Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 06:01 PM

38 posts, read 84,321 times

Advertisements

I have job offer to these two locations with similar salary. I am a single male in my late 20's and still very into dating scene. I like going to music festivals, museums, and restaurants during the days, and like to party occasionally in nightclub and lounges at night.

I am offered to work either at Fredericksburg VA or La Plata MD with similar pay. I am trying to decide between Fredericksburg VA or La Plata MD for work. I would like to live somewhere between my workplace and DC. Should I work in Fredericksburg VA or La Plata MD? And which city should I live between DC and city where I work? I wanna to hear you guy's recommendation. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 04:23 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,222,175 times
I would post your question in the Northern Va subforum & the Maryland forum if you have not done so already.

I lived in Charles Co., Md and now live in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. I would pick Fredericksburg because I like Va better.

If you work in La Plata and live between D.C. and La Plata, that would put you in Prince George's County, Md. Lived there too for a long time when I was much younger.

Good luck whichever place you choose.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:08 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
I'd choose Fredericksburg. It's a cool little town anyways, based on a very short visit, and there is a VRE station that would take you direct to Washington DC whenever you want.

I don't know much La Plata MD though. But it's not connected near any MARC trains that would take you into DC very easily. If DC factors into the decision at all.

Not only that, but Fredericksburg is also half way to Richmond, so you'd get access to another metro area.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:42 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
I have lived near La Plata and my mom used to live outside of Fredericksburg, so I have had experience with both towns and I can tell you, you want to pick Fredericksburg based on what you are looking for. La Plata is nice but it is a very small town and very isolated. Living near there won't give you a ton of options. Pretty much if you're not living in La Plata, then you would be living in Waldorf more than likely and those are virtually the two main places you would be able to go when you want to go out. As far as night life, museums and what not, La Plata doesn't have a lot of that, but it is closer to DC. I believe Fredericksburg has more options when it comes to those things and you would be right in between Richmond and DC, so you can actually go to either city for those days/nights you would like to go out.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:41 PM

60 posts, read 118,707 times
Based on your criteria, I would pick Fredericksburg--the presence of Mary Washington University in Fredericksburg will give you more cultural/social/dating options than would LaPlata. Fredericksburg is a charming college town. Also, I admit that I do have a pro-Virginia bias (yes, I have lived in both states).

Old 05-23-2013, 11:18 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'd choose Fredericksburg. It's a cool little town anyways, based on a very short visit, and there is a VRE station that would take you direct to Washington DC whenever you want.
The statement in bold is incorrect. The VRE is a commuter train that runs Monday through Friday and well outside of clubbing/partying hours. It definitely won't get you to DC whenever you want.

General Schedule Information - VRE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia