Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 03:08 PM

68 posts, read 110,125 times

Advertisements

It is highly unlikely that these credits will transfer to GMU.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 8,446 times
Default For Profit

I see a number of people mentioning that Strayer is a for-profit organization and that anyone can graduate as long as you pay your tuition, even though the degree you receive would not be respected.

First, yes - it is a for-profit organization. Many private colleges are. That does not mean you won't receive a good education. In order to get accredited, the school must meet the same curriculum requirements as every other school.

Second, simply paying your tuition does not guaruntee you a degree. There are requirements outlined in their course catalogue that will show you that. While the vast majority of students do receive their degree, it's not because they paid tuition. Just like other schools, you cannot graduate if your grades are below requirements. There have been plenty of people who did not graduate because of this.

Third (and this is for the person who said the only good degree is the one you work full-time for 4 years for), that's rediculous. Many people (myself included) did not have the grades or the money to go right into a 4-year school out of high school. My only option was to get a job. For those people, you're saying they should find a way to get into a 4-year school? That's impossible for a lot of people. How can you go to school full-time, work full-time and raise a family? (Keep in mind that traditional 4-year schools very rarely offer night courses for working adults.)

Fourth, I agree that there may be some people out there who will not respect a degree from Strayer University. However, that number of people is shrinking. In fact, US News named Strayer University one of the nation's top colleges for 2008.

Is the school expensive? Yes, it is expensive. I actually just started working for Strayer about a week ago. Without the education benefit, I wouldn't even be able to consider going here. However, it's only taken me a week to realize just how great this school really is. You can go to school at the campus or online. You can apply for book vouchers to assist with your books. The programs they offer require you to take the same classes you would take at any other school and the professors are professional with PLENTY of experience. After all the research I've done (most of which I did before accepting the position), I realize how unfair it was for me to criticize a school I'd never even stepped foot in. I'm starting at the bottom of the ladder at this school, but within 4 - 5 years I'll have my Bachelor's. It may not be a "prestigous" as a traditional 4-year school, but my office experience coupled with my degree will prove to any employer that I'm worth the money I want.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:30 PM

103 posts, read 900,114 times
Good for you!

Old 08-16-2008, 09:28 PM
XSE

5 posts, read 30,993 times
I read every post here and everyone has made good points about going to an online vs a brick and motor school. I only see one problem with Strayer and that is the 180 credits needed for Graduation for a CIS degree. I attended a community college which I believe most of my credit will transfer over. I also have a few certifications that will allow me to cut down on the total credit hours needed.

I'm currently attending Franklin University online and haven't heard anything bad about there program or seen anything negative about them online(I'm sure there has to be something out there, but I haven't seen it). I pay $335 per credit. That is about the same as Strayer would cost per class. But, I only need 124 credits to graduate and all of my Information Technology from my associate degree transferred.

Sitting in a traditional classroom doesn't make you any better than those who take classes online. Many people who are more traditional can't even take classes online because they don't have the discipline to complete the work without having the professor hold their hand.

Last edited by XSE; 08-16-2008 at 09:49 PM..

Old 09-27-2008, 11:56 PM

3 posts, read 23,608 times
I must say this. In todays fast pace world, most schools have some form of online learning. ODU has online learning; even your Ivory league schools offer online learning. You can attend night classes at ODU also. The quality of education you receive - will along be as good as you put into it. But it’s people like you that give the bad names to these schools and programs, because of your person beliefs.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:58 PM

I agree with you - right on point

Old 09-28-2008, 12:25 AM

I must say that I have found a lot of positive post here, but have also found a few negative post. You know, it is your effort that you put into anything. You have kids that go to 4 yr school and put in half the time and then you have the older adult that goes to school - at night or evening or online and put it more time that your traditional student. College is what you make of it - not matter where you go.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:07 AM
XSE

5 posts, read 30,993 times
I must also say that when you are filling out an application for employment with any company. They don't know if you actually attend the college physically or via online.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:51 PM

2 posts, read 15,648 times
I must say that was quite a response. Almost EVERY college or

University in today's world know has online classes, including BOSTON

UNIVERSITY. Are you implying that people that are doing their degree

online are not getting a good education and that the degree that they

receive will not be respected? Thats basically what your post is saying.

Because Strayer University just like Boston University it has "Brick

bulidings" and online classes, Boston University is one of the top schools

in the country so to make this comment about Strayer University is really

silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
I really hate to be a downer, especially since I don't know much about the costs or really even the classes. But a degree from a brick & mortar place (like ODU) will be more respected in the long run. I know Strayer works well for lots of people, especially those that need the flexibility of online and night classes, so I definitely see its appeal. On the other hand, when I worked in IT we had several folks with the same IT-type degree from Strayer. Two were great, and three were.... well.... not very good. It really gave me the impression that they will give a degree to anyone who can pay their fees. Also, FWIW, the place I work now, which does tuition reimbursement, won't pay for Strayer.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 15,648 times
Default Strayer University

Give me a break, and you are basing this fine idea on what exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2544 View Post
It is highly unlikely that these credits will transfer to GMU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia