Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 10:23 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,267,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy77 View Post
bigfoot if you are saying i am nasty you are very wrong .I treat people like I want to be treated .I try to go above a beyond to be nice .My neighbors need something fixed around there houses ,I help .I am called the neighborhood handy woman .It seems that people don't have time or patience anymore .They seem to be more into there cell phones than being social .If you are working in a store and you have customers then they should be what you concentrate on .Thats what your job is correct .I hope so also I like my neighbors choff5 and I go to NC and shop now even more because I don't get that there .VA loss -NC wins .I guess NC has friendlier people
I never said you were nasty. Your words, not mine. I just said it might be you. Maybe you don't project a very nice attitude. And what's with the periods at the end of your sentences? They are supposed to go at the end of the last word. Just trying to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 07:08 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,324,193 times
What peculiar punctuation!

Old 04-29-2012, 07:53 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,438,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
What peculiar punctuation!
I wouldn't be surprised if it's done on an iPad. I have had more weird spellings, punctuations, etc. using this if I don't do a real good job of proof reading.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:54 PM

774 posts, read 1,860,025 times
Default It's Everywhere

Interesting thread.
Without a doubt, Sissy77 has been THE MOST helpful person I've encountered from ANY state. To view the way the posters reacted to her frustration is extremely revealing.

I noticed that she was lightly cross-examined rather than taken seriously. That says a lot about long, "offender-protective" patterns that many people have.

Dear friend Sissy77 ... allow me to add my .02

IT'S EVERYWHERE.
People are angry.
It's estimated that 85% of the American population is walking around with some degree of trauma and untreated, trauma turns into personality disorders like, "Anti-Social Personality Disorder, Mood Disorders, Narcissism, and Borderline."

So you may think you're dealing with a "normal" person, but in fact your dealing with a frustrated, angry, jealous, passive-aggressive, person who may have grown up in an abusive home, and in the background of their mind, they're worried about their children. So, they go home and turn on the Rush Lingbaugh show and feel somewhat redeemed, but even more self-righteously positioned to point the finger at the next guy instead of opening their hearts to one another and sharing their brokenness so that they can work to solve and heal.

Even their churches tell them to hate and kill Muslims.
The middle class is disappearing.
Another round of house foreclosures are coming.

Instead of learning the VERY valuable information you have to share, they circle the wagons and load the muskets, and bully anyone they can in hopes they'll feel better about themselves.

It's the time we're living in.
Everyone loves their kids and the kids are either on Facebook, or smoking brain numbing weed. (Hell ... some of them are smoking and drinking with them!) But they want their kids to be strong. There just isn't very much long range thinking going on. When you try to bring it up, they shut down because it contradicts what their hearing on the radio ... and that scares them. Endless circles.

Most folks feel painted into a corner ... and it's them who's holding the brush.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:51 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,267,635 times
I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:45 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,295,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I have no idea what you are trying to say.
That we're apologists for the mean people who are apparently everywhere but we don't or can't see because we're in denial?

Old 04-30-2012, 10:11 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,103,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
IT'S EVERYWHERE.
People are angry.
It's estimated that 85% of the American population is walking around with some degree of trauma and untreated, trauma turns into personality disorders like, "Anti-Social Personality Disorder, Mood Disorders, Narcissism, and Borderline."

So you may think you're dealing with a "normal" person, but in fact your dealing with a frustrated, angry, jealous, passive-aggressive, person who may have grown up in an abusive home, and in the background of their mind, they're worried about their children. So, they go home and turn on the Rush Lingbaugh show and feel somewhat redeemed, but even more self-righteously positioned to point the finger at the next guy instead of opening their hearts to one another and sharing their brokenness so that they can work to solve and heal.

Even their churches tell them to hate and kill Muslims.
The middle class is disappearing.
Another round of house foreclosures are coming.

Instead of learning the VERY valuable information you have to share, they circle the wagons and load the muskets, and bully anyone they can in hopes they'll feel better about themselves.

It's the time we're living in.
Everyone loves their kids and the kids are either on Facebook, or smoking brain numbing weed. (Hell ... some of them are smoking and drinking with them!) But they want their kids to be strong. There just isn't very much long range thinking going on. When you try to bring it up, they shut down because it contradicts what their hearing on the radio ... and that scares them. Endless circles.

Most folks feel painted into a corner ... and it's them who's holding the brush.
Not sure if I was reading the correct thread or viewing doomsday scenarios???

Old 04-30-2012, 10:22 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,103,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy77 View Post
It seems that people don't have time or patience anymore .They seem to be more into there cell phones than being social.
That's apparently one of the problems in society.

Another one is that all of this new social media has, IMO, made people more self-absorbed or self-interested, insular, and concerned about themselves versus others. Honestly, I don't give a hoot when someone posts about eating a hamburger or walking down the street or how cute their dog looks at the moment. I actually find this behavior narcissistic (as well as boring). Furthermore, I have noticed (mostly with younger folks) the lack of communication skills -- how to conduct basic conversation and how to hold a conversation. They can't seem to translate their thoughts and often times come across as brusque, rash, and confused.

Also, the lack of basic courtesy and etiquette (which is a reach at this point).

When we were growing up, our parents made sure we greeted people, responded with a "please" or "thank you", and didn't tromp on someone's lawn or take things without permission. Manners, IMO, reflect upbringing.

Quote:
If you are working in a store and you have customers then they should be what you concentrate on.
If you are being treated poorly or unacceptably, ask for the manager. Don't hesitate. The rude salesperson won't improve so don't waste your time and just ask for someone higher up.

And, write a letter to the manager and corporate and/or get on some blogs and other means to explain your situation. I have written plenty of letters about lousy and rude workers. And no one wants to hear about how lousy their business is.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:54 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,122,047 times
I lived in VA my entire life until recently, and people are no ruder there than anywhere else.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:26 AM

774 posts, read 1,860,025 times
Default This ain't Kansas anymore.

I'm from California.
Born and raised.
Even California ain't California anymore.

I've traveled most of the world.
I've driven trucks to every state except Maine and Florida.

... and I KNOW things have changed.
California too.
People too pissed ... or too screwed up... move here and try to make the same mistakes here that they made wherever they were. It's life. So many that to be a native, I'm considered, "rare."

To not see the changes ... well ... that's an interesting topic all it's own.
I say, "live and let live."

We have soooo many stressors on deck right now in this country.
So many view points and far too few who have the courage to attempt to tackle them. Most of us like to point fingers and blame the other guy. Fact is, there's always three pointing back at me.

Sissy77 is one of my favorite members on this board.
She's given me more insight than anyone in any state has ... and she's made Virginians look good. Someone was rude to comment on the way she types. Perhaps they thought it made them look bigger. That only showed how rude and immature they were. Nothing large or Christian in that kind of behavior. No maturity or compassion...

I've been a Technical and Professional Writer since 2000. There are soooo many doctors, engineers, and others with great minds ... yet with ... "unique" ... writing skills that it isn't even funny. It's almost the norm. That's why Tech Writing is a career field. Math geniuses with Masters who have the essay skills of second graders. Nothing new ... and nothing to feel one way or another about. Just is.

Too ... we have people who have awesome grammar skills ... but far too many have marbles in their heads. Reading what they write is like watching a monkey try to explain brain surgery.

Science shows that change is the only constant in the universe.
Most folks fear change.

Sissy77 ... perhaps the answer to your question about rudeness to "foreigners" is due in part to some people holding views they know aren't right ... or at least, not popular. Take for instance ... racist or sexist views ... or concepts that put others down in hopes of feeling "better-than."

They might ask you where you're from as a "litmus test" to see if you hold the same views. If you say you're from some far off land like ... New Jersey... they might automatically close down in fear of not wanting to show their dirt ... in fear of feeling shame over the cruddy things they believe in.

So don't feel it's about you.
I know if you're a good-hearted person and you keep encountering closed-hearts ... well ... after a while it hurts. But that's a spiritual opportunity!

Every problem is an opportunity in work clothes. Takes some people a long time to open up to what the propaganda has told them is threatening to them. Patience. Just find the people who like you or think like you and let the others do what their good at ... things like hauling compost or goose-stepping. (We need those too.)

Peace and blessings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia