Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 11:47 AM

4 posts, read 8,933 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been talking and we've decided that we would like to move to another area. Currently were are in Waynesboro, VA. Were looking for a small city on the east coast with a population of approx 40,000 people give or take, that is also located near (30 to 45 min. drive is accessable to us) a larger city of maybe 200,000 or better (give or take of course). Also with local access to a beach. Just to give you an Idea the cities we've checked out so far that we liked/havn't liked have been:

Annapolis, MD - Loved (high cost of living)
Frederick, MD - It was okay (seemed like a great place to maybe visit)
DC - Too much city/travel is aweful
Glouster, VA - population approx 15,000 - It was okay. May be heading back for a second look because it is close to New Port News, VA.
Lancaster, VA - Wayyy too secluded.

Were looking for a medium sized town with a small town feel, that has access to a larger city near by. With a reasonable cost of living (i.e. maybe $900 a month for an apartment because we'll be renting for the time being). I dont know if this is too specific or not specific enough. Were open to Virgina, Maryland, and North Carolina.

Please let me know if there are any questions. My E-mail is Tom.Russo2012@gmail.com.

Thank you for your time!!!
Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 10:20 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,015,075 times
Hi Tom.

Your list is very similar to that of mine and my husband.

We too loved Annapolis, but same as you, realized it was WAY too pricey for us. Crime is also high there, but we are finding that is a problem in a lot of of places in the south.

Have you been to Williamsburg? That's currently on our list, but the drawback there is a somewhat higher cost of housing than we would like, and no ocean. We can't let go of wanting to be close to the ocean since we are a walk away where we live right now....

Have you looked at Easton, MD? You might like that, but I don't believe there is a beach. Very pretty little town though. It just seemed a bit isolated to us and not as vibrant as we want.

We had the same impression of Gloucester that you did - iffy. It just didn't strike us the right way. Not sure why. The downtown is cute, but again, missing that vibrant vibe that Williamsburg has.

We are now looking in SC as well, since if we're going to put up with the heat and humidity that VA has, we may as well be near the ocean. Check out Mount Pleasant, SC. Very close to Charleston, which is beautiful, great health care, several great beaches within 5-10 min (Isle of Palms, Sullivans Island) and housing prices that are reasonable.

Let me know how you make out!

Old 07-11-2012, 11:00 AM

4 posts, read 8,933 times
Default Response

I havn't checked out Easton, MD yet. Honestly with the recent heat wave we've had I've pretty much decided against going North. I've really enjoyed the hot weather (yes, the 105 degree days). I'll have to do some research on Mount Pleasnt, Charleston etc. I really wasn't looking to go any futher South then North Carolina. My wife and I are going to head down to N.C. next weekend to check out Raleigh and Charlotte. As for the pricing the higher the cost of living, the higher the wages. Raleigh looks like it has some nice apartment living opportunities (more like resorts to us then apartments). Keep me informed and i'll try to do the same. Raleigh seems to have a lower cost of living then Charlotte and their both supposed to have a small town feel (which I don't know if I fully believe but will soon find out). Although, as you previously stated it would be quite the hike to the beach. I'm just concerned that South Carolina is too far south. My wife and I honey mooned in Myrtle and lets just say I was less then impressed with the drive down there. We saw quite a few shady characters/locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia