Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 06:18 PM

203 posts, read 414,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Virginia ... is a commonwealth, one of only 2. Massachusetts is the other commonwealth. Strict enforcement of law in these states. You can look it up. Even when rolling into Va. on the NC/VA state line, you are greeted with "Speed Enforced by Aircraft" "Radar Detectors Illegal". They need to add another sign: "Welcome to the Police State of VA"
Hard to believe that you went to school in Virginia, Coastalbum. Please be advised that Kentucky (originally Kentucky County, Virginia) is also a Commonwealth. Likewise the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

(Puerto Rico is a Commonwealth also, but PR is not a State ... not yet anyway.)

People who drive up I-95 from NC at an excessive rate of speed should be damned glad when they read those warning signs on the highway as they cross the VA border (assuming they know how to read).

The Virginia State Police are just trying to help keep the rest of us who use the highway safe from the stupidity of reckless drivers and those who drive in an altered state.

And if you think that makes us a "Police State" you shouldn't be driving in Virginia! Sober up and ride Amtrak or call a taxi!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 09:29 AM

382 posts, read 871,268 times
I thought it was unconstitutional to set up random roadchecks, that they had to be posted beforehand.[/quote] (from CurseOfWilmore)

Random roadchecks or checkpoints are not unconstitutional. They must, however, be set up in a very specific way so that your Constitutional Rights are not violated. Those are decided by Supreme Court rulings and State laws regarding stops. There is no law in Virginia stating that a checkpoint must be posted before hand, I believe some other States do have that law though.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:46 PM

8,095 posts, read 10,130,677 times
MY last speeding ticket was in Virginia. I-81 in Smith County. Local cowboy pinched me for 78 in a 65. I thought it was a pretty chicken $hit ticket, but he was proud of himself.

A week later he was killed driving his personal vehicle, lost control on a snowy road, and flipped over. Perhaps if had been wearing his seat belt it might have helped.

Karma is a b itch. I avoided Virginia for nearly a year afterward. It cost them thousands in meals, hotels, gas, and miscellaneous good will just to collect their couple hundred lousy dollars.

Seems to me they could do a better job of collecting revenue under the guise of "making the roads safe".

Old 05-30-2014, 01:09 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,284,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
MY last speeding ticket was in Virginia. I-81 in Smith County. Local cowboy pinched me for 78 in a 65. I thought it was a pretty chicken $hit ticket, but he was proud of himself.

A week later he was killed driving his personal vehicle, lost control on a snowy road, and flipped over. Perhaps if had been wearing his seat belt it might have helped.

Karma is a b itch. I avoided Virginia for nearly a year afterward. It cost them thousands in meals, hotels, gas, and miscellaneous good will just to collect their couple hundred lousy dollars.

Seems to me they could do a better job of collecting revenue under the guise of "making the roads safe".
Go away troll.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:01 PM

8,095 posts, read 10,130,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Go away troll.
Look it up.

And I don't appreciate your snarky comment. Especially from someone who is supposedly in law enforcement.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:18 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,603,651 times
Got a speeding ticket here, I was speeding. Cop+judge (I chose to appear) were very professional.

You want "police state" drive through a place policed by village/town cops in NY where they answer to no one and everyone is related.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:54 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,284,925 times
Quote:
Look it up.

And I don't appreciate your snarky comment. Especially from someone who is supposedly in law enforcement.
Retired from LE in 09 so I can be a jerk to anyone anytime I want.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:53 AM

1,679 posts, read 3,024,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
I disagree. The police is only allowed to stop those that break the law, don't break it and nobody will bother you. Our traffic laws are reasonable and they are designed to protect public safety, enforcing them doesn't make Virginia a police state, that is absolutely not the definition of a police state. Totalitarianism does not equal police enforcement. I think many Americans are so used to freedom that they forget the true meaning of terms like tyranny, communism, repression, etc. I see these terms thrown around way too often in ways that make absolutely no sense.
You think going 81 MPH on the highway should be a felony?!

People like you are the problem with this country

Old 06-01-2014, 09:04 AM

1,679 posts, read 3,024,502 times
Quote:

This is so true

Police get all high and mighty questioning their authority is unquestionable.

Yet after-all they are the hypocrites Priceless!

Old 06-01-2014, 12:30 PM

867 posts, read 1,402,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Retired from LE in 09 so I can be a jerk to anyone anytime I want.
hmmmmm smh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia