Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 05:04 PM

12 posts, read 28,837 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were offered an acre by some friends and we are looking into building our own home. The house we have selected is 350 square feet with a loft. The HOA doesn't have a problem with small houses, but I'm curious if the county is going to treat it like a large house. Also, will I need a building permit if I build the house on a trailer? Yes, this is an option - it's on the blueprints.

Last question, it has an alternative perk. Can I have a wastewater capture and composting toilets instead?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 11:18 AM

419 posts, read 903,135 times
What county or incorporated city? The codes vary in each. In Nelson County it used to be able to stick a trailer on a minimum acreage and you were pretty much ready to go. Now you have to meet placement, drainage and perk requirements. In Norfolk what you want would be a no go no matter the lot size. It varies a lot so contact the county of city and ask them, I have found the planning and code folks throughout Virginia very helpful and accommodating.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:47 PM

3 posts, read 6,037 times
[FONT=Verdana]"I have found the planning and code folks" : throughout The USA, to be the dregs of society ! ---- Government scabs that should be plucket off and stopped at all cost !

Don't ask for permission and Never - Ever, tell these stupid government people anything, they can tax or use against you !

As I understand it, Relocatable Homes on trailer frames are able to be built, by any "mechanically qualified" individuals using them, in most all states as I have read. Additionally, one would have to road tag it, so it can be moved on public streets legally. The weight, height, width, and road worthiness is a matter of what is proper for trailer frame, where one will go ( or can get away with perhaps ) ,but there are standards that can be designed into the trailer. Waste water tanks are a standard, on my Winnebago, we dump them where we can properly when were on the road and if were in a hidden location, I have dug & buried myself a septic tank and dry line to support the waste system . I also never asked the Gobber-ment for a permit for that either !

No more than 8 feet wide and properly framed ( as in the frame under the house ) , not over weight for the tag, with proper marker & trailer lights and a good hitch & wheels & tires & vehicle to pull that monster , will be of paramount concern if your going far or inspected by or stopped by the cops.

Here in Georgia , we can build a "Homemade Trailer" go and buy a tag at our county tax office , where residence is recorded per our drivers license and then pull it legally, where ever we wish all dependent of course upon our drivers license restrictions or movment permits , if for example widths are extra wide , or Air brakes or special equipment is involved .

Parking it overnight in a camp ground , may be a question for the specific campground or state park system Mg'mt. as some have "policies" against homemade looking trailers and the question as to where to put anything permanently , built on a trailer frame, may be a better posed as to where can one never see another neighbor again !

Happy Trails Neighbor !
[/FONT]

Old 03-18-2013, 04:13 PM

1,812 posts, read 4,224,477 times
I would recommend that you go to the building & zoning folks with the county government --- is it Louisa? I am pretty sure you need a building permit.

Speak to the right county folks about your alternative septic system too.

Folks who build without proper permits risk trouble. People who build in violation of zoning laws or even restrictive covenants have been ordered to tear down their improvements. This may not happen often, but it happens. When it does, you've wasted all that time and money and then have to pay to demolish and remove the improvement.

Even if you think you will never sell this place, life happens. Trying to sell a home that lacks proper permits can lead to major problems too.

Why risk trouble? I suspect what you want to do is fine. So do it right with the proper permits and inspections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia