Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 04:25 PM

673 posts, read 3,146,751 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are both attending Strayer University both online and on campus (in Newport News). We've had a pretty good experience with it, but its sooo expensive, especially when compared to places like ODU. Just wondering if anyone else is going to Strayer and your thoughts on it.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:32 PM

267 posts, read 1,675,092 times
I don't take their classes, but I had a boss who taught one. For him, it worked fine. He did say his students were all working and needed the ability to take online classes. I know it's pretty flexible, but it is expensive.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:37 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,755,739 times
I really hate to be a downer, especially since I don't know much about the costs or really even the classes. But a degree from a brick & mortar place (like ODU) will be more respected in the long run. I know Strayer works well for lots of people, especially those that need the flexibility of online and night classes, so I definitely see its appeal. On the other hand, when I worked in IT we had several folks with the same IT-type degree from Strayer. Two were great, and three were.... well.... not very good. It really gave me the impression that they will give a degree to anyone who can pay their fees. Also, FWIW, the place I work now, which does tuition reimbursement, won't pay for Strayer.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:55 PM

68 posts, read 110,125 times
Look at Ripoff Report: By Consumers, For Consumers I think you could make a more valuable diploma with Adobe. IMHO, very few, if any, of their credits would transfer to ODU--and the same goes for U of Phoenix. The Public University system in Virginia is second to none--take advantage of it.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:10 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
the one thing i'd hate after going into debt for school (in Strayer's case big debt) is getting a diploma that no one would respect. With my options down there i'd choose Hampton, ODU, CNU, even Norfolk State over Strayer in that order. I go to a highly-regarded comm college (Northern Virginia in Alexandria) and i'd probably get more respect than a strayer degree.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:27 PM

Both my husband and I attended Thomas Nelson community college before attending Strayer. The classes there were easy, I've actually found Strayer classes to be alot harder and challenging. The company I work for has tuition reimbursement so I havent had to worry about paying for my education.

I've found other colleges around here dont want to deal with the working adults, and it would take us that much longer to get our degrees. Christopher Newport wont even take any local people in anymore! They want everyone who is a traditional college student who has their parents paying their way. The transfer person in charge at Thomas Nelson even told me I'd have a slim to none of getting into CNU with a 4.0 because I live in Newport News and work full time.

Everything I read about Strayer that has been bad was all about people having financial aid problems. Well, I dont have to deal with any of that and I'm very lucky. I know SEVERAL people who have graduated from Strayer and have gotten huge promotions in my company and elsewhere in the area.

Also, I have a friend who graduated from Grantham University with his degree in IT. I have NEVER heard of this school and couldnt tell you where its located. Well, he makes over $80,000 base pay and $100,000 a year with overtime working for a government contractor. He tried to attend Penn State for his Masters and couldnt pass the enterance exam! Yet he knows his job and he's great at IT, his masters was going to be in business.

Strayer is not strictly online, and has a campus here in Newport News and throughout the east. My husband and I are taking our general classes online and plan to take our Bachelors classes in the classroom so we have the hands on experience. I plan to go elsewhere for my Masters.

I appreciate your comments on Strayer but feel that people from all over the world can go to "top notch" schools and still be complete idiots. I work with engineers all day long that mostly come from Virginia Tech and ODU and half of them dont know how to function in the real world. They cant even get calculations right!

Old 08-23-2007, 08:17 PM

68 posts, read 110,125 times
The government hires people based on race, and this is even more true for promotions. So if you are going to be a part of some company's quota--be my guest. I once worked for a minority contractor, who had a Ph.D from Western Pacific (and his own jet). I don't think he could have passed ninth grade English in Fairfax County. It worked for him; maybe it will work for you.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:28 PM

267 posts, read 1,675,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2544 View Post
The government hires people based on race, and this is even more true for promotions. So if you are going to be a part of some company's quota--be my guest. I once worked for a minority contractor, who had a Ph.D from Western Pacific (and his own jet). I don't think he could have passed ninth grade English in Fairfax County. It worked for him; maybe it will work for you.
Wow, if that were true, it would be illegal. Your whole statement comes across as racist. Does this come from years of studying the government and particular schools or just one individual? Strayer is expensive, but it does show initiative to go to school and that's what a lot of employers are looking for.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbrn4 View Post
Wow, if that were true, it would be illegal. Your whole statement comes across as racist. Does this come from years of studying the government and particular schools or just one individual? Strayer is expensive, but it does show initiative to go to school and that's what a lot of employers are looking for.

Well said. I'm not a minority so that is what makes the response so interesting. And the people that I know who got promoted with their Strayer degrees are not minorities either. Its fine to have an opinion but I just ask for some respect and not for someone to be so judgemental.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:15 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,921,444 times
I attended one year of full-time community college after high school. The rest of my educational path through to the MBA was done via night, weekend, and online school. My Masters degree did in fact come from Strayer. Living in Spotsylvania, I had no other choice at the time without commuting to Richmond or No VA.

Even though I feel my MBA has not been viewed with the respect it should, I have peace of mind knowing that I earned every credit via hard work and collaboration with my student peers.

That being said, it's a shame that people look at the school name versus the work that went into the degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia