Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2006, 01:17 AM

2 posts, read 7,305 times

Advertisements

I have to write about a state I admire in my high school class and set a story in it. I've always wanted to visit Virginia and want my story to be set there. I really like everything i here about it. Anyway my character is an African american girl who lives in an older neighboorhood perhaps or in a less fortunate area. She has an African american friend who lives in a more affluent neighboorhood. My story has to be about conflicting living situations so that is why i have 2 characters in 2 different settings. can anyone help me out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2006, 07:22 AM

145 posts, read 834,511 times
Richmond. The hood is very close to the wealthy part. It is the former capital of the Confederacy and home to many African Americnas, so there is a lot of history that would make a good setting for your story. Do some Google research on Richmond, maybe Wikipedia as well. Post it here when it's done. Good luck!

Old 08-13-2008, 10:51 AM

2 posts, read 6,817 times
The most famous street is Monument Avenue which has statues of a number of Confederate generals plus Lieutenant Arthur Ashe. Ashe great black pro tennis player, tragically died of AIDS from a blood transfusion. Ashe thought black kids shouldn't go into sports since only a few actually make the big time. Monument is a beautiful boulevard with fine old houses and trees on either side. Richmond is pretty flat in the middle - easy to walk around. Google for pix. Richmond has very high crime rate. VCU in Richmond has good art school. Richmond near to Colonial Williamsburg (restored colonial capital) and Yorktown. Williamsburg is worth visiting if you ever get out that way. They keep it immaculate, or they used to. Good luck! - Peter

Old 08-15-2008, 05:58 PM

55 posts, read 141,815 times
Richmond is strange in that some streets are for the super wealthy and others, a few blocks away are considered ghetto. Just to give you some ideas for your story, perhaps your rich friend could live on Monument Ave and go to a private school, while you live on Leigh Street and go to a public school. The rest of the story can be left to your creativity.

Also, to petehh, VCU is the #1 public art school. VCU also has several other programs in which it is nationally ranked, such as Public Health, Psychology, Social service, and not to mention MCV...

If you ever go to visit RVA lil sweetie, make sure you use common sense and stay out of areas that look like they might be "ghetto". Also, VCU territory is marked by a yellow ram in the middle of the road. (VCU territory is probably the safest in richmond). Enjoy your visit!

Old 08-15-2008, 08:15 PM

36 posts, read 149,365 times
Richmond is kind of a hybrid city like Jason said, a couple streets over could be a wealthy area. I don't really consider any part of Richmond dangerous during the daytime, although there are some places I wouldn't frequent at night. Some areas of Chesterfield are much worse.

Seeing as it is a made up story, just make it up.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:51 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,203 times
She probably isn't working on this paper anymore since the original post was almost 2 years ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia