Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 01:47 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,577,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
Well, we already (FCPS) have armed officers in schools. What's the big deal?

These wouldnt be professional security, apparently - though perhaps the Gov will clarify that point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 01:53 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,001,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
These wouldnt be professional security, apparently - though perhaps the Gov will clarify that point
I don't think he necessarily had a point. I think he was eluding to the fact that people are reacting off of emotion over this situation without considering other possible solutions than just trying to give gun control. People are up in arms about his statement but he didn't suggest anything other than just having an open conversation. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
I don't think he necessarily had a point. I think he was eluding to the fact that people are reacting off of emotion over this situation without considering other possible solutions than just trying to give gun control. People are up in arms about his statement but he didn't suggest anything other than just having an open conversation. Nothing wrong with that.

Its too early to have a discussion about gun control, but NOT about relaxing gun free zones at schools? I see.

The NRA is hoping to stall until the anger passes, then use their $$ and clout to prevent any change. Thats what they did after each previous mass shooting. Their friends are supporting this strategy, by trying to change the subject.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
I don't think he necessarily had a point. I think he was eluding to the fact that people are reacting off of emotion over this situation without considering other possible solutions
I look forward to the Governor looking for a more data based approach to the death penalty, to sex offender registration, and to other policies adopted in whole or in part based on emotional reaction to upsetting events.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Its too early to have a discussion about gun control, but NOT about relaxing gun free zones at schools? I see.

The NRA is hoping to stall until the anger passes, then use their $$ and clout to prevent any change. Thats what they did after each previous mass shooting. Their friends are supporting this strategy, by trying to change the subject.
He never endorsed anything, he just said it should be a discussion. I don't understand how he said we shouldn't discuss gun control.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:28 PM

"McDonnell said he is still stunned by Friday's mass shooting and believes the immediate aftermath of such events is not the right time to make policy changes. However, a larger discussion about the related issues is appropriate. "The key is don't over-react. Don't react when you're emotional because your policies might not be right. The key is looking at what works," he said. "

I read that as "dont jump into a discussion of gun limits, but DO discuss related issues" Its possible he wants to discuss arming school officials AND he wants to start a discussion of ways in which tightening Va gun laws might also be appropriate. If so, I look forward to that discussion.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:50 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,792,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutyotsuk View Post
....Israel does this, also.

We really need to stop using Israeli teachers to compare too. Nearly every Israeli (teacher) after graduation from High School went into the military and thus have training in using all weapons correctly and under stress conditions. American (most) teachers do not even come close to these qualifications.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:02 PM

223 posts, read 515,407 times
then look at the Thai teachers....been doing it for 7 years...no one was accidentally killed. They were previously losing one teacher per month. A different threat, but the results were the same, and the way they curtailed it was to arm them. A 93% Bhuddist' nation, no less; they respect all forms of life and most wouldn't kill a mosquito.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
"McDonnell said he is still stunned by Friday's mass shooting and believes the immediate aftermath of such events is not the right time to make policy changes. However, a larger discussion about the related issues is appropriate. "The key is don't over-react. Don't react when you're emotional because your policies might not be right. The key is looking at what works," he said. "

I read that as "dont jump into a discussion of gun limits, but DO discuss related issues" Its possible he wants to discuss arming school officials AND he wants to start a discussion of ways in which tightening Va gun laws might also be appropriate. If so, I look forward to that discussion.
Because all people are talking about is gun control. Don't you think it's easier to justify passing gun control laws after one of the biggest mass shootings in this nation's history than to discuss expanding them? He is just advocating for having a broader discussion because so far it's been completely one-sided. I mean what is the President talking about passing? It's certainly not expanding gun accessibility.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:08 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,792,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutyotsuk View Post
then look at the Thai teachers....been doing it for 7 years...no one was accidentally killed. They were previously losing one teacher per month. ....
Then you missed the shooting a little over a week ago.

Quote:
Hundreds of schools in Pattani and Narathiwat have staged brief closures in recent weeks to protest at the risks facing educators, more than 150 of whom have died in the insurgency.
Six killed in Thailand shooting - thenews.com.pk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia