Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 06:48 AM

396 posts, read 417,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post

I've been impressed with Virginia politics lately. Virginia seems to be more tolerant and progressive compared to its southern neighbors.
..and as we're all learning, these two concepts do not mean what they claim to mean. This is not a good thing for VA.

Old 06-11-2021, 10:43 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,683,469 times
It means wonderful things for Virginia. Our urban areas are growing through an influx of educated and healthy people. More people are insured and poverty rates are dropping (and are already way lower than any other southern state, we also have the lowest infant mortality in the South and rate among the highest educated and wealthiest states in the country).

Inclusion and respect are great for business. Our bond rating is still the highest it can get and the state continues to be ranked in top 19 states for business. Socially we’ve entered the 21st century and it hasn’t come at the expense of business which is what the domesday cultists always try to scare you with.

By every metric Virginia is better than it was a few years ago and it will continue to get better.

Old 06-11-2021, 10:52 AM

20,101 posts, read 9,008,929 times
the South begins south of Fredericksburg Va.

Old 06-12-2021, 05:21 PM

230 posts, read 220,143 times
Virginia is Virginia. It features a unique blend of Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Deep South, Sunbelt, and Appalachia characteristics. Virginia’s varied geography, cultural influences, and rather complicated history make it one of the most dynamic and interesting states in the country. I’m glad it can’t be lumped into any one larger region.

Old 06-13-2021, 04:46 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,239,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dominionite View Post
Virginia is Virginia. It features a unique blend of Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Deep South, Sunbelt, and Appalachia characteristics. Virginia’s varied geography, cultural influences, and rather complicated history make it one of the most dynamic and interesting states in the country. I’m glad it can’t be lumped into any one larger region.

With the transient nature of people and jobs is any state really what they've believed themselves to be for all these years? Look at the oil field/states and the high number of folks who came in from other states to live and work. Sometimes temp but still long enough at times to possibly make some changes. Heck, look at the NY population in Fla. Some areas sound like I am in NYC when I am visiting.

Old 07-01-2021, 08:00 AM

230 posts, read 220,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
With the transient nature of people and jobs is any state really what they've believed themselves to be for all these years? Look at the oil field/states and the high number of folks who came in from other states to live and work. Sometimes temp but still long enough at times to possibly make some changes. Heck, look at the NY population in Fla. Some areas sound like I am in NYC when I am visiting.
You make a fair point, but I would counter by saying the level of different types of diversity you find across Virginia makes it much harder to lump the Commonwealth into a specific region than most other states.

Old 12-17-2022, 12:06 AM

4,416 posts, read 5,149,807 times
Outer Virginia isn’t much different than central PA or even western Maryland even. Virginia is southern from Roanoke and SW from there.

Safe for me to say VA is a northeast state. Only NOVA is in the NE corridor, but the rest is jus like the outer Northeast.

The question is if West Virginia is Northeast as well. Heck, should Kentucky be midwestern?

Also considering how vast the South is stretching from the Atlantic to El Paso, Why is the Northeast broken off from the Midwest. Shouldn’t it all just be the “North”?

We’d have three regions. West, North and South.

Old 12-17-2022, 07:46 AM

7,329 posts, read 4,124,944 times
I moved down here from New York City. Virginia is not in the Northeast! Not by any means!

Old 12-18-2022, 04:04 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,400,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I moved down here from New York City. Virginia is not in the Northeast! Not by any means!
Probably not your Yorktown, but I agree with UrbanQuest that NoVA is definitely part of the Northeast.

UrbanQuest, you are forgetting Alaska and Hawaii. I would kinda lump Alaska in with the western states, much of the time, but Hawaii is its own thing.

Old 12-18-2022, 07:37 PM

107 posts, read 51,233 times
Virginia was part of the confederacy. In fact, the capital city of the confederacy was Richmond, Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia