Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 01:21 PM

4 posts, read 14,804 times

Advertisements

My husband, children and myself will be moving to Floyd, VA in the coming year. We are thinking about starting a business, but before we do that, we would like to hear from folks from the Floyd and surrounding areas about what types of businesses are needed particularly in Floyd.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 01:26 PM

415 posts, read 1,960,975 times
Traffic light installer
Rumor has it that when Floyd finally got their first traffic light, the sheriff was the one who ran a red light first!
Honestly, it's more of a "don't bring stuff to Floyd", it doesn't need chain shops (Starbucks / strip mall type) or the like.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:05 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,571 times
That's a tough one. With such a small county/town population you'd have to find a niche that would cater to tourists yet not alienate the townies. There are alot of eateries. There are probably enough art galleries. I'm not sure. Maybe an outfitter for country folks? Somewhere people can buy rugged clothing from dickies to carhartts to _insert expensive brand here_. Stuff that tourists would also peruse and think "gee I really could use this $128 pair of work boots" or "wow these $56 gloves made from hemp are really soft and warm". But also a place where the locals could find a good selection of winter / outdoor gear.

Sean

Old 08-15-2007, 03:33 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
That's a tough one. With such a small county/town population you'd have to find a niche that would cater to tourists yet not alienate the townies. There are alot of eateries. There are probably enough art galleries. I'm not sure. Maybe an outfitter for country folks? Somewhere people can buy rugged clothing from dickies to carhartts to _insert expensive brand here_. Stuff that tourists would also peruse and think "gee I really could use this $128 pair of work boots" or "wow these $56 gloves made from hemp are really soft and warm". But also a place where the locals could find a good selection of winter / outdoor gear.

Sean
How about a country doctor? Or maybe there already is one? Where DO the people of Floyd go for medical needs?

Old 08-16-2007, 06:48 AM

Default businesses needed in Floyd

Traffic Light Installer now there is an originial idea. Never thought of that... but I like it.
I understand there are limited jobs up that way - I wonder if staffing will be a problem. Food for thought.
Please continue to post ideas. I appreciate your thoughts and ideas.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:36 PM

I think Carilion has a family clinic in the Floyd area. And there is a hospital in Montgomery County / Blacksburg that's +/- 30 minutes from the town of Floyd. Remember, Floyd County population is only 15,000 and the town is probably a fraction of that. By most standards its a mighty rural area. It just happens to have an eclectic little town that draws alot of tourism relative to its size.

Sean

Old 08-17-2007, 06:22 AM

Default businesses in floyd, VA

I like your idea of a niche market that attracts both tourism as well as the locals. While I live and work in Charlotte, I am originally from Southport, NC and 15 years ago the town was a lot like Floyd. I will continue to do some digging. Thank you for your replies - it's greatly appreciated.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:49 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,889,780 times
Default Businesses needed in Floyd

The folks of Floyd don't need anymore businesses. They just need a good shop to buy their pot supplies...maybe a Bong Store.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 4,117 times
How about one of those "Mailbox Etc" or whatever they're called, mailing, copying and faxing services. I've often wished there was one in Floyd, as we live at the bottom of two miles of rough driveway and the UPS/FedEx trucks won't deliver to our house, and you can't get UPS/FedEx at a P.O. Box.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:33 AM

Yeah good idea, I bet a UPS Store would do well in Floyd!

Sean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia