

Check propertymanagementunlimited.com . That's where I looked when I first moved out here and they seemed VERY lax on credit checks as mine isn't stellar either and they said "oh don't worry about that too much"....

This company is based out of Strasburg but they have a few listings that might fit what you're looking for..... (this is for the Front Royal area of course, not for Culpeper.....)

Old 07-23-2007, 04:47 PM

15 posts, read 95,095 times
I kept my nephew this past school year and he is 9. He loved his school out here. I'm 25 and spent my whole school life in Fauquier which has excellant schools. Comparing it to when I went to school it seems to be lacking in funds around the area just from seeing the papers being sent home looking for Volunteers to work in the lunchroom and requesting volunteering parents to send in some contruction paper and what not. The teachers did seem very nice and it seems like they could give a little more attention with decent sized class rooms.

One thing to consider too is how much you like the snow. Not like we get crazy blizzards all the time. I just know I did not enjoy the snow around here since I had to go to work and it was a little treachourous, not to mention I live in a mountain area. There's some decent housing in town and then you go a little outside of town and that's where it gets quiet, more spread out, the roads are not fun to drive on in the snow. Though i've been in Culpeper during the snow too and they are aweful at cleaning off the roads. It will look so bad in Culpeper and you're heading to work wondering if you should be driving out there and as soon as you hit Fauquier line it's just wet pavement and good from there.

The one up side is pretty much anywhere you live in Front Royal is minutes away from 66 which seems to be pretty conveinient, where in Culpeper you have to take 28 or 29. All roadways which would eventually backup anyways depending on what time you leave, 66 just seems to be an easier drive.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:41 PM

24 posts, read 40,163 times
please elaborate on "turning into the ghetto". You know some may find that to be offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia